Forbes: Elliot Rodger was not diagnosed with autism

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2014, 12:23 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Droppy, I am sorry to hear that.

Uh, don't worry, I am used to being compared to a serial killer at least three times a day on the web and at least once a week IRL. I guess that's because I get angry easily and I say scary things when I'm frustrated or just because I am a creep in general.
In elementary school they used to call me "Hitler's reincarnation". I never understood why, I never said something like "I hate Jews" or "I want to kill millions of people". I guess I was just a moody creep back then as well so people thought I was comparable to someone who ordered the execution of an entire race.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 2:07 pm

FireyInspiration wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
"Just after the shootings, the family?s attorney made a statement claiming the Rodger had a diagnosis of Asperger?s. However, he backtracked on that a day later, saying instead that Rodger ?had not been diagnosed with Asperger?s.?

"Rodger apparently was evaluated by several clinicians, yet reportedly did not have an autism diagnosis".

source, http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillin ... had-anger/

Relief to most people here, I'm sure. Does come a little late, and unfortunately this news likely will not be seen by the masses

And also the Wiki page about this incident still incorrectly states that he was diagnosed with AS. :?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 10:09 pm

That's a load off my shoulders. I can't believe that people are still seeing our population as a bunch of freaks after all those decades.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 12:05 am

OMG Anything is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Been there, done that. Having people go, "EEEK!! A FREEEEEK!!" doesn't exactly cause you to have warm, fuzzy feelings toward the human race wherein you strive to protect them and want their precious lives to continue. At best, it tends to lead to things like you gritting your teeth or chewing your lips into hamburger as you repeat, "They're people too, and so am I" over and over and over and over and over and...

These days, my first impulse is to go, "OMG, a typical!!" and slink away quietly before they decide to hurt me. j
Sick of the whole attitude.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 2:43 am

Venger wrote:
FireyInspiration wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
"Just after the shootings, the family?s attorney made a statement claiming the Rodger had a diagnosis of Asperger?s. However, he backtracked on that a day later, saying instead that Rodger ?had not been diagnosed with Asperger?s.?

"Rodger apparently was evaluated by several clinicians, yet reportedly did not have an autism diagnosis".

source, http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillin ... had-anger/

Relief to most people here, I'm sure. Does come a little late, and unfortunately this news likely will not be seen by the masses

And also the Wiki page about this incident still incorrectly states that he was diagnosed with AS. :?

And Australia's national 24 hr news broadcaster.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 3:15 am

Good grief. even if he did have Aspergers, i think that would have as much to do with him going on a homicide spree as him having Athlete's Foot. Why is Homicidal always left out of the equations with the media when it comes to mass murderers? What made him do it???? Did he have Aspergers???? Was it Video Games???? Was it an Ingrown Toenail???? BIZZZZT! He did it because he's Homicidal! !! ! End of diagnosis :roll:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2014, 10:50 am

EzraS wrote:
Why is Homicidal always left out of the equations with the media when it comes to mass murderers?

Because it is meaningless, pointless, and tells you absolutely nothing.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2014, 10:55 am

Verdandi wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I don't think it matters whether he was autistic or not. What matters is whether he'll show up in a prominent article about how dangerous autistic people are, along with fellow "not-autistic-but-described-as-such-anyway" Adam Lanza.

Fortunately, the reaction to his spree has not been "OMG autism", but rather "OMG misogyny, psychosis, narcissism".

OMG psychosis is just as ableist and just as bad for people with psychosis-related mental illnesses as OMG autism is for autistic people.

Psychosis doesn't lead people to being any more violent than anyone else. It shouldn't be the first thing people assume when hearing about a shooting.

True. I guess the "fortunately" there was selfish.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 10:49 pm

ker08 wrote:
it does make me curious what he was actually diagnosed with.

I read somewhere(Buzzfeed possibly) that he was diagnosed with Schizophrenia. I'm not 100% sure if this is true because I don't trust most popular news articles anymore considering how much they make up not-cited, BS scientific claims that lack evidence.