Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 5:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hi Ann,

Haven't seen you for like 5 days.

Who is that in your icon?

You can figure that out for yourself...lol
I've been on - not in the same places I guess.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 6:16 pm

I can't figure it out for myself; that's why I asked you LOL.

It looks like Princess Leia from Star Wars.

It wasn't necessary to get snippy.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 6:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It wasn't necessary to get snippy.

I'm not being snippy. Lol I'm a bit drunk. End of the month money, the monster isnt autistic, yadayada. Anyway, I an obnoxious drunk.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 6:25 pm

That's all right; I guess we all need to be "in the sauce" at times.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 8:00 pm

Thank you for posting this :)

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 11:01 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I don't think it matters whether he was autistic or not. What matters is whether he'll show up in a prominent article about how dangerous autistic people are, along with fellow "not-autistic-but-described-as-such-anyway" Adam Lanza.

Fortunately, the reaction to his spree has not been "OMG autism", but rather "OMG misogyny, psychosis, narcissism".

Lanza was actually diagnosed, when he was 13. It's in the final police report that came out many months after the incident, as well as a few articles, i.e. http://time.com/19957/adam-lanzas-viole ... aspergers/

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2014, 12:42 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I don't think it matters whether he was autistic or not. What matters is whether he'll show up in a prominent article about how dangerous autistic people are, along with fellow "not-autistic-but-described-as-such-anyway" Adam Lanza.

Fortunately, the reaction to his spree has not been "OMG autism", but rather "OMG misogyny, psychosis, narcissism".

Lanza was actually diagnosed, when he was 13. It's in the final police report that came out many months after the incident, as well as a few articles, i.e. http://time.com/19957/adam-lanzas-viole ... aspergers/

Lanza's dad gave an interview recently. He said his son probably had undiagnosed schizophrenia or was a psychopath: Adam Lanza's Father Interview Link

One quote from the article:
Quote:
...Peter Lanza said that he is convinced the Asperger's hid his son's schizophrenia.

'Asperger's makes people unusual, but it doesn't make people like this,' he told the magazine.

ammmartin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2014, 12:54 am

NTs are so quick to blame it on autism; just because he probably didn't have any friends much less a girlfriend (which is the same in my case) doesn't mean he's autistic nor did it have anything to do with his killing spree.

Rather the usual and often tiresome mainstream media are at least attributing to misoygny and of course living in a maled dominated culture in which men are suppose to make the differences which played a part if not a complete part in his actions.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2014, 5:48 am

Ann2011 wrote:
Really!?! That's awesome!

ASD is not the only poorly-defined mental condition which can be manipulated to an individual's advantage...

"The former chairman of Guinness, Ernest Saunders, and two other men were jailed for their part in the share-support scandal during Guinness's £2.6bn takeover bid. Ernest Saunders was Chief Executive of Guinness at the time of the scandal

Mr Saunders was convicted of false accounting, theft and conspiracy, in 1990.

But his five-year sentence was halved on appeal. He was released from open prison after serving only 10 months when doctors said he was suffering from Alzheimer's disease, a permanent condition.

At the time of his appeal, a psychiatrist said he was unable to recall three numbers backwards and did not know who was President of the United States.

Mr Saunders health subsequently improved but his advisers denied he had made a "miraculous recovery" from Alzheimer's disease, suggesting instead his illness while in prison was stress-related.

Mr Saunders has since carved out a lucrative consultancy career while at the same time negotiating his £75,000 annual pension from Guinness."

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 6:44 am

Nice to know, however, I still hope that Rodgers and the lawyer spend eternity in a hot little pocket in Hell, compulsively anally raping each other with red-hot pokers. Sorry, Lord, but I don't do forgiveness on this one.

Why?? Because I've had to read another round of articles about how "the mentally ill" shouldn't have a right to self-determination in their care and treatment. (CNN, op-ed).

Because I've had to explain to my frothing grandmother, once again, that yes, I do have Asperger's, and no, I'm not like that guy. And not going to be.

Because I've grabbed my keys and run to the grocery store, and had to stop and wonder how much longer it will be safe for me to do that. To do something that "normal" people can not only afford to take for granted, but can afford to regard as an odious chore.

Because I've looked at my kid, on the way to the developmental neuropsych, and wondered if I shouldn't just turn the car around and let him muddle through on his own, rather than risk saddling him with a diagnosis that could very realistically diminish his personhood just to get "help," and that of questionable effectiveness and quality.

Especially that last one.

Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 7:27 am

Autism is just too convenient for some people, they see these people with few friends and poor social habits, so they're quick to label them as autistic. It's so much more complicated than that..

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 7:32 am

MrGrumpy wrote:
"people including his family were labeling him autistic after he shot up the college even though he hadnt been diagnosed,it is probably easier;in terms of shame and guilt- for families to accept a diagnosis of ASD rather than say a personality disorder and the effects from having had a dodgy upbringing"

The fact is that anyone can get a diagnosis of ASD if it suits their purpose, and if their circumstances change, then it will just as easy to get an expert opinion that ASD never existed.

please coud rephrase that mr grumpy, am unable to understand.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

31 May 2014, 7:40 am

The_Walrus wrote:

OMG psychosis is just as ableist and just as bad for people with psychosis-related mental illnesses as OMG autism is for autistic people.

Psychosis doesn't lead people to being any more violent than anyone else. It shouldn't be the first thing people assume when hearing about a shooting.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

31 May 2014, 7:41 am

OnPorpoise wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Lanza's dad gave an interview recently. He said his son probably had undiagnosed schizophrenia or was a psychopath: Adam Lanza's Father Interview Link

One quote from the article:
Quote:
...Peter Lanza said that he is convinced the Asperger's hid his son's schizophrenia.

'Asperger's makes people unusual, but it doesn't make people like this,' he told the magazine.

Neither does schizophrenia.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2014, 8:40 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:
The fact is that anyone can get a diagnosis of ASD if it suits their purpose, and if their circumstances change, then it will just as easy to get an expert opinion that ASD never existed.

Hi KOR - my point was that ASD can mean pretty well anything anyone wants it to mean. I think it is highly likely that there are unscrupulous professionals out there who are willing to provide diagnoses on demand in return for an appropriate fee.

I understand that you are one of the many individuals who need support with the practicalities of daily living - one of the aspects of Asperger's which has never been explained to me is how a single label can cover such a huge range of visible disabilities, unconventional behaviour patterns and invisible mental dysfunctionality.

I don't believe that Autism is sufficiently understood for any ASD diagnosis to have any useful meaning or purpose, except that it is a route into essential social care for people who have clear problems with the demands of daily living.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 10:19 am

MrGrumpy wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:

Hi KOR - my point was that ASD can mean pretty well anything anyone wants it to mean. I think it is highly likely that there are unscrupulous professionals out there who are willing to provide diagnoses on demand in return for an appropriate fee.

I understand that you are one of the many individuals who need support with the practicalities of daily living - one of the aspects of Asperger's which has never been explained to me is how a single label can cover such a huge range of visible disabilities, unconventional behaviour patterns and invisible mental dysfunctionality.

I don't believe that Autism is sufficiently understood for any ASD diagnosis to have any useful meaning or purpose, except that it is a route into essential social care for people who have clear problems with the demands of daily living.

thanks for rephrasing mr grumpy!
agreed on all points, we do need a lot more research into ASD and also a better way at assessing any ASD like difficulties/behaviors/traits caused by environment,poor upbringing, abuse etc from true ASD difficulties/behaviors etc, one very famous person; donna williams acts like an advocate for the whole autism spectrum and got diagnosed as an adult with a presentation of severe high functioning autism but the causes are said to be personality disorders,abuse and brain injury [she even says herself on her blog that brain injury caused 'her autism'],brain injury isnt autism nor are the effects of personality disorder or mental illness-god knows how she got a diagnosis of that level without parental input of her childhood.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!