Page 5 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 2:45 am

I haven't done much conventional genealogy stuff since failing to proof check info from My heritage before adding it . I'm now very wary about adding anything else .

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 8:02 am

firemonkey wrote:
I haven't done much conventional genealogy stuff since failing to proof check info from My heritage before adding it. I'm now very wary about adding anything else .

Did distant cousins pounce? or not so distant?

I recently found a different parent than the online consensus. Now our person has seemingly duplicate parents. Time will tell if and how it is resolved.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 8:12 am

SharonB wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
I haven't done much conventional genealogy stuff since failing to proof check info from My heritage before adding it. I'm now very wary about adding anything else .

Did distant cousins pounce? or not so distant?

I recently found a different parent than the online consensus. Now our person has seemingly duplicate parents. Time will tell if and how it is resolved.

It was stuff dating back to the late 16th/early 17th century which just didn't make any sense at all in terms of chronology .

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 2:53 am

I most likely have all of the original North American groups such as Jamestown, Plymouth Rock in Anglo North America as well as Acadia and Quebec in French North America. I also have recent what you would call big city early 20th century immigrants of Irish, Italian, Danish, and Lithuanian ancestry that settled in Chicago as well.

I am around 55% British Isles (all of them but mostly England and Ireland), 25% Italian (Sardinia and Sicily), 6% Danish, 6% Lithuanian, 4% French (Bretons that settled Quebec), and 4% German (mostly from Prussia and the Palatinate).

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 10:06 pm

I found something kind of funny. I found ancestors that went from Ohio to Iowa and to Idaho, the three states that sound similar to each other.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 11:51 am

Dylanperr wrote:
I found something kind of funny. I found ancestors that went from Ohio to Iowa and to Idaho, the three states that sound similar to each other.

Friendly teasing: Do you think they did that on purpose?

I was greatly amused when I moved from Washington (the nation's capital) to Washington (the state). I suppose living in four states and an umpteen apartments is usual enough these days. I had ancestors who were fairly static (1-2 farms or houses) and ones who were everywhere (including multiple countries). In US cities, I find the best information in the newspapers from 1850 onwards. I have yet to find newspapers internationally... perhaps b/c many areas were war torn (Lithuania, Alsace-Lorraine), or strictly farmlands --- or I simply need to research more closely.