Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 12:41 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Darmok wrote:
A genealogy program is best as you can save your whole database and print trees and reports as you like, but these printable pdfs let you enter and save data so you can make nice charts and keep a connected file of them:

http://misbach.org/free-pdf-charts.html

I just fainted a little bit. Thank you soooo much!! ! ! ! !

Which one do you use? Everyone had lots of children so I need lots of space!!

The Pedigree Chart and the Family Group Record Sheet are the two basics, one going upward and the other downward. You can pretty much keep track of all your connections with copies of those two.

I use the Mac program Reunion, which, like all genealogy programs, is really just an automated version of those two types of charts.

There Are Four Lights!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 10:31 am

Darmok wrote:
I use the Mac program Reunion, which, like all genealogy programs, is really just an automated version of those two types of charts.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

That looks incredible!! ! I'm DEFINITELY investing in that and dropping off the face of Earth as I organise my notes. Thanks again Darmok for saving the world with your interplanetary knowledge!

Question from a newbie minion:
How do you print those huge pages? Do you have to send them to a print shop?
I really don't see my printer making anything larger than a standard sized page.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 11:33 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Darmok wrote:

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

That looks incredible!! ! I'm DEFINITELY investing in that and dropping off the face of Earth as I organise my notes. Thanks again Darmok for saving the world with your interplanetary knowledge!

I really don't see my printer making anything larger than a standard sized page.

It will print a large chart on multiple pages that you can tape together. (Not beautiful, but quite functional.) I believe you can also send a file out to be printed on large paper as a special service, but I've never tried that option.

There Are Four Lights!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 11:38 am

Darmok wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Darmok wrote:

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

It will print a large chart on multiple pages that you can tape together. (Not beautiful, but quite functional.) I believe you can also send a file out to be printed on large paper as a special service, but I've never tried that option.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Last question, I promise hope.
Does Mac Reunion help you locate ancestry data, or is it just for organising the info you glean from other places?

I'd assume a bit of both, or that you can import info somehow.

Sign me up for lots of smiles soon. :P

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 12:48 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Darmok wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Darmok wrote:

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Gotcha. Thanks.

Does Mac Reunion help you locate ancestry data, or is it just for organising the info you glean from other places?

It's not an online program so it doesn't search the web for info you don't have -- you have to do that separately. There is a standard genealogy file format, however, and you can import or export files in that format if you find one online.

There Are Four Lights!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 1:24 pm

Darmok wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Darmok wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Darmok wrote:

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Gotcha. Thanks.

It's not an online program so it doesn't search the web for info you don't have -- you have to do that separately. There is a standard genealogy file format, however, and you can import or export files in that format if you find one online.

Perfect!
I have enough trouble amassing the info from Ancestry. I just needed a format to organise it all.

(( you da best )) :twisted:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 4:26 pm

Darmok
May I ask a question about Reunion? I'm doing the free demo. I loaded lots of people but it doesn't (ever) put the children / siblings in age order on the tree view. It shows me before my brother (he's older) and my dad before my aunt (she's older), even though I put the birthdates in. Why wouldn't children be shown in birth order?

AGHGHGHG

Edit: nvm :roll: I discovered I can drag and drop them. Whoops! (blushes)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 12:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My great aunt may have murdered two husbands

I"m working on this now. Turns out her first husband had immigrated from Salem, MA :skull: and was running a business with German POW's as slave labour, during WW2. There were local riots and protests about it.

Hmmmm.. This gets curiouser and curiouser.

She was a crazy lady who also abducted my mother and aunt, but that's another story.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 9:11 am

Why would he immigrate FROM the US, BACK to Germany?

It would make sense today....but not in those days.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 9:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Why would he immigrate FROM the US, BACK to Germany?

It would make sense today....but not in those days.

No, it wasn't in Germany. He had German POW's working for his business.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 9:25 am

Oh. I see :)

I should have discerned that.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 5:48 am

French and French Canadians dating back as long as 1580.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 6:27 am

I traced back to my 9G grandparents in Fewston and Linton-in-Craven, 1560.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 6:34 am

I remember making a family tree at school through Ancestry.com. People kept on pulling pranks on each other's family trees such as changing your name to something silly. I found out some interesting information, such as one of my ancestors being knighted. Something that he must've been quite proud of because he named his son after himself. Then his grandson was passed down the same name. So it went senior, junior senior and junior. Thankfully junior decided to name his children something else! :lol:

Also discovered that one of my relatives was a prisoner, but I couldn't find out what his convicted crime was. The most I found out was that he was on a prison ship made up of twenty men.

Plus, another guy apparently committed suicide but I couldn't find much on him. It seems that there was an attempt by the family to cover that up out of shame. His religious background would have likely condemned such actions.

My background based on what I've found is predominately English, partly Irish and a little bit French. I know my dad's side has mostly been Mormon whereas my mum's side Protestant. My parents themselves are both atheists though. I'm also an atheist. Personally, I find it amusing that my mum was raised in a neighbourhood where there was tension between Protestants and Catholics, yet her sister (my aunt) converted to Catholicism and my mum became an atheist. Which was probably not the plan the parents had in mind! :lol:

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2020, 11:11 am

Dylanperr wrote:

Similar here. I can't trace mine before 1600, but I found relatives in Lower Normandy, France from 1610. Sometime during the 1640s, they settled just north of Quebec City along the St. Lawrence River bank. It was pretty cool to learn there were only around 1,000 French settlers in North America when they arrived.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 2:26 am

JimSpark wrote:
Dylanperr wrote:

Similar here. I can't trace mine before 1600, but I found relatives in Lower Normandy, France from 1610. Sometime during the 1640s, they settled just north of Quebec City along the St. Lawrence River bank. It was pretty cool to learn there were only around 1,000 French settlers in North America when they arrived.

Yes, 1580 is my France French ancestors and my French ancestors became French Canadian at around 1660.