Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 5:29 pm

starvingartist wrote:
[...--so when i developed a crush on him in high school, i got his attention one day between classes while passing him in the stairwell by lobbing an apple at him that had my phone number written on a leaf-shaped piece of paper i had taped to the stem (i called his name first so he would see it coming and not get hit in the face with it). i was really proud of that gesture, actually, not just because it was brave (he was much more "sought after" by the opposite sex than i was so riskier for being rejected) but also because it was clever--and darned romantic too, if i say so myself. :lol:

Please see my first post on this thread. I threw an orange. :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 5:39 pm

Tsk tsk, all of you guys are sexists for even pointing to some social/cultural facts. How dare you to even say that most women don't initiate asking out!

You sexist pigs, you are little Eliot Rodgers :lol:! !

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 5:43 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
[...--so when i developed a crush on him in high school, i got his attention one day between classes while passing him in the stairwell by lobbing an apple at him that had my phone number written on a leaf-shaped piece of paper i had taped to the stem (i called his name first so he would see it coming and not get hit in the face with it). i was really proud of that gesture, actually, not just because it was brave (he was much more "sought after" by the opposite sex than i was so riskier for being rejected) but also because it was clever--and darned romantic too, if i say so myself. :lol:

:lol: what is it about fruit that makes it so effective? :lol:

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 5:45 pm

starvingartist wrote:
Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
The thread is not sexist, though repeating this (very wrong in North America) notion that men have to be the initiators is sexist (and, once again, totally false -- if women aren't coming on to you, it's not because they believe they can't, it's because they don't want to).

Not true. I mean you are right that it's sexist to say that women should never initiate but the part in brackets that says that if they don't initiate, they're not interested is totally wrong. First of all, you've ignored that from a cultural perspective, men are expected to initiate in terms of traditional dating roles. So, in my experience at least, most of the women I've interacted with would never take the initiative in asking a guy out first and would rather wait for the men to ask them. I'm not saying that there aren't some who do but most of the ones I've interacted with would mostly consider it against the norm. Secondly, you've forgotten that people can be shy. Lot's of men are interested in dating a particular woman but do not take the initiative in asking them because they too shy and socially awkward to do so. So, even if it were more common for women to ask men out on dates, I would assume that the same would apply to them if they were shy.

this may apply to the women you've interacted with, but i think if you ask around you will find that initiating romantic relationships is something a lot of women do with no trouble or fuss. in about 80% of the (admittedly not excessively many) relationships i've been in, i initiated the contact/interest. in fact, the first real boyfriend i had in high school i nabbed by using some old history we shared in a creative way: he used to live on the street running behind mine when we were children and would pick apples of our tree in the backyard and throw them at my sister and i--so when i developed a crush on him in high school, i got his attention one day between classes while passing him in the stairwell by lobbing an apple at him that had my phone number written on a leaf-shaped piece of paper i had taped to the stem (i called his name first so he would see it coming and not get hit in the face with it). i was really proud of that gesture, actually, not just because it was brave (he was much more "sought after" by the opposite sex than i was so riskier for being rejected) but also because it was clever--and darned romantic too, if i say so myself. :lol:

Yep. My first boyfriend was SO DENSE OMG it took forEVER for him to notice I liked him. In fact I'd given up. Then I cottoned on to this whole "direct communication" thing, and um...yeah, easily 70% of the men I've been involved with, I did the asking. Like straight up, everything from "would you like to go to [event] with me" to "I'd like to take you to bed if that's okay with you". I haven't worked with any fragile blossoms in quite a while, either, so I have trouble imagining that they all stood around twisting their hands and waiting to be asked out. I don't know how the elementary-age set are handling it...from what I can make out, the girls all extort "who you like" from each other, and the main point of having a crush is that you never ever tell the boy, except sometimes your friends do anyway, and then you might end up walking around together on the playground and all your friends say "woooo" afterwards and embarrass the hell out of you. They're all dutifully LBGT (or LG, anyway) educated, know kids with two mommies and two daddies, but so far all the crushy stuff seems to be strictly het. I think they're just lacking scripts.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 5:47 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
The thread is not sexist, though repeating this (very wrong in North America) notion that men have to be the initiators is sexist...

Yes, I would agree, but nobody said that. ???

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 5:48 pm

starvingartist wrote:

I don't know Eve. :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 1:39 am

Toy_Soldier wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
The thread is not sexist, though repeating this (very wrong in North America) notion that men have to be the initiators is sexist...

Yes, I would agree, but nobody said that. ???

I don't know, some of those users are starting to develop sexism-phobia, and any guy saying anything about the opposite = sexism.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 9:46 am

starvingartist wrote:
Toy_Soldier wrote:
starvingartist wrote:

Because fruit is sweet.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 10:16 am

Because THAT fruit was forbidden.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 11:31 am

I was able to pick up some social hints after a while and started to notice that people were attracted or interested based on the look in their eyes. So yes, you might want to make some eye contact with the opposite sex. I also noticed a smile as well and a bit of a blush from them (a kind of shy looking blush). I then ended up noticing certain cues after a while (she flicks her hair, rubbing her finger along the side of her neck, or verbal cues that indicate she wants you to be around when she gets back from the bathroom). This was a more polite way of expressing interest for sure and this is far more common I find in my experience. Some women were far more direct and physical and very touchy-feely though and would just come out with their interest before you even said anything about being interested in them. I also noticed some playful ones and they often had trouble convincing people that their interest in other people was genuine.

But when it came to looking for the right girl, I had to really analyze previous dating experience in order to determine what my dealbreakers would be later on. I can tell you that one of the more important deal breakers included women just getting out of relationships. My experience with this type of girl made it impossible to still be friends after as the problems lied with their expectations and with my inability to control my meltdowns at the time.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 8:13 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
The thread is not sexist, though repeating this (very wrong in North America) notion that men have to be the initiators is sexist (and, once again, totally false -- if women aren't coming on to you, it's not because they believe they can't, it's because they don't want to).

Not true. I mean you are right that it's sexist to say that women should never initiate but the part in brackets that says that if they don't initiate, they're not interested is totally wrong. First of all, you've ignored that from a cultural perspective, men are expected to initiate in terms of traditional dating roles. So, in my experience at least, most of the women I've interacted with would never take the initiative in asking a guy out first and would rather wait for the men to ask them. I'm not saying that there aren't some who do but most of the ones I've interacted with would mostly consider it against the norm. Secondly, you've forgotten that people can be shy. Lot's of men are interested in dating a particular woman but do not take the initiative in asking them because they too shy and socially awkward to do so. So, even if it were more common for women to ask men out on dates, I would assume that the same would apply to them if they were shy.

this may apply to the women you've interacted with, but i think if you ask around you will find that initiating romantic relationships is something a lot of women do with no trouble or fuss. in about 80% of the (admittedly not excessively many) relationships i've been in, i initiated the contact/interest. in fact, the first real boyfriend i had in high school i nabbed by using some old history we shared in a creative way: he used to live on the street running behind mine when we were children and would pick apples of our tree in the backyard and throw them at my sister and i--so when i developed a crush on him in high school, i got his attention one day between classes while passing him in the stairwell by lobbing an apple at him that had my phone number written on a leaf-shaped piece of paper i had taped to the stem (i called his name first so he would see it coming and not get hit in the face with it). i was really proud of that gesture, actually, not just because it was brave (he was much more "sought after" by the opposite sex than i was so riskier for being rejected) but also because it was clever--and darned romantic too, if i say so myself. :lol:

Yep. My first boyfriend was SO DENSE OMG it took forEVER for him to notice I liked him. In fact I'd given up. Then I cottoned on to this whole "direct communication" thing, and um...yeah, easily 70% of the men I've been involved with, I did the asking. Like straight up, everything from "would you like to go to [event] with me" to "I'd like to take you to bed if that's okay with you". I haven't worked with any fragile blossoms in quite a while, either, so I have trouble imagining that they all stood around twisting their hands and waiting to be asked out. I don't know how the elementary-age set are handling it...from what I can make out, the girls all extort "who you like" from each other, and the main point of having a crush is that you never ever tell the boy, except sometimes your friends do anyway, and then you might end up walking around together on the playground and all your friends say "woooo" afterwards and embarrass the hell out of you. They're all dutifully LBGT (or LG, anyway) educated, know kids with two mommies and two daddies, but so far all the crushy stuff seems to be strictly het. I think they're just lacking scripts.

in high school it was still up to the guys to ask girls out to events, and maybe this only applies to online dating but most advice suggest women wait for the guy to ask. I think okcupids data showed that guys do most of the initiating. Now since i've gotten more shy and not wanting to contact women all my contacts are from girls messaging me first,

as for in person , there is no way i'd know via flirting if they like me, i've been told post chance to do anything that a few women have flirted with me. I thought one at work was but I was wrong. I prefer online, cause if they messaging me then they have interest in me, its very clear. I do wish more women would just be like hey you're cute wanna go out, cause I don't know what flirting looks like.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 8:43 pm

97% of the dates I've been on involved me initiating (the remaining 3% were a nice bonus!). I agree that part of it could be me not picking up on signals, but that's essentially one of the defining traits of Aspergers: difficulty reading signals. If I link to a study on a fairly reputable website that says that men typically initiate things, would that be ok?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... irst-dates

Note: I completely agree with the posters who are trying to curb sexism on this forum because I do think that it was a problem, but I also think that you have to take into account that there are indeed differences between genders, and that saying something general about a particular gender doesn't necessarily imply negativity or sexism. For example, if I said that men have lower college graduation rates than women, I don't think anyone could call that sexist, because it is supported by quite a bit of data.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 8:58 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
97% of the dates I've been on involved me initiating (the remaining 3% were a nice bonus!). I agree that part of it could be me not picking up on signals, but that's essentially one of the defining traits of Aspergers: difficulty reading signals. If I link to a study on a fairly reputable website that says that men typically initiate things, would that be ok?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... irst-dates

Note: I completely agree with the posters who are trying to curb sexism on this forum because I do think that it was a problem, but I also think that you have to take into account that there are indeed differences between genders, and that saying something general about a particular gender doesn't necessarily imply negativity or sexism. For example, if I said that men have lower college graduation rates than women, I don't think anyone could call that sexist, because it is supported by quite a bit of data.

absolutely you can link the study--just as i can tell you that said study used a tiny sample (87 people) which calls into question whether it's truly representative of the dating behaviour of the entire species. one study with a small sample does not prove your point (that women don't initiate). however, i think it's interesting how many males in that study expressed that they didn't wish to be asked out but prefer to do the asking themselves. reason for pause and thought, perhaps, as the opposite has been expressed so often on these forums by many of the male members who struggle with dating.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 9:02 pm

I've only had a woman "ask me out" once in my life.

I don't bemoan that fact. I was rather flustered when that happened.

It happened when I was 17. The relationship did not end too well, unfortunately.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 9:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've only had a woman "ask me out" once in my life.

I don't bemoan that fact. I was rather flustered when that happened.

It happened when I was 17. The relationship did not end too well, unfortunately.

I've had 3 ladies ask me out,plus few other I didn't pick up
High school girl:ask me to kiss her(I was 15)
GF#2:ask me out,and later ask me for sex
GF#3:Kissed me on lips,later ask me
GF#4:asked me out
party girl:cuddle with me at party(I got shocked,so
nothing happen)
few girls gave me their phone numbers
yes,lucky me(I guess)

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 9:14 pm

I'm not sure it matters what percentages of each gender do the initiating. But perhaps the OP specifically wants to know how to approach women. (Although lesbians could offer some advice I'm sure.)
If this is the case, I can tell you that as a woman I prefer to be approached by a man in a direct and clear fashion. For example, one of the things I love is when a guy gently takes my arm and pulls me in to hug/kiss. I'm telling you, the hug tells you lots. If she pushes into you, this is a very good sign. I was on a date with a guy and we hugged at the end and I went to kiss him and he turned away. So I knew then that it wasnt going anywhere.