Do you believe in highly advanced ancient Earth civilization

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 2:27 pm

No ... but I do believe in advanced civilizations on other planets. Some of which may already be aware of us.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 3:59 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Do you believe in the existence of highly advanced ancient Earth civilization before our times?

I mean the civilization which equaled or exceeded our civilization in terms of technology..

As a kid, I really liked the anime "Mysterious Cities of Gold " there was the story of two ancient high-tech civilization Hiva (Mu) and the Atlanteans who destroyed each other, most likely using nuclear weapons, but that has not been said clearly in the film, but was implied.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC9no3dSYds[/youtube]

Have you been watching Ancient Aliens on T.V. again?

There is not an iota of credible evidence that ancients had any technology based on quantum physics. Not a blessed speck of evidence.

There ancients were as smart as we are, but they didn't know as much. We are the beneficiaries of ten thousand years of incremental increase in the knowledge of the physical world.

ruveyn

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 5:49 pm

Where are the 12 thousand year old coke cans, beer bottles, and plastic shopping bags, that a prehistoric industrialized society would have left behind?

The short answer is: no I dont believe that there were Atlanteans, and Lemurians, with solid state (nor even vacuum tube) electronics, and airships, ruling the earth in 9600 BC.

But in more modest ways some fringe investigators might be on to some things: like the Sphinx being older than we think it is (and that it might have already been rebuilt, refashioned, and repurposed for different gods,by different invading African groups several times in the Neolithic even before the dawn of the historic Bronze Age Egyptian dynastic civilizatrion at around 2600 BC when it was supposidly built). But even if there were something to that there would be no need to invoke aliens, nor Atlanteans, with 20th centurey technology.

RunningFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2014, 6:52 pm

Economically, governmently, militaristically, domestically, spiritually, artistically and in a few other ways they were just as advanced if not more so than we are. I would very strongly argue that ancient civilizations were significantly more artistically advanced than we are here in the U.S.. Not just cosmetically speaking, but architecture and in civil design as well.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 7:12 pm

The technological prowess required to build stuff like the pyramids of Giza and Baalbek doesn't just appear overnight.

I do like reading fanciful (ancient astronaut) crap by the likes of Sitchin and Daniken... but they're not applying Occam's razor IMO. It takes less of a leap of faith to assume that there was an advanced ancient civilisation, as opposed to blaming gods or extraterrestrial visitors.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 7:18 pm

The myth of the long lost, highly advanced civilization only exists because it sounds poetic, similar to the story of the man who was buried in concrete during the building of the Hoover Dam, or the weight loss of 21 grams after you die.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 3:46 am

Pobbles wrote:
I do like reading fanciful (ancient astronaut) crap by the likes of Sitchin and Daniken... but they're not applying Occam's razor IMO. It takes less of a leap of faith to assume that there was an advanced ancient civilisation, as opposed to blaming gods or extraterrestrial visitors.

I was into Daniken in my early teens and bought several of his books until I knew better and read something debunking him. One of the images in one of Daniken's books shows what he claimed was the landing strip for ancient aircraft which forked into four strips for the aircraft to park/ taxi. It was in Peru and the boulders had clearly been moved from the strip and the area smoothed. However, what he didn't mention was the scale, which was impossible to guess from the image. He implied this whole thing is around 1/2 mile long. In fact it was only around ten feet long! :lol: The rest of the picture which he doesn't show is actually an eagle. The runway is the eagle's leg and the four taxi lanes are its toes. :lol: It was an ancient Peruvian drawing in the desert. Unless the alien aircraft were around one inch long then no, it wasn't a landing strip! The guy was such a liar - anything to sell books and make money off gullible kids (like I was back then).

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 6:07 am

TallyMan wrote:
Pobbles wrote:

I was into Daniken in my early teens and bought several of his books until I knew better and read something debunking him. One of the images in one of Daniken's books shows what he claimed was the landing strip for ancient aircraft which forked into four strips for the aircraft to park/ taxi. It was in Peru and the boulders had clearly been moved from the strip and the area smoothed. However, what he didn't mention was the scale, which was impossible to guess from the image. He implied this whole thing is around 1/2 mile long. In fact it was only around ten feet long! :lol: The rest of the picture which he doesn't show is actually an eagle. The runway is the eagle's leg and the four taxi lanes are its toes. :lol: It was an ancient Peruvian drawing in the desert. Unless the alien aircraft were around one inch long then no, it wasn't a landing strip! The guy was such a liar - anything to sell books and make money off gullible kids (like I was back then).

Thanks, I was wondering whether to buy some books Daniken, or not to rent something in the library, definitely something I found in the university library of the University of Wroclaw, which I'm a student.

As a kid I was interested in unexplained mysteries such as the origin of the pyramids of Giza. When I was a kid I loved "Mysterious Cities of Gold" when I was a little older I switched to "Stargate" which I am a devout fan, I'd love to Stargate, returned to TV. Especially "Stargate: Atlantis" which were never proper end. What's the last TV series "Stargate: Universe" is objectively I have to admit that I did not like it, I'd prefer a few more seasons of "Atlantis"

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 8:50 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Where are the 12 thousand year old coke cans, beer bottles, and plastic shopping bags, that a prehistoric industrialized society would have left behind?

This is flawed reasoning.

There was a documentary done that showed what would happen if man disappeared OVERNIGHT and what would come of the earth.

In 30 years, you'd never know we were here. Most everything we had made would have crumbled/collapsed and succumb to erosion and the elements.

About the only proof that something more was here would be things like pens and cell phones...because they have plastics that would never break down.

SO, IF, an ancient civilization rivaling the 20th century didn't invent polymer-based materials, they could have disappeared and had most everything they made decompose beyond recognition.

Keep in mind that ancient civilizations might have surpassed our society in knowledge and understanding...even certain types of technologies, but not exactly have had the same types of technology as we do today.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 1:29 pm

Nonsense.

We have human bones from 10 thousand BC, and human artifacts from the same era. Somehow both some remains of people, and some remains of their stuff, survived to the present. No single human body, nor any single human artifact is likely to survive that long. But some do get accidently preserved. And enought that we find them today.

We have dinosaur bones from 100 million years ago.

If the dinosaurs had worn clothes and had stone tools some of those items would have become 'fossilized", and survived along with their bones as well.

If a human civilization had existed in 10,000 BC that had assembly line factories that cranked out consumer goods- it doesnt matter that most of it would have decayed away by now- some pieces of newsprint, or aluminum beer cans would have accidently been preserved in some landfill for us to find. Per capita they would have generated more dietritus than later ancient civilizations. And we would have more of their stuff than we have of later civilizations.

So where is this dietritus?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 2:13 pm

What if, what if, what if?

The Greeks invented the steam engine--the aeolipile--but they never thought of putting it to any industrial use.

What if the Chinese had invented glass? Their technological superiority was entirely eclipsed by the europeans because Europeans had access to windows which extended the productive day of scholars; and later eyeglasses that extended scholars' productive lives.

All of this is simply so much speculation. We know full well that no one shred of evidence to support the existence of such a civilization has ever come to light. Even though we can't prove a negative, it seems readily apparent that the lack of evidence should be taken as conclusive.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 2:33 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Europeans had access to windows...

Now we've got windows 8 and see through a glass darkly.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 7:44 pm

They were advanced, but only in the things they were familiarized with, as in refining stone working and pottery and basket weaving etc. they were inventive in what they already knew about, not in the since of going out of their way to study and create new things from other elements. that as it seems took them much longer.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 8:19 pm

Not that ancient religious texts should be taken seriously...

...but if you look at the Atra-Hasis and certain books of the Torah with our modern vernacular, you could be forgiven for thinking that certain ancient folk had access to technological marvels such as genetic engineering (see any creation myth) and nuclear arsenals.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 10:13 pm

I'd second a lot of what arielhawksquill said - it seems like there was something mercantile going on with the Americas from around the time of the ice age's dissolution even up through perhaps late antiquity. Ancient Japanese vases in Peru, cocaine in Egyptian burials, etc.. I don't know that it was all the work of the Phoenecians but the thought that they might have been navigating the east coast of the Americas isn't all that surprising.

We do have of course as mentioned the sunken temples such as the stepped stone temple off the coast of Japan, the ones off the coast of India, at least these are verifiable. Similarly Gobeckli Tepe goes back to between 8,000 BC and 10,000 BC. We are having our sense that Mesopotamia may not have been the first major cosmopolitan civilization and the complexities of both it and Egypt would strongly suggest that their religious ideas had a significant running history before the time that we attribute these civilizations to having started (whether or not they were actually urbanized prior to our claims).

Whether or not John Anothony West and Robert Bauval can be trusted with Egyptian antiquities there is a certain question that is well raised which is with respect to the seeming water-erosion on the western wall of the sphinx enclosure - ie. was that carved out at a time prior to a major glacial run? Similarly Cyclopean architecture around the world as well as huge stone vaults such as found in the Serapeum do have us wondering how ancient people did things that we'd find difficult in the extreme today. I really doubt that 'aliens did it' but the notion that these cultures had a few discoveries or tricks up their sleeve that perhaps died with them doesn't seem too far fetched.