I HATE when my mom watches the soap opera Child Bride!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MonsterGuy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2014, 7:49 pm

I'm sick of it! The name of the show in Turkish is kucuk gelin, thats pronounced (Kuchuk gelin) which literally means "Little bride" The show is full of so much misery, and suffering, and woman abuse, its sickening! I get SCARED when I watch the show.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 11:45 am

Then go do something else when it's on. My ex-wife used to watch eight different soap operas on three different TV channels which meant that I spent a lot of time otherwise engaged. As for misfortune in soap operas there's nothing that could beat the UK epic 'Brookside', they had everything in that programme apart from a nuclear attack and bubonic plague.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 5:30 pm

I hate soaps all together. Coronation Street, EastEnders, you name it I hate it. It's always someone cheating with someone else, someone killing someone else, someone dies of cancer or something. I would rather watch Batman & Robin, Superman IV, all the Jaws sequels, The Last Airbender, Pearl Harbour, Cars 2, Star Trek The Motion Picture and basically any other bad movie than watch any of those soaps.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 5:35 pm

I get annoyed when people I know watch tabloid shows and then parrot the selfish and xenophobic attitudes those shows promote. I keep telling them that they are being brainwashed, but they do not listen. Everyone should unplug their television sets then throw them out the damn window.

MonsterGuy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2014, 5:56 pm

The show doesn't PROMOTE children being brides, it condemns it, and shows how horrible it is.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 5:56 pm

I thought that the BBC had better soaps than US channels. I watched a few episodes of Ballykissangel and it didn't stink. I tried to watch some soaps one time when I worked a weird shift and only had the broadcast channels, but I just found them annoying.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 6:30 pm

MonsterGuy wrote:
The show doesn't PROMOTE children being brides, it condemns it, and shows how horrible it is.

I am just speaking generally. I have not seen the show in question.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 12:16 pm

This will probably mean nothing to WP members outside the UK but just for fun I've sat down and worked out all the soap operas my ex-wife watched. I may have missed one or two (memories fade) but the list is pretty complete:

Brookside
Casualty
Coronation Street
Eastenders
Emmerdale
Hollyoaks
Home and Away
Neighbours
Sons & Daughters

The amazing thing is that she could keep track of all the plots from week to week yet not remember if we needed milk :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 1:21 pm

My late mother used to watch soap operas like General Hospital, and All My Children, etc. when I was a kid - hell, on summer breaks at that age, I even started watching them :eew:! Thankfully later in life, she came to realize just how stupid and mind numbing they were.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 4:04 pm

Why do they call them "soaps" when they're all so dirty? And the bed blankets must all be shaped like a capital letter L, they're short enough to only come up to a guy's waist on one side but long enough to cover a woman's chest on the other. :lol:

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 4:46 pm

Easy, they're called 'Soap Operas' because the first one (somewhere in the USA I believe) was sponsored by a soap company.