Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2007, 1:09 pm

Wow, didn't realize there were so many of us Texans on WP.

Tim_Tex wrote:
Also, there is a little town called Crawford about 2 hours north of Austin. It's known for a certain someone who has a ranch there.

This was always very ironic to me because it's right next door to Mount Carmel, were David Koresh and the Branch Davidians took on the ATF. There's something odd about that area around Waco.

MrMeaner wrote:
i suppose you caught the austin mardi gras this week? if not, it's usually around this time every year..another austin favorite is 6th street..

Didn't go this year because my wife is pregnant. The main marti gras festivities are on 6th street- they block it off between Congress and I-35 for the parade and it's pedestrian-only after that. 6th street is great for college kids and 20-somethings. Had many good times there back in the day. But when I go there now I really feel old, so we usually go (well, with a baby on the way I should say used to go) to the Warehouse District instead. It's another downtown bar/restaurant area that seems to appeal more to 30-somethings like me.

There's a huge music festival here next month called South By Southwest. I haven't had a chance to go in a few years because of work. But this year I'm taking a couple days off and going to see lots and lots of live music! Gonna be fun!

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2007, 1:17 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
DoubleFeed wrote:
If you can't stand traffic, try to stay away from Downtown, MOPAC/Loop 1 and I-35 at rush hour.

Kinda makes me wonder if Highway 59 in Houston will ever, for once, *not* be under construction.

Tim

No kidding! I have a friend in Clear Lake and it seems like every time I go visit I get stuck in a @#$%^ traffic jam at 59 and 610 due to the construction. Image Next time I'm trying the toll road.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 1:35 pm

BubbaHoTep wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
DoubleFeed wrote:
If you can't stand traffic, try to stay away from Downtown, MOPAC/Loop 1 and I-35 at rush hour.

Kinda makes me wonder if Highway 59 in Houston will ever, for once, *not* be under construction.

Tim

No kidding! I have a friend in Clear Lake and it seems like every time I go visit I get stuck in a @#$%^ traffic jam at 59 and 610 due to the construction. Image Next time I'm trying the toll road.

I can understand about 59 @ 610. I-10 at 610 is equally bad.

I am near Pasadena and Baytown, and I work in the Clear Lake area. There is construction on I-45 at NASA Parkway (formerly NASA Rd. 1) because a bypass for NASA Parkway is being built. And they are replacing the Galveston Causeway.

I remember when I was about 10 or 11, and I saw the Fred Hartman bridge (the one connecting La Porte and Baytown) being built. And when the Baytown Tunnel (which the Fred Hartman Bridge replaced) was demolished, they took the remnants of it 100 miles offshore, near Flower Gardens, the only coral reef in the Gulf of Mexico.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 1:44 pm

Oh, Austin is the prettiest city in Texas, in my opinion. Plus, they have the BEST barbecue place in the entire world there: Iron Works BBQ It doesn't look like much, but it is so good. If you drive past it in the morning, you would think it was some hole-in-the-wall diner, but if you drive past during lunch and dinner time, you would see a line of white-shirted businessmen waiting to get in. And once you got in, you would see pictures of hundreds of famous people who love to eat there. IT IS SO GOOD.

I wouldn't move to Austin before getting into school, as it is very competitive and there's no guarantee of you getting in. Austin is experiencing exponential growth, and that is a good thing. Plus, it is the capital of Texas. Plus, you would be in Texas, which is the greatest country in the world. Plus, you would be getting a first-rate education. Plus, you would be really close to San Antonio which is a really fun city. But there is a ton of stuff to do in Austin. You can visit the capital building, which is something I would do at least once a summer (but I am weird that way.) There is Barton Springs. And museums. But you have to at least be able to tolerate sports fans if you live in Texas---especially FOOTBALL fans. Football is the religion of Texas. And great food.

On the downside, it is full of nasty bugs: flying cockroaches, fire ants, wasps, etc. And snakes. And pollen. And rough grass.

But if you like extreme weather, Texas thunderstorms are magnificent.

I love Texas...

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2007, 2:00 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
...snip...

I can understand about 59 @ 610. I-10 at 610 is equally bad.

I am near Pasadena and Baytown, and I work in the Clear Lake area. There is construction on I-45 at NASA Parkway (formerly NASA Rd. 1) because a bypass for NASA Parkway is being built. And they are replacing the Galveston Causeway.

I remember when I was about 10 or 11, and I saw the Fred Hartman bridge (the one connecting La Porte and Baytown) being built. And when the Baytown Tunnel (which the Fred Hartman Bridge replaced) was demolished, they took the remnants of it 100 miles offshore, near Flower Gardens, the only coral reef in the Gulf of Mexico.

Tim

Greeeaaaat. More destruction, err, construction to look forward to next time I'm in your neck of the woods.

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2007, 2:39 pm

dexkaden wrote:
Oh, Austin is the prettiest city in Texas, in my opinion. Plus, they have the BEST barbecue place in the entire world there: Iron Works BBQ It doesn't look like much, but it is so good. If you drive past it in the morning, you would think it was some hole-in-the-wall diner, but if you drive past during lunch and dinner time, you would see a line of white-shirted businessmen waiting to get in. And once you got in, you would see pictures of hundreds of famous people who love to eat there. IT IS SO GOOD.

Must respectfully disagree. Iron Works is good no doubt. But it's not even the best BBQ place in Austin, let alone the world. My personal top 5 BBQ places here are:

1. The Salt Lick
2. Sam's Longbranch
3. Smokey Moe's
4. The County Line
5. Rudy's

As for best BBQ place in the world, hard to pick just one. It's probably in Lockhart, Texas. There are three there- Kreutz, Black's, and Smitty's. All are unbelievably fantastic. Coopers in Llano, Texas is awesome as well.

dexkaden wrote:
I wouldn't move to Austin before getting into school, as it is very competitive and there's no guarantee of you getting in. Austin is experiencing exponential growth, and that is a good thing. Plus, it is the capital of Texas. Plus, you would be in Texas, which is the greatest country in the world. Plus, you would be getting a first-rate education. Plus, you would be really close to San Antonio which is a really fun city. But there is a ton of stuff to do in Austin. You can visit the capital building, which is something I would do at least once a summer (but I am weird that way.) There is Barton Springs. And museums. But you have to at least be able to tolerate sports fans if you live in Texas---especially FOOTBALL fans. Football is the religion of Texas. And great food.

Totally agree except for growth being a good thing. Dead-on about football, it really is a religion here.

dexkaden wrote:
On the downside, it is full of nasty bugs: flying cockroaches, fire ants, wasps, etc. And snakes. And pollen. And rough grass.

But if you like extreme weather, Texas thunderstorms are magnificent.

I love Texas...

Gardening is a challenge here. But as a college student he won't care about that.

I love Austin. Very few other places I would rather live.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 2:42 pm

Another good BBQ place is Luling City Market in Luling, TX. Not far from Austin, but actually closer to San Antonio.

Tim

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 2:50 pm

The best BBQ here in Houston is Goode Company, on 59 at Kirby.

Another good place is Pappas BBQ. They are all over Houston, and they grew exponentially last year after converting the defunct Luther's chain to Pappas BBQ.

Gabby's is a good place, it's in Pasadena.

Tim

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 5:24 pm

BubbaHoTep wrote:
Wow, didn't realize there were so many of us Texans on WP.

Tim_Tex wrote:
Also, there is a little town called Crawford about 2 hours north of Austin. It's known for a certain someone who has a ranch there.

This was always very ironic to me because it's right next door to Mount Carmel, were David Koresh and the Branch Davidians took on the ATF. There's something odd about that area around Waco.

MrMeaner wrote:
i suppose you caught the austin mardi gras this week? if not, it's usually around this time every year..another austin favorite is 6th street..

Didn't go this year because my wife is pregnant. The main marti gras festivities are on 6th street- they block it off between Congress and I-35 for the parade and it's pedestrian-only after that. 6th street is great for college kids and 20-somethings. Had many good times there back in the day. But when I go there now I really feel old, so we usually go (well, with a baby on the way I should say used to go) to the Warehouse District instead. It's another downtown bar/restaurant area that seems to appeal more to 30-somethings like me.

There's a huge music festival here next month called South By Southwest. I haven't had a chance to go in a few years because of work. But this year I'm taking a couple days off and going to see lots and lots of live music! Gonna be fun!

I call Waco "Wacko" for those reasons.

Tim

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2007, 7:30 pm

dexkaden wrote:
Oh, Austin is the prettiest city in Texas, in my opinion. Plus, they have the BEST barbecue place in the entire world there: Iron Works BBQ It doesn't look like much, but it is so good.

Stubbs is up there too

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 7:33 pm

MrMeaner wrote:
dexkaden wrote:
Oh, Austin is the prettiest city in Texas, in my opinion. Plus, they have the BEST barbecue place in the entire world there: Iron Works BBQ It doesn't look like much, but it is so good.

Stubbs is up there too

I have a bottle of Stubbs BBQ sauce. I collect bottles of sauces from different places, most of them coming from New Braunfels.

Tim

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2007, 7:34 pm

ahhh cool..i work in new braunfels..my kind of town..real german like, but hispanic population is taking over

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 7:37 pm

MrMeaner wrote:
ahhh cool..i work in new braunfels..my kind of town..real german like, but hispanic population is taking over

I went there on a mini-vacation a few months ago. I've been to San Antonio numerous times, but it was my first time to go to New Braunfels. Canyon Lake is very beautiful.

Tim

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2007, 8:08 pm

Medina Lake is nice also..we go either there or Canyon and water ski

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 8:11 pm

I have been to all the big cities in Texas except El Paso. I like San Antonio and Austin the best. I wasn't really impressed with Dallas-Fort Worth.

Tim

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2007, 9:19 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
MrMeaner wrote:
dexkaden wrote:

Stubbs is up there too

I have a bottle of Stubbs BBQ sauce. I collect bottles of sauces from different places, most of them coming from New Braunfels.

Tim

Stubbs is good too. Their 'Cue is comperable to Iron Works. It's also one of the best live music venues in town.