Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 5:07 pm

Focus on what he's spontaneously interested in, and get him interacting with it and with you. You say he likes looking at lights? Maybe get a lamp with a switch that's easy for a toddler to turn on/off, get him staring at it, then turn it off. Wait for him to react, then turn it back on. Gradually wait longer until he either starts turning it on himself or making a clear effort to ask you to turn it on.

Then, if he's been turning it on himself, try a lamp that he won't be able to turn on, to see if you can elicit communicative behavior.

The whole time, monitor his frustration level - let him get a bit frustrated, but not too frustrated. That means he's pushing himself.

Bkdad82
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2014, 10:40 pm

zette wrote:
Let him pick the toy, copy what he does with it, and try to make a connection where you are "getting" what is so fascinating about it for him. Search for "Floortime Stanley Greenspan" on youtube, and you will find examples of how to enter into his play and expand upon it.

I watched that but my kid doesn't react as easily. He is all over the place and if I start playing with his toy he thinks I am taking it away from him and turns tot the next object. I've tried giving him toys and he sometimes takes it but mostly ignores it.

Bkdad82
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2014, 10:45 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
What Zette said I so much agree with.

The ABA people can help, but that is an educational learning intervention.

It is absolutely crucial that your child forms bonds with human beings. Many, probably most children with ASD, though benefitting from help with peers, gravitate toward adults as understanding and relating to them better and more.

Because adults are more understanding it is easier to form those human connections with adults without which connections with peers will not be possible.

I feel very strongly how essential it is that you find a way to enter your child's world. If he is interested in toys he picks up on his own, lay the toy you think he may like out and wait for him to approach it. He may find the demand to interact overstimulating, but all children are born, I believe, with the capacity to connect. If you find the way to do so on his terms, he will do far better than if he must always engage on others terms.

ABA can be good. And the experts can help enormously. But only parents/caregivers can actually form that bond without which your child's life will be forever missing something. So sit next to or lay on the floor next to or walk next to your child, perhaps he can share attention with you---an important skill to develop---as you learn to share attention with him.

You can relate to your child, I see in your posts a great deal of understanding. It is natural too mourn for where he is not, who he is not. Do so with your wife, your family, your friends, the professionals, and here. But don't mourn for who he is when you are with your son, recognize who he is, celebrate who he is, and find ways to enjoy who he is.

A tall order I know. But you CAN do this. And it will help your child toward the best life he can have.
A tall order indeed. In addition we're navigating the world of getting services. It's quite rewarding though because as a guy I feel like I am actually doing something to help him. We try to connect and sometimes we do. Lately he has been asking to be picked up more because he gets tired quickly and overstimulated and I sit with him on my lap looking at lights.

Bkdad82
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2014, 10:48 pm

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
I would echo what was already said. If you can enjoy what he enjoys with him, you are building the foundations for him to try what you want to do, too.

My son was into the lining up/sorting kinds of things, and I would just sit there and do it with him. Sometimes he would cry if his fine motor skills did not allow him to align things up perfectly. Sometimes he would cry if I would try to line things up not according to his intended schema. (He would often line things up in size order or according to color, and I did not immediately know this.)

I learned so much about him by doing this. I occasionally tried to do the "normal things" and honestly am not convinced in the logic in pushing that too hard. I was driving myself crazy (b/c I was advised to) with it for awhile and then started only revisiting feeding stuffed animals and all that stuff sometimes to see if the window was there.

I don't necessarily tell you to do that b/c I know it is not the standard advice, but I personally don't have regrets about not pushing harder with it. Maybe more persistence would have sped things up, but it seemed to me that when he would mimic me to make me happy it was not the same as when he was developmentally really ready and doing it spontaneously. He wasn't building empathy from it it until then, and he had other ways to work on abstraction that he preferred.

He mainly seemed bemused that I was feeding an inanimate object and maybe thought I was not so bright. ;) He was humoring me, and I don't necessarily know that developmental readiness is furthered by getting a kid to humor you. Emile may be able to speak to that theory and what the thought process is on that, but we seemed happiest just enjoying my son's interests at that point.
. Interesting seems your son understood more than he showed. I try to have fun. He used to respond more to humor but lately it been harder to concept. It seems that he is more bothered by sensory issues than before.

Bkdad82
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2014, 10:53 pm

setai wrote:
Everyone gave great advice. I would say the basic premises of Floortime are probably the best if you want to start on your own while waiting. Get down on the floor at his level and follow his lead. If he has light or other sensory issues try to address them so he is really comfortable. If he isn't talking yet, use really simple 1-2 words to label and narrate his and your play.

ABA will work on eye contact, but at first I wouldn't stress it. He doesn't have to look you in the eye to know you are there and learning. I often find out my son knew things I said and did but wasn't looking at me. Once he finally starting talking at 4, my belief that he knew hundreds of words but just wasn't saying them was confirmed. If it makes him more comfortable to not make eye contact, then don't make it part of play.

Like everyone said, figure out what he likes and use that. It might not be a what you or I would consider a "normal toy" and that is fine. Most kids love boxes more that the fancy toy that came out it and that is fine, so why isn't a lid or old CD case or whatever it is that he likes. If you aren't sure introduce a small number of stimulating items and see where he gravitates. My little guy(4yr) loves escalators/elevators so I hunted down a weeble wobble toy that had an escalator and used that to help with getting him to say up and down and learn turn taking. If you find the things he likes it will make your work sooooo much easier, it will also help you make the ABA folks more effective. ABA done right is fun and engaging for the child, but if it is intensive like is often is for young children you have to have the right motivators. ABA is very repetitive and they need something really good to work for.

Here are two great sites that helped me with educating myself about autism and the various therapies.
http://www.interactingwithautism.com/
http://www.autisminternetmodules.org/

Interesting sites. I have been growing an autism library. We do name everything he touches to try to teach him but he hasn't.said any words yet. Very cool trick with escalators. Ours loves boxes. He also chews on everything. Will try to find out more what he likes and try to get him interested. Thanks for the advice.

Bkdad82
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2014, 10:55 pm

pddtwinmom wrote:
If he likes light, take a flashlight and click it on and off for him. Then bring it next to your face and do it. Then hold it in front of your face at eye level and do it. Then try to catch his eye, however briefly before you do it again. Keep requiring that he at least make fleeting eye contact before you continue the game. You may have to move your head to put your eyes in his path at first. Say hi, or something nice with a big smile when your eyes connect, then flick the flashlight again. The point is for him to make the connection that you are creating the action that he wants, and that he has to connect with you as a person before he can get it. This approach resembles Floortime, a therapy that I really like and have found to be effective.

I did this with my son who likes to spin his toys. Over a period of a few weeks, his eye contact improved dramatically, and with a few more weeks, his eye contact actually started to become meaningful. He was diagnosed at 18 months, so very close to the age of your son. Good luck!,,
. I tried the flashlight and he didn't care for it. Maybe I'll try it int the dark. Iam glad your son has better eye contact. If you started at 18 months, how long did it take?

pddtwinmom
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jun 2014, 11:22 pm

If he's not into the flashlight, then maybe there's something else. There are these cool balls that light up when you bounce them. The light lasts for maybe 10 seconds or so, then you have to bounce them again. Or maybe it's something else entirely. The approach should be helpful as long as you're using something that he's really interested in.

I'd say it took about 3 months from no eye contact to meaningful eye contact. First, the action is pretty mechanical - my son looked at my eyes because he knew he needed to do it to get his preferred action. Then, something clicked, and he actually started looking at me to share his reaction (facial expression because he couldn't talk) or to see mine. We reinforced the eye contact requirement with almost everything - preferred items, food, drink, etc. We didn't require long gazes, nor did we push him to the point of frustration, but before I would give him anything he wanted, I would make sure that our eyes connected for at least a brief moment. I used the games with his preferred items to try to extend the eye gaze after he got the initial concept (I never withheld food or drink based on an extended gaze).

I believe that promoting eye contact is really essential at this age, as long as it doesn't cause major sensory issues. IMO, eye contact is one of the bases of communication, and that if we can get kiddos to get comfortable with it early, it sets the foundation for tremendous social gains later. It can also help bridge gaps for those who are speech delayed - so much can be communicated by an expression. A lot of times, diminished eye contact is the result of having difficulty distinguishing people from tools because of a lack of the ability to self-identify with people (there's a fancy term for this, but I forget it), and eye contact helps bring ASD toddlers back to the point where they can see the value in people as people, and not just as tools that they can use to accomplish their goals.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 7:59 am

Bkdad82 wrote:
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
I would echo what was already said. If you can enjoy what he enjoys with him, you are building the foundations for him to try what you want to do, too.

My son was into the lining up/sorting kinds of things, and I would just sit there and do it with him. Sometimes he would cry if his fine motor skills did not allow him to align things up perfectly. Sometimes he would cry if I would try to line things up not according to his intended schema. (He would often line things up in size order or according to color, and I did not immediately know this.)

I learned so much about him by doing this. I occasionally tried to do the "normal things" and honestly am not convinced in the logic in pushing that too hard. I was driving myself crazy (b/c I was advised to) with it for awhile and then started only revisiting feeding stuffed animals and all that stuff sometimes to see if the window was there.

I don't necessarily tell you to do that b/c I know it is not the standard advice, but I personally don't have regrets about not pushing harder with it. Maybe more persistence would have sped things up, but it seemed to me that when he would mimic me to make me happy it was not the same as when he was developmentally really ready and doing it spontaneously. He wasn't building empathy from it it until then, and he had other ways to work on abstraction that he preferred.

He mainly seemed bemused that I was feeding an inanimate object and maybe thought I was not so bright. ;) He was humoring me, and I don't necessarily know that developmental readiness is furthered by getting a kid to humor you. Emile may be able to speak to that theory and what the thought process is on that, but we seemed happiest just enjoying my son's interests at that point.
. Interesting seems your son understood more than he showed. I try to have fun. He used to respond more to humor but lately it been harder to concept. It seems that he is more bothered by sensory issues than before.

It is common developmentally even for NTs for expressive skills to lag receptive ones. The things is, all the times when in my hubris, I decided he was too advanced for something, it turned out he just had not gotten there yet. His bemusement about me feeding an object was b/c he was smart enough to know it was stupid; the delay was that he couldn't get past that to view it imaginatively and want to pretend it was real. He got there eventually, just not on schedule.

As far as sensory issues go, kids can get more or less aversive, can switch from aversive to seeking and back again. Sensory aversion is harder to deal with sometimes b/c it can be hard to strip out all the things that bother him. There are ways to work on desensitizing, too, but I always proceeded with caution on that one. You want to move very slowly, and I would do it at a different time than interaction time.

Regarding your other post on play. If he doesn't understand joint play, that is fine. Parallel play is typical at that age. Try playing with a similar toy in a similar way. You can build up to joint play. Does your child build anything like towers or does he line things up? I used that example b/c that is the best way I found to work on joint play with someone who would not do it as his first choice. It is easier to understand you are working together when you are actually working on the same thing. Depending on what your child likes, try to be his assistant in whatever it is.

setai
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2014, 4:03 pm

Bkdad82 wrote:
Interesting sites. I have been growing an autism library. We do name everything he touches to try to teach him but he hasn't.said any words yet. Very cool trick with escalators. Ours loves boxes. He also chews on everything. Will try to find out more what he likes and try to get him interested. Thanks for the advice.

Boxes are great interest to expand on. You can take sensory materials(fuzzy, scratchy, different colors) and put it on plain old cardboard boxes. There are lots of blocks you can find that don't have a bottom so you can stack them inside one another. You turn them over and they become boxes and eventually you can turn them back over and you have working w blocks. You can fill and empty boxes with him, most kids adore this. They come in different colors and w pictures so when he is ready you can work on colors, letters or animals. You can work with counting, big and small and even commands(give me blue box). This is a way when you are ready to move to something more advanced the boxes are still the comfy item, it is just the way you are working with them that is different. Doing this helped us move our little guy to more appropriate play. He lined up and stacked everything.

Most of our kids can play and interact, it just us parents who don't get it. We have this idea of what play is and just have to change our heads. It is difficult but so worth it for you and for your kids. Once you get their language and play is a child's language you can really begin to reach them. My guy went from pre verbal to teaching himself to read in 6 mos. This was w a lot of support(ABA, special pre school, speech and us doing our part), but it is possible. We have a long way to go still, but the progress is amazing and the journey is far less stressful.

Stormymomma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jun 2014, 11:30 pm

Eye contact was one of the first things we worked on. My son is almost 3. He has great eye contact now but still is limited on words. He also 'lost words' (said some words before and then stopped saying them). I heard it is common for kids on the spectrum. One thing I think helped was saying "good looking" and smiling every time he would look. Positive reinforcement. Also, holding toys or objects at eye level and labeling them. My son now likes to hold objects next to his eyes so I can label them. I'm sure you will find something that works. I think my son was 18 months when we started therapy and was diagnosed around 22 months.