I think I know who all Aspies would want to be

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

theredcore
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2014, 3:02 am

Sherlock Holmes! He would be by far the person I would love to learn to think more like. I felt that I related to almost everything that he ever did in the movies (Robert Downey JR movies) except of course he took things a little more extreme then I normally would. Anyone else vote Sherlock as one of the best "fake" people to look up to?

Sheldon and Spock are alright, but Sherlock has the best character..

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2014, 3:51 am

I personally do not enjoy Sherlock Holmes and would not at all like to be him, but I know many people who do.

LocksAndLiqueur
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2014, 9:28 am

You know, I've been compared to him as featured in a TV show that I haven't seen (It wasn't Sherlock. I think it was an American show. Dr. Watson was a woman in it). I wasn't sure how he was portrayed in the show, but I took it as a compliment. Personally, I don't think of myself as being like him though and I usually aim to be more of a Marcus Yallow that a Sherlock Holmes. I even use that name as an alias sometimes. The first time I came across somebody who recognized the name, he was pretty cool about it.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 9:32 am

Do we include Michael Caine's portrayl of Sherlock in "Without a clue" when considering whether we would like to be like Sherlock holmes?

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 9:32 am

Erm.... no.

Just no.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 9:36 am

I wouldn't want to be any of those.

Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 10:26 am

Lolno.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 11:27 am

I'd love to have the natural ability to just tell people off like Dr. House or Doc. Martin

... not rudely of course but just the ability to.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2014, 12:23 pm

Here is a link about Sherlock Holmes and Asperger's...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/magaz ... d=all&_r=0

My hero would be one of the many individuals who went out alone and discovered the world. We'll never know how many of them never came back.

I guess it is possible that the Aspie view of the world is no longer useful. The pressure to conform to society's norms is relentless.

And the continuing advances in human knowledge and the process of civilisation depend more and more upon the need for financial support for hugely expensive scientific experiments etc.

In the 21st century, it is very hard for any individual to change the world. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates spring to mind, but they never needed to put their lives at risk.

The current threat to our well-being from computer viruses seems to suggest that there is more individual 'fun' to be had from destroying the successes of society, than from making an additional contribution.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 12:29 pm

I like Sherlock Holmes, but I wouldn't want to be him. He sees detective work as an intellectual challenge, rather than as a way to help others. I'd see it both ways.

I do have the same tendency to notice everything that Sherlock Holmes has. But that's normal for an autistic person.

They're great stories, though. Highly recommended. If you haven't read them, get yourself to your local library and go for it. Audiobook version, if you're dyslexic or don't like reading. Seriously, they're wonderful--Doyle started the entire genre of detective fiction; well, him and Poe, anyway.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

businezguy
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2014, 12:31 pm

Dantac wrote:
I'd love to have the natural ability to just tell people off like Dr. House or Doc. Martin

... not rudely of course but just the ability to.

I can definitely have the Dr. House mentality if I really allowed myself to. Heaven forbid I did something that say impressed a group of people who felt compelled to praise me (hey, it's happened every now and again). I could totally bask in their compliments while acting like a complete schmuck.

No, definitely better to stay humble and grounded.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 12:34 pm

Definitely. You'd feel like a complete schmuck, eventually, and you probably don't have the near-total lack of compassion that House has to make that a viable option.

I can see wanting to be able to tell off people who really deserve it, though. The nasty people who take advantage of others, lord it and step on the little people--those people deserve to be told off, House-style. And it's more civilized than just punching them in the face.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 1:32 pm

Its not a bad character match in some ways. The character who plays the latest English TV series version has frequently been compared to a person with ASD. From the responses it might appeal to men more then women, although not all men. Sherlock, at least the book version, although solitary at times is very socially astute and able to mingle with multiple levels of society in disguises.

What I liked about Downey's version was when he drank the medicine used for eye surgeries and was able to communicate or control moths. :lol:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 1:41 pm

I love a good mystery me.

Woof Woof! Cheep Cheep!

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 1:45 pm

I wanna be Bones.

Or Ma Joad, from The Grapes of Wrath. I wouldn't want her life-- she had a HARD life. But I respect the hell out of her.

Or Ethan Hawley, from The Winter of Our Discontent. Another tragic life, another ultimately strong, respectable, and moral character by John Steinbeck.

Or Mack, from Cannery Row.

Hawkeye Pierce (M*A*S*H).

Novalee Nation, Where the Heart Is. Sister Husband would be an OK person to be, too.

Jackie Clay. Real person, staff of Backwoods Home Magazine.

Jason Faircloth, The Wisdom Hunter.

Carrie I-Can't-Remember, Storming Heaven.

Sam Vimes, from Terry Pratchett's Discworld books.

While we're on that subject, Tiffany Aching and/or Granny Weatherwax.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 2:03 pm

i think being Sherlock Holmes would be depressing, if he can observe everything about everyone than there are no mysteries, and I don't want to solve gruesome murders

however on the face of it the ability he has is amazing

he also seems quite manic, which I think would be difficult, he never just rests

I would like a Watson though :D