Rant: People first language police online

Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 6:43 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
You're all missing the point. Call yourselves what every you want, and bless your hearts.

Do you want people to talk to a person with a condition, or talk to a condition?

The point of this was never to change the way people with disabilities felt about themselves, it was to change the way that able-bodied people felt about them.

If you're cool with people treating you as a condition, then go for it, I guess. I'm pretty sure that everyone who mentioned political correctness just hates getting called out on their bigotry in other areas, though, so y'all can just shut the hell up about that.

Do you really believe that it makes a difference? Being called "autistic", and being called "a person with autism"? Why use six syllables when you only need to say three to convey the same damned thing?

Being called "a drunk", and being called "an alcholic" makes a difference.

But is being called a drunk and being called "a person prone to drunkeness" make a difference? Hardly.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 6:43 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Tawaki wrote:
THIS! With a supposed 80% unemployment rate, work place discrimination, and how the media trash the Autism spectrum every time some wing nut shoots up a place, the above is misplaced do gooding. Also don't forget the total lack of services for any adult that falls at the HF and Aspergers end of the spectrum. But somehow the above is the white hot issue of the day.

*insert near fatal eye roll here*

I have Bipolar Disorder, and was pissed when TPTB changed Manic Depression to Bipolar Disorder. All it did was sanitize a name for the masses. I didn't get treated any better. Discrimination still abounds.

Autistic vs a person with Autism is the equivalent of worrying about broken windows, while the house is burning down to the ground.

There are plenty threads here that have little or nothing to do with autism, they do not get criticized for being invalid or unimportant. What is so insulting to people about this thread?

Yes language is important, and how others view us, and how we view ourselves are related in some way to the important issues you mentioned above.

Very related to the topics above is that it is ok to bully autistics/people with autism by invalidating their experiences. These people are coming into discussions and trying to bully autistics by telling them how they should identify. Unlike here, in those threads autistics as they preferred to be called are not accepting this bullying because there are more important things in the world. They the standing up to these bullies both for themselves and in the hope that non autistics reading might get a better understanding. In that spirit of standing up to bullies trying to invalidate people, who the f**k appointed you head of priority police? Answer nobody. You do not get to choose what topics are ok to post about on WP, only Alex via the moderators get to do that. What is so hard for you about skipping a topic that you think is trivial? Why waste your time on it? Roll you f***ing eyes somewhere else.

I agree with ASPartOfMe: what does it matter if you don't like discussing political correctness? It's a simple matter not to engage in the conversation, you simply browse the OP, see that it's not a topic you want to discuss, and move on. If you're saying you're afraid that we're taking time away from discussing important issues for the sake of debating political correctness, I don't think that's true; the time discussions like this take up is miniscule compared to the amount of time and energy put into topics like autistic unemployment, discrimination and poor media portrayal, and I think it is a topic worthy of consideration. We are never going to overcome discrimination etc. if we're still being referred to by "offensive" terms. I personally don't have a problem with either "person with autism" or "autistic", but I am aware that people who rigidly insist that everyone use person-first language are often trying to compensate for the prejudice they feel, usually unconsciously. They're trying so hard to prove to themselves and everyone around them that they have no problem with disabled people that they overcompensate by being as politically correct as possible.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 7:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Do you really believe that it makes a difference? Being called "autistic", and being called "a person with autism"?

I wouldn't have said anything if I didn't think so, and, as I have mentioned several times in subsequent posts, there is a lot of evidence to support my position.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 8:21 pm

Tawaki wrote:
Why are you so defensive? I had an opinion. You have one.

Tawaki wrote:
*insert near fatal eye roll here*

^^^
THIS
Seemed to me you were doing the very thing I was ranting about

Tawaki wrote:
Actually, I'm going to an open forum Aspergers support group meeting in an hour. I'm printing out the original post, and offer it up as a topic.

Should be interesting...

Cool, Hope it went well

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman