Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 11:14 pm

Nights Like These, do you go to any local shows and have any local-ish indie bands to recommend since we live so close?

A couple indie rock bands I have seen and like The Reason and The Arkills, actually Hamilton Ontario has always been a good hotspot for developing indie bands. Also Matt Mays is another good Canadian to look up.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 10:45 pm

Sorry for the late response. For some reason I don't recall ever receiving notifications for this thread again lol. To be honest, the type of indie music that exists in Sarnia isn't my cup of tea for the most part. There's a lot of death metal and that sort of stuff, but to be fair I don't know much of the local music scene. lol I would recommend Wild Domestic if you can find them online somewhere. They are originally from Sarnia, but I think they're based out of London now, or they were when last I heard. Also Shad (the rapper from London) if you are into that sort of thing and haven't heard him before. I have a fair bit of Canadian indie music in my collection though, just not groups from around here.

--Aldous Huxley

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 1:12 am

I've recently learnt that people's definition of 'indie' vary differently.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 9:31 am

PUSA
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4JxY-kiN2Y[/youtube]

BEST. INDY. BAND. EVAR.

savethepenguins
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2014, 2:54 am

Falloy wrote:
I love a lot of the Indie music that was around when I was a student (the mid 'eighties) This was more "Indie Pop" than "Indie Rock" I guess and was largely UK based. This includes:

The Wedding Present
The Jesus and Mary Chain
The Woodentops
Stump
The Shop Assistants
James
My Bloody Valentine
Bogshed
The House of Love
The Weather Prophets
The Field Mice
Talulah Gosh

etc

You're listing a bunch of my favorites.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlV8O_1n1-M[/youtube]

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 3:04 am

The Jesus and Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine are two of my favourites!

supercoley1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2014, 9:09 pm

Indie Rock tends to mean different things to different age groups and UK/US tend to be different to.

For example I am 39 from the UK and to my age group 'Indie Rock' describes the era with the Stone Roses, Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets, The Farm, Cast, The La's, Happy Mondays.

I like Indie Rock if thats what you mean :)

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2015, 6:05 pm

walkthemoon wrote:
It's my special interest :D
I like: Walk The Moon, Vampire Weekend, Magic Man, Alt-J, Local Natives, Bastille, Bombay Bicycle Club, Twenty One Pilots, Foals, Mumford & Sons, Two Door Cinema Club, St. Lucia, Foster The People, MGMT, The Neighbourhood, Modest Mouse, Grizzly Bear, Beach House, Animal Collective, Arctic Monkeys, The Black Keys, Cage The Elephant, The Decemberists, etc...

Does anyone else like indie music?

YES!! !! I like Walk the Moon, Vampire Weekend, alt-J, Local Natives, Bastille, Mumford and Sons, Foals, Two Door Cinema Club, Foster the People, Modest Mouse, Beach House, Grizzly Bear, Arctic Monkeys, Black Keys, Cage the Elephant, and Decemberists!! !

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2015, 6:06 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I like about half the bands you listed. My favourite modern rock artists are Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, Frank Turner, and The National, as well as the various projects of Jack White and Damon Albarn.

like 'em all!! :D

DericWM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2015, 6:36 pm

Yeah, I happen to like indie rock music with my favorites being Alt-J and Imagine Dragons! :-D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 8:17 pm

As an Aspie The Smiths/Morrissey and the shoegaze bands of course
Sonic Youth 80's and beyond
In the 90's I was into Liz Phair, Cake, The Rentals, and Geraldine Fibbers if anybody remembers them
Current Acts I love Florence + The Machine and Marina and The Diamonds, since it is Christmas Eve I have to mention Sleigh Bells.

purpletoupee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Dec 2016, 5:34 pm

Yes! I've only just realised that indie/indie rock music seems to be a haven for the shy and socially awkward. I love 80's indie bands too: Wolfhounds, Felt, Brilliant Corners, The Monochrome Set, Young Marble Giants, McCarthy... I could go on forever.

Last edited by purpletoupee on 19 Dec 2016, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 5:41 pm

I'm not big into the "indie rock" scene as a whole (at least what can be differentiated from "alternative" and "college rock"), but Guided By Voices is one of the greatest bands in the history of rock n' roll.

purpletoupee

19 Dec 2016, 5:49 pm

I've heard the name before but that's all. I'll give them a listen.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 5:58 pm

purpletoupee wrote:
I've heard the name before but that's all. I'll give them a listen.

Good luck with that, and I mean it. Between 22 albums, 17 EPs and six box sets (not to mention 22 Robert Pollard solo albums and a combined 34+ albums from side projects), it's less of a band and more of a religion.

Most people start with either 'Bee Thousand' or 'Alien Lanes'. If you like stuff like The Replacements or lo-fi stuff like Pavement, Sebadoh and Archers of Loaf, you'll find a lot to like in GBV's library.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 5:58 am

supercoley1 wrote:
Indie Rock tends to mean different things to different age groups and UK/US tend to be different to.

For example I am 39 from the UK and to my age group 'Indie Rock' describes the era with the Stone Roses, Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets, The Farm, Cast, The La's, Happy Mondays.

I like Indie Rock if thats what you mean :)

yes, i agree. This was the original "indie rock". indie originally being defined by being signed to an independent record label rather than one of the big names such as EMI etc.

Incidentally, i used to go to a college that had one of "the Farm" teach at, that also had the original happy mondays manager Phil Saxe, as well as having frequent visits from the late Tony Wilson who started the legendary Hacienda.

I also liked the first wave of UK indie rock bands which had diverse influences that included the dance music of the time, but also other interesting influences such as acid jazz, soul and psychedelic rock from the early 60s.