1 dead 3 injured but school massacre prevented in Seattle

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 9:26 am

Suspect tackled foiling apparent full on school massacre at Seattle Pacific University
Suspect reported to be obsessed with Columbine, traveled to Columbine according to Seattle TV station

From Seattle Times
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... ngxml.html

From KIRO
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/shootin ... ity/ngFbf/

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 10:53 am

That student security guard risked his life to protect others...

Once he had him down, other students ran over, and piled on him......no one knows how many could have died if not for their bravery!

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 11:59 am

Did you catch this part?

Quote:
Meis, an engineering student, has a reputation for keeping a low profile, not seeking attention, The Seattle Times reported. He is known as a devout Christian and an excellent student.

Could Meis be an Aspie?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 12:53 pm

The tactics of keeping peace have always been the highest martial art form. I see no reason to claim the hero as one of our own when we ourselves are a sample group effectively swimming around a microscope slide, waiting for one conclusive turn of events; most of us aren't murderers, though some of us have been tasked with dealing with murderers. As far as I can see, no one outside the immediate context has any rights regarding speculation over the psyches of such first responders. When the resolution of any such situation involves weapons, the risk of collateral trauma overruns the psyches of the aggressors and victims, exacerbating the peacemakers.

I think the goal of unifying autistics with NTs is one and the same with the goal of building a habitable global society, so it follows that I believe we shouldn't be drawing lines in the sand from the vantage point of our own morality in response to these disasters. Trauma both adds to and dramatically affects HFA, someone receiving your hero's welcome here today could be just another HTTP page hit tomorrow, and their cathartic means of relief from these recounts of violence must be respected in equal measure with their wider psyches.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 7:40 pm

when is America gonna get a clue and spend on mental health what it needs to?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 8:40 pm

michael517 wrote:
Did you catch this part?

Quote:
Meis, an engineering student, has a reputation for keeping a low profile, not seeking attention, The Seattle Times reported. He is known as a devout Christian and an excellent student.

Could Meis be an Aspie?

All but the "devout Christian" part. Most Aspies here on WP are devout atheists.

Quote:
When Meis saw the shooter reloading, he saw an opportunity to stop the attack, said Ryan Salgado, Meis? roommate for the past four years. Salgado said his friend seemed to be in shock after the shooting.
Commendably brave nonetheless.... :thumleft:

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 12:51 am

Raptor wrote:
All but the "devout Christian" part. Most Aspies here on WP are devout atheists.

I wouldn't call myself an atheist but the way some of these F***ing Christians act. It sometimes makes me wish I was.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 12:55 am

LupaLuna wrote:
Raptor wrote:

I wouldn't call myself an atheist but the way some of these F***ing Christians act. It sometimes makes me wish I was.

QFT.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 12:55 am

auntblabby wrote:

You can thank that f***ing Ronald Reagan for that. Once he came to power. He did massive cutting of funding to mental health programs.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 12:58 am

LupaLuna wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

You can thank that f***ing Ronald Reagan for that. Once he came to power. He did massive cutting of funding to mental health programs.

I don't blame him personally, I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of all the tools that voted for him.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 3:24 am

auntblabby wrote:

O, and the gun control thing... 8O

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 6:16 pm

I have to agree with cberg. But still, gotta admit that it would be nice to hear the same speculation when someone does something heroic that we have to live with when someone does something monstrous.