Wishing you didn't have AS/Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AspieApples
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2014, 3:58 pm

That they wish they didn't have to deal with your AS/Autism sometimes and that they saw it as something limiting them?

I've been taking some time to reflect on my recently ended relationship. My ex told me multiple times she saw it as something that limits her and that sometimes she wished she didn't have to deal with it.

I feel kind of crappy now and am wondering if I'll ever have much hope with girls if I'm honest about that with them.

Do you guys ever have that same concern, and have you ever heard that from your SO in the past?

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 4:41 pm

Over the years I've had a number of relationships where someone has said that they're aware that I have AS and they're prepared to deal with it and live with it, then later on they leave because they find out that it's not as easy as it first appears. So yes, I constantly wish that I wasn't autistic.

However......................

There are a select few who say that your AS isn't a problem and mean it. When I told my girlfriend she gave me a big hug, said "I wondered what it was", and then sat there with a big smile. That was six months ago and she's still around.

There is hope.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 5:10 pm

AspieApples wrote:
That they wish they didn't have to deal with your AS/Autism sometimes and that they saw it as something limiting them?

I've been taking some time to reflect on my recently ended relationship. My ex told me multiple times she saw it as something that limits her and that sometimes she wished she didn't have to deal with it.

I feel kind of crappy now and am wondering if I'll ever have much hope with girls if I'm honest about that with them.

Do you guys ever have that same concern, and have you ever heard that from your SO in the past?

There are girls out there who likely won't accept you if you're honest about it, but those ones you likely shouldn't have been with in the first place. The ones who accept you are also more likely to accept annoying habits (even ones you'd have as an NT) that the others wouldn't. Just remember, that it's when, not if, you find a girl who accepts you for it, you've struck gold.