When your parents die, then you be truly alone in the world?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 10:09 pm

Does anyone fear this? I do.

EDIT: My mom tells me, "What is going to happen to you when I am gone? I worry about you".

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 06 Jun 2014, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 10:14 pm

I don't know if I would feel truly alone in this world when my parents go because even though I really love them and I am close to them I don't feel close to them in that sense. They help and support me in a lot of ways though so not having their help would really affect me and I would really miss them and feel a sense of lostness. But I think that if my husband and brother passed I would feel truly alone in this world.

Wreck It Ralph

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 10:23 pm

Depend on way to many things that could happen before that. I can't say for sure just yet

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 10:26 pm

I do kind of fear that right now, but I can hopefully change it. If I had a family of my own I think I would feel okay

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 10:36 pm

That's what I'm afraid of. As things stand right now I basically would be.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 11:34 pm

Pretty much.

Though I don't fear being alone, nor do I really fear the added difficulty of doing lots of other things. Groceries can be delivered, for example.

I'll just miss my mother (understatement).

aspie_comic_nerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2014, 11:42 pm

Yes, my mom and I are very close. She and my daughter are the only person I have any close relationship with.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 11:45 pm

Yep! I will be alone once my mum passes. And I will miss her greatly. Sadly I have no one else so I will have to decide what to do once that day arrives. :cry:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 1:43 am

my mother did her time on this earth in a lifetime that was not what she would have preferred, but she stoically dealt with it, and she is in her heavenly reward now and I am only glad that she [or my father] no longer has to suffer. it takes a while to come to terms with the fact that I am "it" now [along with sister and brother], there is no more earthly parental presence 'cept for memories.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 2:26 am

The wheel turns... you will be ready, everything changes... including you.

"Human beings are works in progress that mistakenly think they're finished." Dan Gilbert shares recent research on a phenomenon he calls the "end of history illusion," where we somehow imagine that the person we are right now is the person we'll be for the rest of time. Hint: that's not the case.

pin This talk was presented at an official TED conference, and was featured by our editors on the home page.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_yo ... ER4#t-9739

Last edited by tall-p on 07 Jun 2014, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 4:36 am

When my mother is gone I'll be screwed because I don't work and she supports me financially.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 5:14 am

I'm pretty sure my cousin would take me in and look after me. But, I would much rather be independent by the time i'm in my 20's. Someway somehow.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 5:48 am

Yes, it's one of the things I most worry about. My mum is like my best friend and she understands me a lot and I understand her a lot.

I do know that I will lose my parents in about 30 years time, but that's too far into the future and my life could be different by then, like I could be married or have found the right group of friends and living in a place of my own, etc. Yes whatever happens in my life it would still be sad to lose my parents, but if I was more occupied with other things like marriage and stuff like that, I won't feel completely lost.

I worry more about something happening to my mum in the near future. She is going to America this year, with her two sisters (who I'm also close to), and I can't help worrying that something might happen to them, like a terrible plane crash (or disappearance), or severe weather out there in California where they will be staying (like tornadoes). Then I'd lose them all in one go and I would feel really lost. I don't have many friends at all, and I can't seem to find a boyfriend, and I am going through quite an emotionally rough time in my life at the moment, and losing my mum is the last thing I need.

I know worrying about a holiday to America as chance of losing my mum is totally irrational, because I could lose her in other ways too, like a car crash. But I think the incredibly long flight is discouraging, and if the plane disappears like that other one did, I would live the rest of my life never knowing what happened to my dear mum.

alwaysnow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jun 2014, 6:18 am

It's hard for me to really see what it would be like without them.

I would probably be very alone though, because they're the only people I have a truly close relationship with.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 8:05 am

I have a brother, so I won't be alone.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 12:37 pm

It seems I will be.