Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

KazKazKaz
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2014, 11:34 pm

Hi, I'm Kaz! This is the first community I've been in relating to Autism / Asperger's, after coming to the general realization that these realities apply to me, and I am still processing how this affects me.

I haven't been diagnosed (my parents were very anti-modern medicine and shamed mental illness, so my siblings and I grew up without treatment for a lot of things) so I'm wary of coming forward with it to people around me. I've been reading tons of literature about Asperger's and have read a lot on these forums, and everything just kept clicking, and so much about my youth and behavior has made a lot more sense in this context. I speculatively approached some online friends about it, and was met with a mixture of support, apathy, and backlash. I was silent for a while following that because the backlash felt humiliating, and thought that I might be wrong.

Several of my close (offline) friends are Aspies and have asked me in the past if I thought I might be too, I never really thought much about it until really doing the research. I've talked more with them about this and we've grown closer, and I feel more confident in seeking an official diagnosis in order to receive aid and support services in my current job, and for the future.

A bit more info: I'm asexual and transgender (he/him), and am happy to talk about my experiences. I looove sci-fi, video games, and pretty movies and TV. My current favorite show is Hannibal (talk to me about Hannibal!) and I'm replaying Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 2:01 am

hiya Kaz :) welcome to the club 8)

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 4:48 am

Welcome! :)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 1:07 pm

Hi, Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

About backlash . . . when I told my parent in my 20s that I struggled with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) they were supportive, I later decided because it fit the whole narrative of having a problem and working on a problem. When I told them I was probably Aspie in my 40s, they were not supportive which surprised me. I think because they thought it was giving up, instead of playing to strength and being matter-of-fact about deficiencies which makes so much more sense.

Please talk to people here about the pluses and minuses of seeking a diagnosis from a mental health professional. I myself am comfortably self-diagnosed.

And also look at the realm of sensory issues. I used to think I didn't have sensory issues, but I do. And knowing helps. I can much more comfortably and easily work around things, or give myself recoup time as need be.

PS Did you see the Time magazine cover story on Transgender Civil Rights? Probably all the usual problems of a Time article, but hopefully on balance a strong net positive.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 6:47 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!