Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2014, 12:17 pm

A couple more ideas-

I try to take a very nuts & bolts practical mindset, like I'm negotiating a deal, mediating, bargaining, with myself.
I think "okay, I need to do something on list A" (tasks I loathe), what on list B (tasks I enjoy) can I bundle together with the dreaded chore/errand, that will get me to "buy in" to this ?"
Like I'm trying to sell myself a used car* (metaphorically), so I'm saying to myself "if I let myself do a bunch of stuff I want to do, will that be enough to get me to do one of the things I really don't want to deal with ?"
*Compare this notion to desirable features in a car that also has some not-so-appealing features, trying to find a package deal one is willing to accept.
For instance, I'll load up an episode of a tv show I like, pause it, then go wash the dishes-then reward myself with the tv show right afterwards.
And it might take six "fun" things to get me to tackle even half of one "un-fun" thing, but at least that's more than nothing.

Another thing, which sometimes works for a non-AS friend of mine (who has procrastination issues, similar to mine):
She'll ask me to come over & "make sure" she does something she's been putting off.
I don't actually have to "monitor" her, though-it's the idea, just me being there is enough to get her to focus on the thing she's avoiding.
It's an accountability thing, like making an appointment to do a given/set task-my mere presence (and us both knowing what she's agreed she's "supposed" to be doing) is enough of a check/guard against her getting distracted into doing other things.
However, this requires having a trusted person in one's life who is willing & able to hang out for that time period, and the person has to be someone that the AS person is comfortable with.

Good luck :)