Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 4:21 am

Posts containing personal attacks and response to them have been removed.

Please respect the forum rules and refrain from attacking other members.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 8:10 am

businezguy wrote:
Has anybody ever read the book 'Columbine' by Dave Cullen? I've ready the book a few times because after the shooting, I remember being extremely upset about the whole thing. I had graduated high school a couple of years earlier, and for some reason the shooting struck a cord with me. It just came across as absolute pure even, mainly because of the duration of the event, and the fact that the two shooters eventually shot themselves.

Anyway, in the book the author gained access to Eric Harris's manifesto, notebook, etc. This guy's manifesto was pretty much a copy Eric's. Eric too tried to lose his virginity (and failed) and then after that went on the rampage. The only main difference between the two is that Eric seemed to be able to hide his sociopathic tendencies more.

So no, I don't think that Rodger had Asperger's, I think he was a sociopath. Also, he was obviously a Red Sox fan because he was very twisted.

I've read it. Anyways, a sociopath is someone who has developed psychopathy through the environment rather than birth. Additionally, rampage shooting isn't a common trait for a real psychopath/sociopath. Rodger wouldn't fit the defintion for a psychopathy until after his rampage anyways. Psychopathy/sociopathy is not a psychological term, but a criminological one. Unless he had many encounters with the law, then he doesn't fit the criteria.
Eric's part in the shooting also had very little to do with his virginity. It was another brick in the wall. He had a girlfriend who broke up with him because he was still in highschool. Both were able to hide their "sociopathic tendencies" well enough to hide it in front of psychologists. Additionally, I don't think sociopathic tendencies explain their methods, for example, they allegedly encountered a kid being bullied and they let him live after shooting his oppressors.
We have built a culture that nearly deifies and glorifies the shooters as much as it condemns them. I don't think that oversimplifying them as being merely evil does any good for anyone.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 6:56 pm

i'd like to see the media try to get an interview with both his Dad and Mom and have them be fully honest on whether he had it or not, although I doubt that will happen

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 6:58 am

Protogenoi wrote:
Psychopathy/sociopathy is not a psychological term, but a criminological one. Unless he had many encounters with the law, then he doesn't fit the criteria.

ASPD is the diagnostic term not psychopath/sociopath. Someone can be diagnosed with ASPD without having arrests and/or a criminal record of any kind.

Also remember the person labeling Elliot as aspergers/autistic was the guy's mom. And his mom is likely the first person who's going to be biased about his "diagnosis". She probably would never have said her own son was a sociopath whether she actually thought he was one or not.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 3:10 pm

Venger wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
Psychopathy/sociopathy is not a psychological term, but a criminological one. Unless he had many encounters with the law, then he doesn't fit the criteria.

ASPD is the diagnostic term not psychopath/sociopath. Someone can be diagnosed with ASPD without having arrests and/or a criminal record of any kind.

Also remember the person labeling Elliot as aspergers/autistic was the guy's mom. And his mom is likely the first person who's going to be biased about his "diagnosis". She probably would never have said her own son was a sociopath whether she actually thought he was one or not.

A great way for her to distance herself from Elliot... That's what I see. I always felt like she simply used autism/aspergers as a way to wash her hands clean.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Oct 2014, 4:12 pm

VioletYoshi wrote:
The Walrus, many people on the Autism spectrum can have delusions of persecution due to the trauma of years of being bullied. As for delusions of grandeur, have you read the Aspie superiority threads here?
You have this thinking back to front.

Delusions are in no way symptomatic of autism, nor has anybody claimed that autistic people are never delusional. However, they are evidence for psychosis.

Basic logic:

1) Elliot Rodger had delusions
2) Some autistic people have delusions
C) Therefore, Elliot Rodger was autistic

That doesn't follow, and one could easily sub "autistic" for "non-autistic" or "was/are American" for "had/have delusions".

1) Elliot Rodger had delusions
2) Delusions are symptomatic of psychosis
C) Therefore, Elliot Rodger had symptoms of psychosis

That follows.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 4:51 pm

I've seen nothing here to indicate he was diagnosed. Unless we have a psychologist/psychiatrist here, it's irresponsible to draw that conclusion. If we do have a professional here who can diagnose, I ask what knowledge of him you have, because I'm pretty sure news articles aren't enough to make a diagnoses. This isn't denial, it's just distinguishing between speculation and fact.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 7:50 pm

sounds like we won't ever know for sure since he is dead

DeformedNostrils
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2014, 8:31 am

I doubt Rodger had Asperger's. Autism and sociopathy can be difficult to differentiate during childhood, which is when his parents initially considered HFA as a diagnosis. As a teenager he regularly visited psychiatrists but was never diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. Obviously, this suggests he was not autistic.

In saying that, there is a link between Asperger's and sociopathy. The environment in which high functioning autistic children are raised is one in which personality disorders often develop. Several bad people had/probably had Asperger's, but they obviously had other issues. For example
-Jeffrey Dahmer (Anti-Social, Borderline)
-Adam Lanza (Schizophrenia)
-Ted Bundy (Narcissistic, Anti-Social)

By the way, BPD doesn't make you kill people, but it is similar in respect to Asperger's because it is common in sociopaths

AR15000
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2016, 6:01 pm

DeformedNostrils wrote:
I doubt Rodger had Asperger's. Autism and sociopathy can be difficult to differentiate during childhood, which is when his parents initially considered HFA as a diagnosis. As a teenager he regularly visited psychiatrists but was never diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. Obviously, this suggests he was not autistic.

In saying that, there is a link between Asperger's and sociopathy. The environment in which high functioning autistic children are raised is one in which personality disorders often develop. Several bad people had/probably had Asperger's, but they obviously had other issues. For example
-Jeffrey Dahmer (Anti-Social, Borderline)
-Adam Lanza (Schizophrenia)
-Ted Bundy (Narcissistic, Anti-Social)

By the way, BPD doesn't make you kill people, but it is similar in respect to Asperger's because it is common in sociopaths

Ted Bundy probably had Aspergers??? :lmao:

HELL NO! Mr Bundy had excellent social skills and was charming, charismatic, and suave. I honestly don't know or care that much about Jeffrey Dahmer but in any case, even if Elliott Rodger had autism.....It's pretty clear he had something else that was far more serious and dangerous.

BPD doesn't always make afflicted individuals violent, but it certainly DOES make violent behavior far more likely as does Bipolar and Schizophrenia.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 7:26 pm

I've read his manifesto, and other than the superiority complex, I was able to relate to him scarily well. The feeling that everyone except you is in relationships, the anger one can feel when seeing people in happy relationships, not knowing how to go about finding a relationship...I know exactly how he felt, and I've experienced that misogyny before. It was definitely unfortunate that he was born into a wealthy family and had everything handed to him, leading to him gaining a sense of superiority and entitlement.

But as for the question, yes, I wholeheartedly believe he had Asperger's, along with some other problems.