Strong obsession to take things apart (as a child)

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

steppinthrax
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jun 2014, 11:48 am

One aspect about my behavior was a strong childhood urge to "tear down" electronic devices, appliances and TVs. This was evident as a small child and continued throughout middle and even parts of High School. Does anyone know if this is a ASD trait, or do others have this type of behavior.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 11:55 am

I did it too when I was little but it wasn't a very strong obsession for me. I mean it was not like I was taking apart every electronic device in sight and couldn't be stopped. I would only take things apart that were okay for me to experiment with. I think I stopped doing that by the time I was 10 or so. Then later I became more fixated on hooking up electronics externally and I amassed quite a collection of jacks and plugs and cables to play around with.

anotherswede
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2014, 12:03 pm

I have no idea if that has anything to do with ASD, but I liked to take things apparat too. Not violently just screw them open. Old discarded electronic things like a tape recorder. It was just of curiosity and not a strong obsessing.

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2014, 12:27 pm

I still love to do this

steppinthrax

08 Jun 2014, 2:41 pm

dianthus wrote:
I did it too when I was little but it wasn't a very strong obsession for me. I mean it was not like I was taking apart every electronic device in sight and couldn't be stopped. I would only take things apart that were okay for me to experiment with. I think I stopped doing that by the time I was 10 or so. Then later I became more fixated on hooking up electronics externally and I amassed quite a collection of jacks and plugs and cables to play around with.

Yes, I should have been more specific. I would take things apart that were broken and/or going to the trash.... But occasionally I would open something up that was working and might break it in the process..

Gyrxiur
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2014, 2:44 pm

I am still obsessed, it started with mom's iron in my 4 years and I still love it. I disassemble everything, even brand new things, if there are not any warranty stickers. And if I can't disassemble anything, I watch youtube disassembly videos ;c)

BTW, I reassemble everything back, everything works (including that iron), sometimes I even improve it in some ways.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 2:53 pm

As a child? I'm still doing it (looks left to disassembled Sony TV)

Aged about seven I left my parents with a massive repair bill after I took my Aunt Martha's clock apart and I couldn't get it back together, things have improved now though because I've learned to fix stuff I break.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 2:56 pm

P.S. www.eevblog.com and www.youtube.com/user/mikeselectricstuff

Just look for the word 'teardown', everything from IR cameras to x-ray machines.

Gyrxiur
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2014, 2:59 pm

I am watching these too, and I also watch videos about repairing cars, like scottykilmerchannel and ericthecarguy.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 3:15 pm

Indeed, I was always breaking things when young, usually toys but I did completely wreck a new stereo system when young.

Now it's not so much taking things apart but putting thing back together and repairing things. The trait perhaps endured into my interest of motor vehicle repair before that disappeared but it certainly endures now with computers and common electronics and the ability to explain how to take things apart, repair and seek whom or where to find solutions to problems. Very likely explains my fascination of reverse engineering information systems.

If it is a ASD trait then well... The more I know... I don't see it as an ASD exclusive trait, probably NT's do a lot of this as well...

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 3:17 pm

I did this a lot when I was a kid. I loved taking things apart to see what was inside and figuring out how it worked. When I was young, I'd literally want to take apart anything I could get my hands on and keep and play with the parts I found interesting. Some of my favorite toys were stuff like an old lawn mower engine my dad cleaned up so I could take it apart and put it back together.

I still love taking things apart to see how it's built. :D

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 6:12 pm

O-GOD!! Was that an obsession for me. tearing apart electronic devices was one of the biggest thing I love to do when I was a kid. In fact, it was a habit that got so bad that my mom stop getting me electronic toys for Christmas. To continue to feed my addiction, I would go dumpster diving just to look for anything electrical I could tear apart. Once I got older. I resorted to residential burglary and even breaking into those small utility shack buildings just to fill my addiction to tear things apart. I would even go as far as getting into telephone boxes on the side of the road as well. By the time I was 16. I finally stop doing that and starting actually fixing things and putting them back together.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 6:17 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
continue to feed my addiction, I would go dumpster diving just to look for anything electrical I could tear apart.

Heh. I did this a lot too when I was around 12. Finding an old piece of electronics was like Christmas morning! :lol:

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2014, 6:40 pm

I became an electriconic technician working in research n development so that I could continue tearing things apart to see how they work.

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jun 2014, 8:50 pm

steppinthrax wrote:
One aspect about my behavior was a strong childhood urge to "tear down" electronic devices, appliances and TVs. This was evident as a small child and continued throughout middle and even parts of High School. Does anyone know if this is a ASD trait, or do others have this type of behavior.
[...]
I would take things apart that were broken and/or going to the trash.... But occasionally I would open something up that was working and might break it in the process.
My parents talk about me doing this all the time. Once I took a functional rotary phone and disassembled the thing to see how it worked. I was curious, and while it was functional, it was still obsolete. Still have the rotary dial, ringer, and handset, among some other parts to it. That's the one that sticks out the most in my mind.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 10:34 pm

i threw things out my window, smashed pennies with hammers and watched toys get crushed by cars for absoulutely no reason, but i did feel an emmense amount of guilt for the toy afterwords

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com