Yes, but only polygyny 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but only polyandry 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2014, 12:08 pm

Stannis wrote:
It is not my place to tell people how to live their lives. Unless it's some anti cult measure or something. Then, sure, go ahead and ban it :shrug:

As for the cult thing, I think that if they're abusing it - like religiously enforcing it as the Mormons in the 1800's had done prior to polygamy being outlawed because of them - then that is a place where separation of Church and State would need to be questioned. When they make an abusive situation out of what would otherwise be morally neutral, then perhaps specific intervention should take place rather than blanket laws that punish everyone for the sake of abusers.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2014, 12:14 pm

beneficii wrote:
This would be difficult to implement in the context of marriage today. This would mean someone being able to marry multiple spouses, so multiple spouses would be able to get the family benefits that are intended for only one other spouse. Before this would become feasible, we would either have to accept that someone may choose multiple spouses and have family benefits for the person to apply to all the other spouses, or we should get rid of such benefits.

Same sex marriage was feasible, because you still had only one spouse getting family benefits, but with multiple spouses, there could be a serious strain on the system.

This issue needs to be much more thoroughly investigated before enshrining it in law.

For now, I vote no, but if an arrangement can be made to work, then I would change my mind to yes.

To me I see taxation laws as arbitrary. I'm sure if the legislators wanted to figure out a way to make the paperwork work, they'd invent some new rules and forms with pretty formatting and such. Maybe if there were no taxation benefits either way it would take away the financial aspect when persons consider marriage.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2014, 12:26 pm

Cyanide wrote:
Frankly, if you support gay marriage while being against polygamy, you're a hypocrite.

Actually, one of the most comical things I'd seen on a neocon blog was that, "Legalizing gay marriage would lead to polygamy being accepted". I mean seriously, if they believe the Bible and have somehow decided that polygamy is worse than homosexuality, then have they even read the Bible or were they smoking something at the time? Homosexuality is actually called a sin, and no I don't want to argue about that I'm just stating what the Bible says, but polygamy was not. If anything, the Bible has more to say against divorce - such as God hating divorce in Malachi. But only kings were not supposed to multiply wives, although they did that anyway (like David, Solomon, etc) and church *elders* weren't supposed to, with nothing being said against that practice by everyone else. The whole "colectivist culture" argument saying that it implies what goes for the leader is for everyone should then have required of everyone to be celibate like Christ was and live out their lives wishing nobody had ever told them the good news.