Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

dilanger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2014, 7:48 am

If they use Asperger's as an excuse for disrespect, diagnosed or not diagnosed. That is their problem. You do not have to tolerate it.

It also is the same for NTs for treating aspie's as if they have down syndrome. They are being disrespectful as well. I speak about employers that do not understand what AS is.

In close, do not let them get away with disrespect. Do not retaliate in anger. Use logic... and who knows...you'll get a positive conversation out of it and learn something about a person.

Seriously, this should be advice for NT NT relationships also. Funny how that works.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 7:54 am

Yep....Logic usually works, dialogue usually works, anger hardly ever works.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 8:02 am

Welcome to WP Dilanger. Those are also good opportunities to educate people on what AS is.

Wreck It Ralph

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 9:27 am

I remember reading research papers that found people tend to develop opinions and afterwards find ways to involve reasoning within their arguments, including reasoning that they had not consciously considered when developing their opinions in the first place. In other words, unless an individual has thought about something for an extended period of time, anything they say is based off of predominantly superficial reasoning, and only after backed up by more solid logic (somewhat instinctual). It's all very confusing.

Along with additional demands (such as attentional requirements), it is most likely the reason people cannot 'think in the moment', hence why text-based communication tends to be smoother and more thought out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 9:56 am

I believe people have initial impressions, which are modified by some reflective thought logistical in structure, as well as the employment of past experience.

Initial impressions are borne out of one's instinctual reactions--perhaps even "fight or flight" at times. Fortunately, we are capable of transcending initial impressions.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 10:46 am

Quote:
It also is the same for NTs for treating aspie's as if they have down syndrome.

please dont imply disablist assumptions about people with downs if want to make a serious point about how aspies are treated,because its doing the same thing to make a point.
there is no such thing as being treated like someone with down syndrome;they arent a one size fits all template,they all experience downs differently-some have even gone to university to study degrees,many live independantly and acording to UK stats 15% of aspies have a job whilst 20% of adults with downs do so, so they are financialy contributing more to the country-they deserve to be seen as adults,its a big complaint of mine having spent whole life around people being special school and special college educated amongst DSers and having lived a decade with them in residential care,as well as being someone with intelectual disability to.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 11:02 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Quote:
It also is the same for NTs for treating aspie's as if they have down syndrome.

please dont imply disablist assumptions about people with downs if want to make a serious point about how aspies are treated,because its doing the same thing to make a point.
there is no such thing as being treated like someone with down syndrome;they arent a one size fits all template,they all experience downs differently-some have even gone to university to study degrees,many live independantly and acording to UK stats 15% of aspies have a job whilst 20% of adults with downs do so, so they are financialy contributing more to the country-they deserve to be seen as adults,its a big complaint of mine having spent whole life around people being special school and special college educated amongst DSers and having lived a decade with them in residential care,as well as being someone with intelectual disability to.

How true! DSers are like us in that their condition presents itself differently in each individual. They are making great strides and are even acting on television now. Jamie Brewer is one actress and she does a fine job. I so hate stereotypes and even more sad is when one group negatively presents another group as in this example using it as a derogatory comparison. Each is an individual in this world no matter if you are a DSer, ASD, NT, whatever. All are individuals with talents and limitations. Time to dump the illiterate assumptions and stereotype as start looking at all as human beings and not define them by their condition.

Edit:

Here is a short interview with her to show that DSers can be very successful members of society just as anyone else can.

Jamie Brewer