Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2014, 12:17 pm

I love Volvos.

My dad had a 240 when I was a kid and then got a '91 940 which is what I learned to drive on. He had the 940 for like 15 years with basically no issues aside from minor electrical problems and then sold it to my brother in law, it was running like a champ up until he traded it in like a year ago.

I have a Subaru now and it's outstanding, but if I was going to diverge from Subarus in buying a sedan, assuming I had the money for it it would be almost for sure be a Volvo.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2014, 8:07 pm

amazon_television wrote:
I love Volvos.

My dad had a 240 when I was a kid and then got a '91 940 which is what I learned to drive on. He had the 940 for like 15 years with basically no issues aside from minor electrical problems and then sold it to my brother in law, it was running like a champ up until he traded it in like a year ago.

I have a Subaru now and it's outstanding, but if I was going to diverge from Subarus in buying a sedan, assuming I had the money for it it would be almost for sure be a Volvo.

I actually had a Subaru before the Volvos and it was pretty good, but kind of a lemon as Subarus go. The body was falling apart, too. I enjoyed driving it -- not as much as the tiny old Civic, but still -- but I didn't want to put a new transmission in it, and there was really something wrong with the alignment.

The 240 with snow tires was a revelation in winter driving, and I have a feeling this V70 AWD thing's going to be at least as good. I was impressed by how it did in highway thunderstorm driving, and it's just very comfortable all around. The only thing that bugs me is the sound system -- these people paid huge money for this car, and it's got a pretty crappy stereo. I'll have to replace the speakers at some point.

Can't remember if I mentioned it, but the 240 was a champ in an accident. Got rear-ended hard by a texting lady in some massive SUV that outweighed us by half a ton. There's a dent in the tailgate, and the rear bumper's a little wonky, but we drove away fine, no injuries, and the insurance payout more than covered what I paid for the car. I'm not sure I'd want to be in *another* accident in that car -- I mean it's strong and all but still the unibody's compromised and it's pretty rusty -- but I have a feeling we'd walk away fine from most accidents you could imagine in the V70. I'd just wonder where I could get a car like that for that kind of money again.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 3:32 am

I don't want to do it, but I'm going to have to get another car, especially since the dashboard in my current car (a 95 Saturn SL1 with 240000 miles) caught fire last night when I turned on the lights. I just barely got out of the driveway when I start seeing smoke coming out of the steering wheel, and all the lights went out on the dashboard. The damned thing has been blowing fuses lately for the dashboard lights. Just what I needed: in addition to massive oil consumption and a transmission that's beginning to slip.

Problem I'm having is trying to get financing for another car. I'm on SSDI, I've damn near depleted my savings, and my credit sucks rotten eggs. The only job I could possibly get right now us delivering pizza, and I refuse to go back to doing that job, unless the store has a company car (very bloody unlikely). Anyone know where I can get a bad credit loan easily (and don't tell me roadloans.com. They're a division of Santander. I've already been denied by them. Goodwill industries doesn't sell cars around here, else I'd look there. I don't want to do buy here pay here, since most of those cars are junk. I'd go through Lutheran Social Services, except right now I'm still church shopping, and I haven't talked to a caseworker there in 3 years.)

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm

I love the big luxury cars from the late 70s through 85. They are just plain really freakin cool!

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Aug 2014, 7:13 pm

I just bought a brand new car, a Mitsubishi its very cool, but I wish it would stop beeping at me for every little thing!

My old car was a 1985 Daihatsu Charade G11. It was brilliant just kept going and going, and is still going. I just got sick of crawling around under cars and the next jobs on it were going to be big expensive ones. The G11 drives like a rally car and mechanically it is very simple, only 3 cylinders but a real hoot to drive.