Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 9:45 pm

I was just listening to some Counting Crows and reminded of how much how many of their songs resonate with me. I really never get into that thing where people start listing people who have Autism, but I've been struck over and over about this thing with Counting Crows. So I googled. Here is what I found. Interesting.

Counting Crows lead singer Adam Duritz opened up about his dark battle with depersonalization disorder during an interview with HuffPost Live on Thursday

After host Rick Camilleri asked about the long gaps between Counting Crows studio albums, Duritz explained that several years ago his mental health issues began to effect his perception of reality, rendering him unable to write songs.

"It makes the world seem like it's not real sometimes, like you're just imagining it," Duritz said.

And at a time when he needed friends the most, Duritz said he was unable to find solace in anyone else.

"There's not much other people can do," he said. "The stuff that goes on inside your head, there's not really any way for anyone to get between you and it."

Hear all about Durtiz's struggles with mental illness in the video above.

Check out the full segment with Adam Duritz on HuffPost Live HERE.

Adam Duritz: Mental Illness

Here's one of the songs, I love it because it describes the pleasure in life juxtaposed with the difficulties of being "the other."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE0m96Rrs24&feature=kp[/youtube]

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 9:56 pm

Here's another one I relate to.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izeDRfkyMAQ[/youtube]

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 7:24 am

It's so odd you should mention this, as just the other week I ran into their song "Round Here" and it reminded me of a line in that song that ALWAYS stood out to me and to which I related strongly. "She has trouble acting normal when she's nervous." This was back in 1993 when I hadn't even realized yet that I may be an undiagnosed spectrum case -- but had struggled enormously witha smorgasbord of total crap all my life --- including "trouble acting normal when I'm nervous!" :lol: Whenever I heard that song come up on the radio back in the day, that line stuck me like a knife because I felt like it was written about me and/or summed up one of my many issues perfectly.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 7:57 pm

That line gets me too. I seem to have trouble acting "normal" all the time, though! :D But it is worse when I'm nervous.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 2:46 am

wozeree wrote:
That line gets me too. I seem to have trouble acting "normal" all the time, though! :D But it is worse when I'm nervous.
Yeah, me too! :lol: