article about Bumentanide as a possible cure for Autism

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 11:00 pm

Here is an article I just read. I just heard about his from a relative and it is very interesting.
http://www.autismspeaks.org/science/sci ... -treatment

Wreck It Ralph

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 11:21 pm

Wow, it's really fascinating! The over excited neurons makes total sense, esp. with the high prevalence of seizures and anxiety in people with autism. The "switch" failing to be flipped at birth that is they talk about in the article would fit in with having a difficult birth or pregnancy.

(Although if the failure for the switch to be flipped is indeed due to a lack of oxytocin from the mother, one could argue that this just enforces the "refrigerator parent" theory. :wink: )

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 12:36 am

I have been reading studies for a while now that maintain ASD stems from a deficiency or dysfunction of GABA neurotransmission/neurotransmitters.

Judging from my own experience, in which GABA supplementation stopped all executive dysfunction from day 1 of taking it, and zapped my anxiety from high to almost non-existent, I am very interested in this new study and any future ones that turn up.

Thanks for posting it Skibum

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:19 am

B19 wrote:
I have been reading studies for a while now that maintain ASD stems from a deficiency or dysfunction of GABA neurotransmission/neurotransmitters.

Judging from my own experience, in which GABA supplementation stopped all executive dysfunction from day 1 of taking it, and zapped my anxiety from high to almost non-existent, I am very interested in this new study and any future ones that turn up.

Thanks for posting it Skibum

I've been considering taking GABA for those very reasons. Is there anything I should know before taking it?

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2014, 3:44 am

Quote:
The GABA switch
Their theory is based on previous research suggesting that prolonged excitation of neurons (brain nerve cells) may be partly to blame for autism. This has led to broad interest in the neurotransmitter GABA, which can inhibit brain signaling.

But GABA?s actions are anything but simple. During prenatal brain development, GABA appears to excite brain cells. Then at birth, GABA?s action appears to switch to an inhibiting role that continues through life.

Some research suggests that the ?GABA switch? is flipped by a surge of the hormone oxytocin from the infant?s mother. If the switch fails to happen, the study?s authors suggest, the neurons remain over-excited, producing autism.

In their study, the investigators found evidence that bumetanide restores the normal GABA switch at birth by reducing high levels of chloride inside neurons. Chloride is a key regulator of GABA?s actions.]

*from liked article.

I have been saying this for a while now, but this new research looks very promising (I am still stuck at the L-Glutamate connection).

I wonder if it all ties in somehow?

We'll get to the bottom of it. lol

Thanks for sharing.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 3:58 am

Some people take it at night, because it slows them down too much if they take it in the morning.

I take it first thing in the morning, with coffee (which works fine for me). You may need to experiment with when and how much to take, to find the best combination for you.

Basically GABA gives me a really calm mood combined with a focused mind.

I haven't had any negative side effects (have now been on it for just over 2 months).

I sleep much more deeply and wake up remarkably refreshed, never tired in the morning now (as I used to be).

I take it on an empty stomach, at least 20 minutes before food.

Hope you will also find that it has positive effects.

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2014, 9:08 am

Am I the only one here that feels like we don't need to be cured? I mean, "cure" means something can be "fixed" and is broken if left alone. I love who I am, I'm not broken, I don't need to be "cured", and refuse to try any "fix". I can see if this were a treatment rather than a flat-out cure, but this is Autism Speaks we're talking about, the same asswipes that compared Autism to Cancer. What am I missing? :duh:

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 9:47 am

Since the etiology of most forms of autism is still unknown, I don't see that fragile-x mouse models and valproate-exposed rat models are likely to be that predictive of efficacy across the spectrum.

The headline makes a lot of silly leaps and simplifications and the body of the article isn't much better.

Quote:
?It?s perfectly fine to be excited about findings like this, but it?s incredibly important to understand that this shouldn?t inspire families to consider bumetanide as a treatment for their loved ones,? Dr. Ring emphasizes. ?There are still many things we don?t understand about how it works, as well as some obvious safety considerations that need to be rigorously explored before its use in treating autism should be seriously discussed.?

Nor were the researchers suggesting that pregnant women take the drug. Rather, they performed the experiment to test their theory on how the drug affects brain biochemistry. According to their theory, bumetanide may indirectly restore a vital biochemical ?switch? whose failure might lead to autism.

DukeJanTheGrey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2014, 10:24 am

Anything to do with the brain will be oversimplified. I've recently had an experience that could be described as a switch been flipped on, in a very positive way though. I think I know the cause/causes but can only speculate but it lead to me researching epigenetics. Had a flick through the article and it seems interesting, I will read thoroughly when I have time.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 10:40 am

If an oxytocin surge during delivery is thought to flip the switch, I wonder if induction with small amounts of pitocin explains why none of my kids seem to have inherited my autism?

Regarodless, I am highly suspicious of anything that comes out of France and is headlining Autism Speaks' homepage.

It just thrills the Wrights' little souls...

...but it says very early in the article that it should in no way be considered for human treatment at this stage.

Their grandson's condition has just shattered those folks. I should curse them less and pray for them more.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:22 pm

Shep wrote:
Am I the only one here that feels like we don't need to be cured? I mean, "cure" means something can be "fixed" and is broken if left alone. I love who I am, I'm not broken, I don't need to be "cured", and refuse to try any "fix". I can see if this were a treatment rather than a flat-out cure, but this is Autism Speaks we're talking about, the same asswipes that compared Autism to Cancer. What am I missing? :duh:

I'm like you in that I really don't want a cure either, for the same exact reasons. I'm excited about the possibility of a treatment, just something that might help deal with some of the more negative and disabling aspects of autism, definatly not something that would "take away" our autism.

There is one passage from the article that shows some evidence for a it being a treatment and not a cure:
Quote:
Previous clinical trials
In 2012, Drs. Lemonnier and Ben-Ari reported on the promising results of a small clinical trial with 60 children with Asperger syndrome, a type of autism. A three-month course of daily bumetanide temporarily reduced the severity of autism symptoms in three-quarters of the children. The treatment also produced low potassium levels, the drug?s common side effect. This was treated with potassium supplements. The researchers are now conducting additional clinical trials in Europe.

Of course, with it being writen by autism speaks, there is a significant emphasis on the possibility of a cure. This is my personal opinion regarding autismspeaks. The face of the organization, their propaganda, representation of autism, emphasis on finding a cure, and so on, are all things that I really dislike and am often offended by. However there is some very worthwhile and actually helpful research that they have funded so far, although these studies don't usually grab attention. Even so, this in no way redeems autism speaks from anything.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:28 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
If an oxytocin surge during delivery is thought to flip the switch, I wonder if induction with small amounts of pitocin explains why none of my kids seem to have inherited my autism?
I wonder if the fact that I was born via a planned c section could have had some effect on me.

Quote:
Their grandson's condition has just shattered those folks. I should curse them less and pray for them more.
It makes me sad to think of what all this is doing to their grandson. Could he ever be ok with and feel proud of who he is? What is his self esteem like, and does he feel like a curse on his family?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:31 pm

I don't really know anything about Autism Speaks except for what I have read on WP so I don't have a real opinion of them and I don't think about them at all. I also don't know that I personally would like a cure for myself because I have been me for over 4 decades and I can't imagine being any different. And I can't imagine that it would ever be offered to me anyway. But I think that this research is definitely interesting and I will be curious to see what comes of it.

Wreck It Ralph

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 2:55 pm

Shep wrote:

PLEASE let's not let this thread turn into another pro/anti cure debate, there are already plenty of those :(I am not talking about cure, I don't want a "cure" either. What GABA has done for me is to alleviate the handicapping factors of my ASD existence. It enables me to function as the best version of my self.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 3:39 pm

The best website I have found for comprehensive information on GABA:

www.gammaaminobutryricacid.org (You may have to google this in to the search field as the link doesn't seem to work today)

I think it is important to note that I don't drink alcohol, and that if you decide to trial GABA, it may be a very good idea not to drink alcohol with it as this would probably magnify the calming effect of GABA to a point of extremity that would not be good.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 5:08 pm

B19 wrote:
The best website I have found for comprehensive information on GABA:

www.gammaaminobutryricacid.org (You may have to google this in to the search field as the link doesn't seem to work today)

I think it is important to note that I don't drink alcohol, and that if you decide to trial GABA, it may be a very good idea not to drink alcohol with it as this would probably magnify the calming effect of GABA to a point of extremity that would not be good.

So if I'm planning on getting drunk, I should skip my dose for that day?