Anyone here who doesn't like math or science.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2014, 12:55 am

trollcatman wrote:
nopy4869 wrote:
I think there might be something to that, but like I always say: Intelligence is the capacity for knowledge and intellectual thought. Smarts is your ability to use your intelligence.

To put it another way: I'm intelligent because I can learn easily and can know a lot. I am not necessarily very smart because I don't find myself using my intelligence for anything.

That's exactly how I am. I was good at "school work", and people mistake that for being smart.

Grades = intelligence. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who legitimately think there is a strong correlation.

Regardless, I was always terrible at math beyond the basics. It wasn't necessarily that I was bad at learning it, but the memorizing was where the trouble was. If I'd been given visual examples throughout the year, I'd probably wouldn't have so many problems.

Science, on the other hand, has always somewhat fascinated me, but not big. Actually, I'd always wanted to take chemistry. The elements and how stuff is formed has always piqued my interest as well.

nopy4869
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Dec 2014, 5:46 pm

Hansgrohe wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
nopy4869 wrote:
I think there might be something to that, but like I always say: Intelligence is the capacity for knowledge and intellectual thought. Smarts is your ability to use your intelligence.

To put it another way: I'm intelligent because I can learn easily and can know a lot. I am not necessarily very smart because I don't find myself using my intelligence for anything.

That's exactly how I am. I was good at "school work", and people mistake that for being smart.

Grades = intelligence. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who legitimately think there is a strong correlation.

Regardless, I was always terrible at math beyond the basics. It wasn't necessarily that I was bad at learning it, but the memorizing was where the trouble was. If I'd been given visual examples throughout the year, I'd probably wouldn't have so many problems.

Science, on the other hand, has always somewhat fascinated me, but not big. Actually, I'd always wanted to take chemistry. The elements and how stuff is formed has always piqued my interest as well.

Chemistry doesn't interest me nearly as much as biochemistry which fascinates me because taking a plant and through several processes making powerful medications is completely amazing. Computer Science, though, is a lot more my field because it's interesting how you can take what amounts to a piece of paper and write some words, feed that through a program, and receive your words in a form that the computer can understand.