Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 10:53 am

micfranklin wrote:
chris5000 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
micfranklin wrote:
And we don't need to go back to Iraq anyway. If they're that ineffective at preventing militants from taking over then try asking for a neighboring country's help instead of ours.

As Iran sees Al Qaeda as their enemy, they should send in troops. I know, I know, people will jump on me and say that will seal Iraq's fate as an Iranian satellite, but as the Iranian and Iraqi government's have been making overtures to one another for years now - while we were still occupying Iraq, in fact - that ship's already sailed.

if iran did anything israel will be chomping at the bit to bomb them

I think iraq should be left to deal with its problems internally and the UN should try and keep foreign fighters out not invite them in with cash and guns like they did with Syria

Why not Turkey? Turkey is a secular state, from what I understand and they share a border so why not let them take care of it?

As Turkey is a NATO ally, we'd be obligated to be right back smack in the middle of the fighting, again.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 11:14 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
micfranklin wrote:
chris5000 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
micfranklin wrote:
And we don't need to go back to Iraq anyway. If they're that ineffective at preventing militants from taking over then try asking for a neighboring country's help instead of ours.

As Iran sees Al Qaeda as their enemy, they should send in troops. I know, I know, people will jump on me and say that will seal Iraq's fate as an Iranian satellite, but as the Iranian and Iraqi government's have been making overtures to one another for years now - while we were still occupying Iraq, in fact - that ship's already sailed.

I think iraq should be left to deal with its problems internally and the UN should try and keep foreign fighters out not invite them in with cash and guns like they did with Syria

Why not Turkey? Turkey is a secular state, from what I understand and they share a border so why not let them take care of it?

As Turkey is a NATO ally, we'd be obligated to be right back smack in the middle of the fighting, again.

We were obligated to defend Ukraine as well, but that didn't exactly work out for them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 11:16 am

TheGoggles wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
micfranklin wrote:
chris5000 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
micfranklin wrote:

We were obligated to defend Ukraine as well, but that didn't exactly work out for them.

I don't believe Ukraine ever had NATO membership, though Russia definitely feared that had been in the works.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 12:42 pm

It's a shame we make the Iraqi translators wait so long before immigrating here, they put their lives on the line and we just hang them out to dry.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Jun 2014, 1:47 pm

It's time to cut our losses with Iraq, further military involvement won't be beneficial to Iraq or the US. As ugly as a it sounds, only a strongman like Saddam could keep that country together and that was done by fear and massive political repression. Western democracy can't work, these states were artificially drawn up by the conquering powers after WWI. Nothing we can do can stop the sectarian divide so it's best to just step back and let nature take its course. We should just let the Shiites, Sunnis, and Kurds all go their separate ways.

The US should of never stuck its nose in Syria and it should be pressuring these Arab states to stop supporting terrorism. They're a much bigger threat to the US than Iran ever was or will be. The Saudis are not our friends.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 5:55 pm

Well, Saddam was of the Sunni minority that has controlled the place for so long (the Shiites are new to it in Iraq). Since they were kicked out in 2003.... Everyone wants their power back. Sure, most of the current resurgence has been via religious overtones, but it's still Sunnis wanting it back.

If anything good is to come of this, it might just make the US and Iran a little closer (Iran = Shiite; Baghdad = Shiite; you get the idea).

ISIS has to be stopped. The worst terrorist group around holding all of Iraq's oil (money = ability to wage war and conquer, which is what they want) = bad news.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 8:49 am

It just gets worse and worse and yet somehow the US still needs to get involved.

http://news.yahoo.com/crisis-life-threa ... 53116.html

DeuceKaboose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2014, 6:02 pm

AntDog wrote:
We should end all involvement in the Middle East until they decide to get out of the stone age.

I'm pretty sure a big part of the reason why people want to get involved in middle eastern conflict is due to the abundance of oil in the middle east and because oil = money and oil = production people want to make sure that they can have secure and inexpensive oil. And other countries that have oil (Netherlands,Russia etc) tend to charge a lot more for it then most middle eastern countries

Also not all of the middle east is bad Dubai is amazing Qatar is nice minus the corruption Israel is well developed also some of the North African parts of the middle east are a bit more well off

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 9:33 am

Not the Middle East, just leave Iraq on its own. There's more important things to worry about than Iraq.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 9:46 pm

DeuceKaboose wrote:
AntDog wrote:
We should end all involvement in the Middle East until they decide to get out of the stone age.

I'm pretty sure a big part of the reason why people want to get involved in middle eastern conflict is due to the abundance of oil in the middle east and because oil = money and oil = production people want to make sure that they can have secure and inexpensive oil. And other countries that have oil (Netherlands,Russia etc) tend to charge a lot more for it then most middle eastern countries

Also not all of the middle east is bad Dubai is amazing Qatar is nice minus the corruption Israel is well developed also some of the North African parts of the middle east are a bit more well off

I don't think there is much oil in the Netherlands anymore. I think you meant Norway.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 7:21 am

trollcatman wrote:
DeuceKaboose wrote:
AntDog wrote:

I don't think there is much oil in the Netherlands anymore. I think you meant Norway.

Not to mention Venezuela, and both countries have a habit of staying out of foreign conflicts that don't involve them.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 10:13 am

Also, I read somewhere that a military of 30,000 Iraqi soldiers fled and ran away from a group of 300 Islamic militants. There is a serious problem when the official military of thousands chooses not to engage against a handful of bad guys.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 11:51 am

micfranklin wrote:
Also, I read somewhere that a military of 30,000 Iraqi soldiers fled and ran away from a group of 300 Islamic militants. There is a serious problem when the official military of thousands chooses not to engage against a handful of bad guys.

the people want something totally different than their puppet government