Page 1 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 1:30 am

So,

We have received more than enough complaints about how 1.0 was a bit of a mess due to how we tried to match people all over the world in 1 single thread and we would like to try again on smaller areas.

Discussion on this subject can be found here: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp6100728.html#6100728 and on followup posts.

As it happens we are aiming for a smaller approach that would be centralised on a main thread listing every subthread.

The catch is that I suck at doing the divisions because I live in a country where there was only one active member(who has now stopped posting) and know very little of geography in other countries so you are going to be the ones that have to start each regional thread.

List of regional threads so far:
Worldwide
Worldwide Aspergian Singles List 2.0(Straight)

Worldwide Aspergian Singles List 2.0(LGBT)

USA:
USA West Coast
USA South-East; Florida to Delaware

We are leaving 1.0 as a sticky for a bit but would love to take it down soon if people like this idea more

Last edited by spongy on 12 Jun 2014, 12:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 5:55 am

Going by this, you'd need an entire category of Singles List, categorizing each section of each continent etc.

A good idea perhaps? But would this be listed underneath Love & Dating, or have a series of stickies (flooding down the topic list) of each country, continent, place etc.?

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2014, 9:08 am

I get that some people here would like to date only within a five-mile radius from where they live, but what about those of us who'd be happy to meet someone from anywhere in the world? Maybe keep a global list in addition to the sub-lists?

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 9:54 am

Aspendos wrote:
I get that some people here would like to date only within a five-mile radius from where they live, but what about those of us who'd be happy to meet someone from anywhere in the world? Maybe keep a global list in addition to the sub-lists?

I will be adding a link to the global one right now.
Its just that not that many people seem interested on that idea

Alternative wrote:
Going by this, you'd need an entire category of Singles List, categorizing each section of each continent etc.

A good idea perhaps? But would this be listed underneath Love & Dating, or have a series of stickies (flooding down the topic list) of each country, continent, place etc.?

One sticky(this?) listing every thread by country(just like its doing) and several regular threads.
Someone may flood several threads from the same country I guess.

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2014, 10:30 am

spongy wrote:
Aspendos wrote:

Thanks, but I didn't really mean to just keep the current list going. The current list is very hard to navigate because, for example, there's no sub-division into straight or gay, and so many people are looking just regionally.

I meant to create a real "global" list, or two - one straight, one gay -, for those of us who are looking globally.

Thanks.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 10:45 am

Aspendos wrote:
spongy wrote:
Aspendos wrote:

Thanks, but I didn't really mean to just keep the current list going. The current list is very hard to navigate because, for example, there's no sub-division into straight or gay, and so many people are looking just regionally.

I meant to create a real "global" list, or two - one straight, one gay -, for those of us who are looking globally.

Thanks.

Created the sublists for worldwide and any member can create a new thread for straight/non straight people right now.

In order to watch a thread you need to go to the last reply and just below it there is a clickable text that says start watching this topic(right here it would say stop watching because a personal reply makes the server assume you want to be notified of further replies)

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 10:52 am

Would expanding the set of options in user profiles work?

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2014, 11:10 am

spongy wrote:
In order to watch a thread you need to go to the last reply and just below it there is a clickable text that says start watching this topic(right here it would say stop watching because a personal reply makes the server assume you want to be notified of further replies)

Yes, but that option wasn't there when I last checked the old thread. I made a post months ago, and never received any notifications, and there was no link at the bottom of the thread to "watch". It's there now, which is why I deleted my post here asking for it.

By the way, it also doesn't work if you click on "watch" on the last page of a thread. It just takes you back to the first page of the thread. You have to click on "watch" on the first page to actually receive notifications.

Please change the title of the worldwide thread from "non-straight" to "LGBT" ... "Non-straight" is offensive. Thanks.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 11:29 am

Aspendos wrote:
Please change the title of the worldwide thread from "non-straight" to "LGBT" ... "Non-straight" is offensive. Thanks.

I'm heterosexual, so I don't care that much, however, in the non-straight group there are a huge number of variants and permutations. So, instead of just "LBGT", you may end up needing something like "LBGTQWODLHANEONSKIENIHDIJASFLIAJBSVIUAUHFXZW" and sometimes "Y". Also, there are a few people here who have essentially no gender or sexual identity, but want to date. Having a default catch-all seems to make sense. Maybe something like "Variant Orientations" would work for LGBT and other orientations.

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2014, 11:37 am

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Aspendos wrote:

I'm heterosexual, so I don't care that much, however, in the non-straight group there are a huge number of variants and permutations. So, instead of just "LBGT", you may end up needing something like "LBGTQWODLHANEONSKIENIHDIJASFLIAJBSVIUAUHFXZW" and sometimes "Y". Also, there are a few people here who have essentially no gender or sexual identity, but want to date. Having a default catch-all seems to make sense. Maybe something like "Variant Orientations" would work for LGBT and other orientations.

Calling us "non-straight" is like calling autistics "non-NT", or "non-normal". That would be just as offensive.

Everyone knows what "LGBT" stands for (or "LGBTQIAP+" if you like), but no one would understand "Variant Orientations".

Also: "Aspergian" in the thread titles doesn't work either. Not everyone here is Asperger's, and we need to include everyone on the autism spectrum.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 11:43 am

Aspendos wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Aspendos wrote:

Calling us "non-straight" is like calling autistics "non-NT", or "non-normal". That would be just as offensive.

Everyone knows what "LGBT" stands for (or "LGBTQIAP+" if you like), but no one would understand "Variant Orientations".

Also: "Aspergian" in the thread titles doesn't work either. Not everyone here is Asperger's, and we need to include everyone on the autism spectrum.

So, the two major categories "Autism Spectrum - Straight" and "Autism Spectrum - LGBTQIAP+" would work?

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 11:44 am

Aspendos wrote:
spongy wrote:

Yes, but that option wasn't there when I last checked the old thread. I made a post months ago, and never received any notifications, and there was no link at the bottom of the thread to "watch". It's there now, which is why I deleted my post here asking for it.

By the way, it also doesn't work if you click on "watch" on the last page of a thread. It just takes you back to the first page of the thread. You have to click on "watch" on the first page to actually receive notifications.

Done as much.

Its a bit tricky to do this threads here because many autistic people do not identify as anything that falls under LGBT so I wasnt sure what to do exactly.

The title will probably be redefined again as soon as one of this people pops up and helps us figure out a better title

Edit: watch a thread "works" on every page.
However this site needs a lot of work since its incredibly buggy so half of the time your requests to watch a thread are ignored.
I believe you get a you are now watching this thread notification when it goes through

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 8:00 am

spongy wrote:
One sticky(this?) listing every thread by country(just like its doing) and several regular threads.
Someone may flood several threads from the same country I guess.

It's going to be a massive project that's all. If drawn as some sort of diagram/workflow, that's ALOT of detail. :)

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jun 2014, 6:17 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Aspendos wrote:

So, the two major categories "Autism Spectrum - Straight" and "Autism Spectrum - LGBTQIAP+" would work?

I was hoping others would weigh in here. You could also call it "LGBT+" to be a bit more succinct and still inclusive of anyone who doesn't define as "straight". Of course, I don't know in which thread the many people on this site who are heteroromantic, but asexual would prefer to post. Do they define more as straight or lgbtqi"A"p+?

"Autism Spectrum - Straight" and "Autism Spectrum - LGBTQIAP+" doesn't sound search engine friendly. People may come to these threads from outside Wrong Planet. So maybe "Worldwide Asperger/Autistic Singles List 2.0 - Straight" and "Worldwide Asperger/Autistic Singles List 2.0 - LGBT+"?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 5:06 am

I'm not sure why there needs to be separate threads for different sexual orientations. Does that mean people who are bisexual (or similar) will have to post in more than one thread?

Most people say "I'm ____ and I'm looking for ____", it's pretty easy to skim past anything you're not interested in.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 6:35 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I'm not sure why there needs to be separate threads for different sexual orientations. Does that mean people who are bisexual (or similar) will have to post in more than one thread?

:lol: Forgot about that.

P.S. - Awesome Username. Seeing them live on July 4th. "LONELY LAYAYADAYY!" :wink: