Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 6:10 pm

Now Federal Employee Health Benefits plan providers may cover The Surgery? (though they don't have to). How insane is that, federal funds going toward The Surgery??

http://transgenderlawcenter.org/archives/10474

We need to put an end to all of this insane Obamarama? before it all gets out of hand and dooms us all!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 8:55 pm

The insurance companies may see an opportunity here to make money.

They may be to get OPM to agree to health premium increases to justify covering for the extremely unlikely occurrence that a federal employee will need 'the surgery'.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 10:11 pm

Considering that the plan options include Health Savings accounts and Flexible spending accounts it looks like federal employees have premiums and co-pays just like every other insurance plan. Does this mean that employees are paying for their Federal Health Care plan? If so, it is none of my business how they use it. I don't see information regarding this surgery being an option in the plan that would require higher premium payments. If insurance companies offer coverage for this procedure then Federal Employees should have this option as well. We have no right to judge their insurance choices just because we dont agree with their lifestyle or sexual orientation.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 10:14 pm

Please extrapolate on the last sentence.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 10:29 pm

If Federal employees pay premiums, co-pays, whatever for their insurance it is none of my business what insurance choices they make. The Surgery is not a cosmetic procedure. It is a quality of life procedure. Transgender people have the same right. Transgender is not all about sex. It is about identity.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 11:08 pm

khaoz wrote:
Considering that the plan options include Health Savings accounts and Flexible spending accounts it looks like federal employees have premiums and co-pays just like every other insurance plan.

Yes, most federal employees do pay monthly premiums, and co-pays. However, not HSA plans. I have a HSA, and I am a federal employee. I receive $108 in cash / month deposited into my HSA debit card to spend at my pleasure. HSAs do have co-pays.

Flex Spending is putting one's pre-tax money into a distinct medical expense account; it is not part of FEHB.

Quote:
Does this mean that employees are paying for their Federal Health Care plan? If so, it is none of my business how they use it.

Only partially. An employee's FEHB health care premium is ~75% subsidized by the employer federal agency (i.e., the federal government).

Quote:
I don't see information regarding this surgery being an option in the plan that would require higher premium payments. If insurance companies offer coverage for this procedure then Federal Employees should have this option as well. We have no right to judge their insurance choices just because we dont agree with their lifestyle or sexual orientation.

Insurance companies don't cover this procedure though. So, they may use this "new procedure" as a means to justify raising premiums.