Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 3:05 am

I still love my iPad, but iOs8?

It crashes. My iPad crashes. My phone crashes. Inconceivable.

RTFM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2014, 5:08 am

zer0netgain wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Indeed, the next big step is an OS so "intelligent" that it can improve/maintain itself. Tell the PC what you want to do, and it figures out how to do it.

Being cynical, maybe its time to ditch all the current 'in' languages and start writing in prolog then ;)

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2014, 3:41 am

Reasons I don't like iOS: Touchscreen nonsense.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 12:53 am

JitakuKeibiinB wrote:
Reasons I don't like iOS: Touchscreen nonsense.

Then you really wouldn't like Android or Windows 8.1 either.

You might want to read an article that appeared in the 1940's in the Atlantic Monthly magazine entitled "As we may think" by Vannevar Bush. This is one of the seminal articles in the discipline known as information science. Bush describes a hypothetical device known as Memex. Over the last 25 years, there have been several devices, like the Palm Pilot, or the communicators used in the original Star Trek series, to the current iteration of handheld devices running iOS, Android, Symbian, or any Windows CE variant, that sorta comes close to what Bush was describing.

If you want to get really hardcore on Bush and Memex, you should talk to a former saxophone student of mine: Dr. Thad Starner at Georgia Tech. Dr. Starner, while not the world's greatest saxophonist, is an expert on what might be the next iteration of personal computing: wearable computing. He's been toying around with wearable computing since he was a grad student at MIT. CPU Magazine did an article on him and his research a few years back.