Is anyone sick of updates on console games?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 5:46 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Sorry Misery, I was likely over offensive, but it is just that I am seeing way too many comments lately about the "master race" thing, and I thought you were coming off as one too. Just feels like every gaming related thing I read lately (YouTube comments are the worst) where consoles are getting unfairly criticised that it has made me feel a bit upset.

As it is, I have spent over 665 hours on Skyrim on Xbox 360 version, spread among some 17 different characters, my latest save of it being 3171. And people acting like it is a buggy mess that is unfulfilling without mods is going to make me angry as I know about this game is good.

Eh, dont worry about it. Not necessarily over offensive, but part of it is just me getting incensed a tad too easily. I aint been in the best mood lately.

And yeah, as I said, the master race thing is bloody old as heck by now. I mean, good grief. And you mention Youtube, and I could swear THAT is where it came from. I watch Youtube as my main "thing to watch" since I dont do TV/movies, and.... yeah. That's where I heard it first, and that's where I see it most. It's also the most common place for me to see things like "console wars" arguements, or even PC fans arguing over specs and equipment, which is probably stupidest of all.

And Skyrim is indeed good even when it's buggy.... it's like alot of sandbox games in that regard. What I played of Red Dead.... something, I cannot remember the full title suddenly.... was like that. you'd be going along just fine, and then suddenly there'd be horses constantly falling out of some big tree somewhere, because sandbox bugs. As long as they didnt get in the way (which seems to be how most are) I dont mind them. Though there are some that DO get in the way at times. The mod thing I bring up mainly because I'm a big fan of modding, particularly after getting into Minecraft, which tends to just not have quite enough content.... and DEFINITELY not enough challenge.... without the things.

But yeah, them damn Youtube comments.... only thing you can really do is resist the urge to read the blasted things. I dunno about you, but I can never quite manage to do that. And then I get angry at them. A vicious cycle.

Quote:
On one hand, I think it's stupid that devs use console updates as an excuse to release unfinished games and patch them later...

It could be worse. Could be one of those situations where they release the game, and then like a freaking WEEK later, suddenly there's paid DLC. Where you KNOW that this "DLC" was content completed before release, and was simply ripped out and sold seperately (EA is fond of this one lately, as is Activision; it seems to happen more often on PC, I think) but you just cant do a bloody thing about it. These guys KNOW they can get away with it, they know there's nothing the consumer can do aside from not buy the game, so they happily do it.

It's even worse when the week-later paid DLC is something LARGE, like full maps or something like that, because then it's SUPER obvious that no, there's no way in hell these were done in the course of a week.

Just.... arrrrgh. Of all the current sales/marketing/business trends, this one bothers me the most. Even the plague that is "freemium" doesnt irritate me THAT much.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 6:32 am

You talk sense Misery. I don't know why I thought of you as unreasonable before, you seem pretty cool.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 7:36 am

Bradleigh wrote:
You talk sense Misery. I don't know why I thought of you as unreasonable before, you seem pretty cool.

I dunno... listen to me long enough and I might not make quite as much sense as that :wink:

Particularly if I space out partway through or outright forget what I'm doing or why. Things go all derpy at that point.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 9:00 am

I forgot about 3DS updates but at least I can say those are less than 5min. not nearly an hour before I can jump into my game! :-)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 8:47 pm

Misery wrote:
It could be worse. Could be one of those situations where they release the game, and then like a freaking WEEK later, suddenly there's paid DLC.

Well, that's a little different: updates are band-aids, paid DLC are cheap money grabbing attempts (most of the time).

HamtaroCappy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2014, 6:33 am

I can relate to this on a literal emotional level (and no, I don't use the word literally in a non-literal sense).

It annoys me. If the game's not finished, don't release it. It makes me feel as if game testers aren't testing well enough.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 7:58 am

HamtaroCappy wrote:
I can relate to this on a literal emotional level (and no, I don't use the word literally in a non-literal sense).

It annoys me. If the game's not finished, don't release it. It makes me feel as if game testers aren't testing well enough.

Sadly, this isnt always possible.

I do alot of testing for indie devs, and work with them directly. And I dont mean the "MMO beta" sort of testing where it's more about just playing the game early, I mean REAL testing.

And really, even indie devs have their "due dates" when it comes to the games they are making.... a set date when, no matter what, the game's development CANNOT go past. It HAS to be done by that date. This is for financial reasons, and it can wreck ya if you dont manage it.

And the testing.... it's the nature of programming in general that a damn silly amount of bugs can appear during the development process. And even with us testers both reporting bugs (in great detail; you cant just say "this happened", moreso you need to say "This happened, and when I experimented with it, I found it was because of this thing over here) at an absurd rate, AND making tons of suggestions related to game balance and content, it's damn near impossible to catch every issue before release. Frankly, I think it cant be done. It doesnt help that every time an update is done.... which is very, very frequent during this stage of development.... more bugs can be introduced, and more balance problems can appear as well.

And the more complicated the game and the more complicated it's code and resources, the more bugs and problems you're going to get.

And that's with INDIE devs. They have no publisher hanging over their heads making damn stupid demands and generally making the job much harder than it needs to be. The big guys, the ones that do have major publishers to deal with, well.... let's just say, I dont envy them for what they have to do and deal with as the release date gets closer and closer. And yeah, I know release dates can get pushed back and all, but that's VERY situational, and even when it happens it can only go so far and still be viable. Yeah, there's goofy exceptions every now and then, but those.... often dont end up going quite right.

So while there ARE jerky groups that will do this sort of thing on purpose, that's for DLC, not updates. If bugfix updates or similar stuff is firing off often right after release, it's for the reasons listed above.

And when that's happening, I bet those devs are absolutely SCRAMBLING to do damage control as best they can during that nasty immediate post-release period. That bit, it's difficult as well.