Is anyone sick of updates on console games?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2014, 7:04 pm

Turn a new game on or pop in an old one you own 6+ months old UPDATE AVAILABLE 10-20 sometimes 30+ BEFORE YOU CAN ACTUALLY PICK UP THE CONTROLLER AND START PLAYING! I hear the argument "Oh PC has been doing this for years and consoles are just joining in." Also the argument can be made games such as GTA V and MGS 4 (both 10min. or 20+ in MGS 4 case) have ALOT to load to play properly but it annoys me! By the time I get a game loaded I could have jumped into a handheld game. I know handheld = travel so it's different I KNOW but if you only have say an hour or 2 to play (for example) Take 20+ min. just to lead to gameplay takes valuable time from gaining any traction in the game! Mission based game barely get through 1 mission then your hour is up but say 30min. of that WAS LOADING THE DAMN GAME! I'M SICK OF IT!

From what I hear PS4 and even now Wii U the current gen systems have to install and LOAD EVERYTHING!! !! ! SHEESH! I don't want a sprawling Hyrule Skyrim Zelda for Wii U if it takes 20min. to get to game to play as Link. Oh just opened the door to the dungeon (my hour is up!) Turn off the game!

I worry will this OMG! load s**t! Come to handhelds? PSP loaded stuff which I believe was its downfall vs. NIntendos handhelds I usually just jump right into the latest Pokemon or Fire Emblem or Mario and OFF I GO completing a level/mission/catch a Pokemon in the time it takes to load a console!! !!

I'M SICK OF IT!

Sadly YES I love video games and want to see what GTA 6 in the future can bring us with V Los Santos is HUGE! But with that will probably come TONS of loading time more than the 10 or so minutes JUST TO LOAD to GTA V GAMEPLAY! SHEESH!

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2014, 7:21 pm

I don't play too many modern computer/video games today, I mostly stick with the old NES and SNES systems. If I did play any modern games, I would definitely be frustrated by this too. Sounds very annoying.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2014, 7:24 pm

The PC arguement really does apply here.

Really, it was inevitable. Before consoles had started doing this, there were alot of PC games that had already reached the size of "downright monstrous", particularly MMOs, which consoles had never equaled. They just didnt MAKE console games that huge, because there wasnt even remotely near enough space to do so.

And those unusually huge PC games tended to need more changes and updates than anything else. My first MMO was Everquest, waaaaayyyyyyy back when, and.... yeah, that's when I was introduced to patching and updates. This was back when a certain expansion had come out in.... *looks up date* holy freaking heck, this was back near 2000, maybe a year afterwards, good grief. Has it really been that long? Yeesh. But that game was, for that time, downright gigantic in terms of sheer size and amount of content. Subsequent games in that genre and in others started getting even bigger too. With hard drives being the norm, devs could afford to do this.

These were BIG games, and it was easy to leave bugs and things in them.... and of course, there were expansions to sell. Get someone hooked on a game, well, may as well sell them more of that game! That trend got going quickly (and it was alot better than today's DLC, I tell ya). So the frequency of updates and changes started rising.

These days, consoles have the space now, so there need be no real differences in size between games on there and on PC..... and of course, the whole DLC trend went bonkers, and considering these two things.... yeah, it's hit the consoles entirely. Better get used to it (and to installations) as it's likely to not go away.

And yeah, I know, it's irritating. Honestly, I'm used to it, but... I can see how it's frustrating to someone that isnt. There have been days when I'll buy something, right, but I do so kinda late in the day, and I'll figure "Well, I'll get it installing now, patch it, and it'll be ready for tomorrow" because I know it'll take a couple of HOURS to do so. And that's on a hyper-fast connection like mine. I havent heard of any multi-hour installation/patches of doom on consoles yet, but they'll come, I'm sure. Worst I've ever seen was Everquest 2 and it's "download for a couple of days" patching. I wish I was making that up. THAT aint gonna happen on consoles right now though. It'd irritate the players waaaayyyyyyyyy too much.

But yeah, it's one of those things where there's not too much point in getting irked over it, because it's not going away. Eventually yes, it may hit the handhelds. It's already prevalent on iOS (which for me has replaced the handhelds) and probably Android). Just consider it when it's time to set up a new game.... realize beforehand that you may have a big download/install/patch to do, and plan for it.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 6:56 am

I think for it to hit handhelds and do it WELL it would have to do it in sleep mode you pop in the new Mario play it or Pokemon and fine but then it connects to your ID information and knows HEY you OWN Pokemon and Mario so when it's in sleep mode (while you are asleep overnight) It would download the updates ready to go tomorrow to start right back where you were no update issues since it did them last night while you were sleeping.

I think it can be done ok of sorts. MGS 4 and GTA V have pictures and say comments such as how to use X attack etc. while it's loading. Watch Dogs is just a bar and the fact I had to install PS3 update THEN LOAD the GAME onto the HDD was ANNOYING! I'll see how PS4/Wii U is but I do agree it's here to stay sadly.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 3:40 pm

Well, you can always disconnect your LAN cable. 8)

I have no broadband at home, but I can't say I dislike game updates. If there's a glitch or bug in the game, I'd like them to fix it for free rather than spoil my gaming experience with a bug.

Biggest gripe is if a "fix" gets undone by another update...meaning you can't play the game right until you get back online so it can re-apply the "fix" when you go to play the game again.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 6:00 pm

Right now I have...

A game which will take forever to update and play, because it has a 650 Mb update in the pipeline.
It's a DLC game, so I cant play it offline.
And, I have a slow broadband connection.
:-p so pfffsh I have other games which I can prioritise, if that's the arrangement.

and

a 3DS which refuses to go online any more, because it has a system update to do as soon as I put it online ... and whenever I try to do the system update it conks out with a server error halfway through.

I think Battlefield 3 was wanting a 700 Mb update before multiplayer would work, but I can play the single player mission offline.... or could play that while the update is downloading.

I don't see why XBL has to do so many updates for every single game ever... because as far as I (or anyone else) can see, 99% of them seem to do absolutely bugger all. Most of them are short at least (like 10 Mb in size and stuff) but it's just annoying really.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 7:22 pm

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
Right now I have...

A game which will take forever to update and play, because it has a 650 Mb update in the pipeline.
It's a DLC game, so I cant play it offline.
And, I have a slow broadband connection.
:-p so pfffsh I have other games which I can prioritise, if that's the arrangement.

and

a 3DS which refuses to go online any more, because it has a system update to do as soon as I put it online ... and whenever I try to do the system update it conks out with a server error halfway through.

I think Battlefield 3 was wanting a 700 Mb update before multiplayer would work, but I can play the single player mission offline.... or could play that while the update is downloading.

I don't see why XBL has to do so many updates for every single game ever... because as far as I (or anyone else) can see, 99% of them seem to do absolutely bugger all. Most of them are short at least (like 10 Mb in size and stuff) but it's just annoying really.

The short ones are almost definitely bug-fixes.

Expect those to get WAY more common as time goes on as well. For everything.

Be glad that they are there though. It's good to NOT have bugs in games and such.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 8:08 pm

I'm not convinced that they're even bug fixes.
I think it might be that most of them are simply patches to keep the games compatible with Xbox Live, or something not very obvious like that.

Because even the most ancient of games (which have no known bugs, and anyway have been obsolete for years, for example Katamari Damacy) will throw out updates, if they're not used for a little while.

Or maybe, they're patches to close security holes because people are pirating the games ?
At any rate, there's no discernible change most of the time.
:-p oh, well.

I do wish they would release a few more damn bug fixes for Skyrim though.
At least for the game-breaking (or near game breaking) bugs which EVERYone hates !

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 8:17 pm

Eh, pretty much the same thing. Compatibility patches work in pretty much the same way.

Anti-piracy though, hmm, honestly I'd be kinda surprised if it's that, at least as the consoles go.

As for Skyrim though.... yeah, dont get your hopes up on that one. The team at Bethesda are the MASTERS of bugs. They're known for it. It's one reason why I *never* bought any of their games on the consoles.... on PC at least mods can undo the glitches that lazy Bethesda never fixes.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 9:42 pm

Misery wrote:
As for Skyrim though.... yeah, dont get your hopes up on that one. The team at Bethesda are the MASTERS of bugs. They're known for it. It's one reason why I *never* bought any of their games on the consoles.... on PC at least mods can undo the glitches that lazy Bethesda never fixes.
Well that is your opinion but I play all my Bethseda games on console and they are very playable, and good to see that a PC elitist pretty much attacks consoles while admitting to actually have no experience with the console game.

Well updates cam take a while, but they can remove game breaking bugs, like Batman Origins would have totally fallen apart without any updates. I really don't mind having some updates in games, I just go do something in the mean time

Don't know why the Xbox One and PS4 have to do the installation before you can even play the game, it could be a piracy measure that they plan to put into action.

And as for the Zelda Wii U thing, I don't think it will be as much an issue, it can take a minute and maybe a bit to load up the map and DLC for Skyrim and I have a feeling Hyrule won't be made to the size of Skyrim.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 10:38 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Misery wrote:
Well that is your opinion but I play all my Bethseda games on console and they are very playable, and good to see that a PC elitist pretty much attacks consoles while admitting to actually have no experience with the console game.

Well updates cam take a while, but they can remove game breaking bugs, like Batman Origins would have totally fallen apart without any updates. I really don't mind having some updates in games, I just go do something in the mean time

Don't know why the Xbox One and PS4 have to do the installation before you can even play the game, it could be a piracy measure that they plan to put into action.

And as for the Zelda Wii U thing, I don't think it will be as much an issue, it can take a minute and maybe a bit to load up the map and DLC for Skyrim and I have a feeling Hyrule won't be made to the size of Skyrim.

reading off the hard drive is faster then reading off the blue ray drive. thats why they did it. same reason I and others intalled 360 games.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 11:42 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Misery wrote:

*sigh*

Yet another person makes a really idiotic assumption without knowing much about the person they speak to. Might wanna NOT do that. It's kinda bloody stupid.

How do I know of the bugs on the console version? Because a certain friend of mine plays it absolutely to freaking death, and I often watch (and he often watches me play other games; hilarity, banter, and jokes occur both ways, so it's fun) and SEE THE DAMN THINGS. When they happen in one of Bethesda's games, they're REALLY OBVIOUS. And when someone puts hundreds of hours into a game like that, yeah, they're going to find them. He likes to point them out to me, because we both get quite a laugh out of them. Bugs in "sandbox" games are EXTREMELY common regardless of platform, and they're often hilarious.

That assumption? Incorrect. Dont do it again. It's rude and irritating, and I typically START OUT angry as my default mood; one of the many reasons I call myself "Misery". I dont need more of it.

PC elitist my ass. Quite frankly, I dont give a damn what others here think. Both sides have advantages, and disadvantages: Skyrim, for example. You can get REALLY SUPER DRAMATICALLY more content via mods, which is why I always suggest the other version. PCs though? The damn things are batshit insane, and their main hobby seems to be going berserk and breaking down. And they find CREATIVE ways to do it. I once had one BURN it's own video card. The damn thing was blackened a bit once I got it out. Ever seen a console do that? Probably not. The horrid things drive me up the wall, and I've got a VERY short fuse. I've beaten the funky crap outta more than one of the accursed demon machines due to the sheer anger they can cause.

I know full well the advantages of each side. The PC is my *choice* because of the larger selection of games overall (I buy games very, very frequently. Like, every few days or so), and while I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate having to fix the bloody things ALL THE FREAKING TIME, I'm willing to put up with it as I've been using PCs since I was a little kid, and know alot about them, and as such can at least fix them QUICKLY. The consoles, on the other hand, dont really require this.

ANOTHER downside to the PCs though is that while I can fix mine quickly, I also have to fix everyone else's damn machines, because nobody around here knows how to deal with them. People pay big money to buy the stupid things, yet NEVER LEARN how to really use them.

That enough anti-elitist stuff for you? It's against my personality to stick too much to one side, as I tend to hate most things by default. And even those things I DO actually like, there's always still dislike mixed in. Minecraft for example is my favorite game, period, but I could do a 5 page rant on what I think is wrong with it. It would not be a happy rant full of flowers and bunnies.

The reason I tend to ramble about the PCs is the reason why ALOT of people here can talk alot about certain subjects, and aspects of those subjects: Because it's the main part of my core interest, and is the easiest thing for me to talk about. And this forum is great for letting me do that and get it out of my system a bit, as I do not do that in person with friends; despite that they're all gamers, it's very rare that I discuss gaming with them, as they're into very different genres and such than what I am (with certain rare exceptions, like Titanfall recently).

And I will say, I'm getting tired of that "PC MASTER RACE LOLOLOLOLOL" crap that's been going on recently. The sort that think PCs have NO disadvantages (whereas I could seriously keep up a complaint rant about the things for HOURS) and will tell other people that they outright suck for liking consoles. Damn rude, and it gives other PC-gaming fans a bad name. I have to resist screaming at them every freaking time. Granted, I'm sure some of them are just doing it to troll people, but still. There's too much of that brand of stupid going around.

EDIT: THough I do apologize if this post seems a bit overly angry, or at least more angry than my usual posts. Like I said, short fuse. Damn near anything can set me off.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 1:30 am

The way I see it, even though patches and updates can be annoying, at the same time they help to combat aimbotters and other cheaters.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 1:48 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
The way I see it, even though patches and updates can be annoying, at the same time they help to combat aimbotters and other cheaters.

Yep.

Though, for the consoles I dont THINK cheating is nearly as common, or so I hear. Wheras on PC.... yeah, it can be quite an issue. And it really sucks ALOT to lose to someone that's doing that sort of crap. Anti-cheat systems are very definitely not perfect and vary greatly from one game to the next.

Really depends on the game though. Titanfall is already seeing some, whereas I dont think I've ever seen something like that in World of Tanks.

Though, nothing tops the accursed gold spammer bots in MMOs. I hate those so much. They can ruin the entire experience when there's enough of the damn things. At least in your typical competetive game you can just go into another match, and bam, probably cheater-free.... you cant do that in an MMO that's plagued with the horrid thing.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 2:52 am

Sorry Misery, I was likely over offensive, but it is just that I am seeing way too many comments lately about the "master race" thing, and I thought you were coming off as one too. Just feels like every gaming related thing I read lately (YouTube comments are the worst) where consoles are getting unfairly criticised that it has made me feel a bit upset.

As it is, I have spent over 665 hours on Skyrim on Xbox 360 version, spread among some 17 different characters, my latest save of it being 3171. And people acting like it is a buggy mess that is unfulfilling without mods is going to make me angry as I know about this game is good.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 5:04 am

On one hand, I think it's stupid that devs use console updates as an excuse to release unfinished games and patch them later...on the other hand, in the good old days, every so often a good game (or not so good game) would get released with game-breaking bugs, and that was that. You either couldn't beat the game, or maybe you could use a cheat device to get past it, or maybe there was a way you could get around the glitch.

Turok Rage Wars for the N64 had an offer to trade in your copy of the cart for a fixed one, but I never took advantage of it...I probably should have =/

zeldapsychology wrote:
I think for it to hit handhelds and do it WELL it would have to do it in sleep mode you pop in the new Mario play it or Pokemon and fine but then it connects to your ID information and knows HEY you OWN Pokemon and Mario so when it's in sleep mode (while you are asleep overnight)...

You do know the 3DS supports game updates, right? It can do it in sleep mode, since you have to download the update through the eShop, but it doesn't start downloading it automatically for you.