Can somebody please help me understand this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 2:38 am

After reading "The Complete guide to Asperger's Syndrome" and doing *much* research on Autism and AS last year I took this test and the following were my results:
[img][800:799]http://i.imgur.com/VPEruVD.png[/img]
However I'm unsure exactly what the numbers translate to

For the record
I also got an official diagnoses late last year the person used ADOS-2 module 4 and SRS-2 test (one was completed by me and another from another family member)

And yes based on the results of the tests I met the criteria for an ASD diagnoses. Now, I know that thanks to the changes in the DSM Aspergers is now under the ASD umbrella so going on the scoring of the picture above would it be positive that if AS were it's own disorder that I would have been diagnosed as having AS vs Autism?

Thanks

Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 4:28 am

I don't know if you can label someone just based off a silly test on the internet..

But if you already have an offical diagnosis that should serve as a lot better information about yourself.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 5:11 am

I don't understand why it would matter? But I also think that a psychologist, or anyone, looking at a person in the present cannot definitively say whether the person has Aspergers or autism. The average may appear different. But they aren't necessarily distinguishable in the present as far as I know a I the current knowledge base.

Someone labeled as having Aspergers may have autism, someone labeled as having autism may have Aspergers though it's more common that people with autism develop to where they are relabeled having aspergers. I don't agree with this practice but it's what happens.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 5:35 am

only real difference that I know of between Asperegrs and classic autism is delayed speech development and or intellectual disability. So if you learned to talk on time and you were responsive, then you'd always have been diagnosed with Aspergers. Like when I was 5 I was 99% nonverbal with "no" and "mine" being the limit of my vocabulary and if a family member said "Hi how are you?" I would've been totally non-responsive to that. These days since I'm moderate/hfa, there are plenty of aspies who are "just as autistic" as I am.

My recent Aspie Score result was:
Your Aspie score: 186 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 15 of 200

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 5:59 am

From my understanding is if one were non verbal or speech delayed as a child then Aspergers is ruled out (as you pointed out EzraS tho questions arise if there's other issues such as hearing difficulties. Much like you EzraS I was pretty much non verbal tho was that because I had hearing issues? (still do) I dunno

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 6:13 am

JoelFan wrote:
From my understanding is if one were non verbal or speech delayed as a child then Aspergers is ruled out (as you pointed out EzraS tho questions arise if there's other issues such as hearing difficulties. Much like you EzraS I was pretty much non verbal tho was that because I had hearing issues? (still do) I dunno

On paper that's how it's supposed to be. But a lot of evaluators seem to feel they need to diagnose by who they see in front of them.

I still haven't adjusted to reading that Temple Grandin was reassessed and diagnosed with Aspergers not autism. This is really confusing to me. But it seems to happen a lot that nonverbal, classically autistic children are rediagnosed with Aspergers to mark their progress.

Since I don't see where one is better than the other it's just confusing as it doesn't seem like this makes sense. If someone understands better than I, please explain!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 11:12 am

I wouldn't be all that surprised if I was re diagnosed today as Aspergers. But I still have pretty bad dysparaxia etc, so there's a lot of impairments going on. I will say with the school for mostly ASD kids I went to, I don't think it would have made any difference in how I was educated and handled if I had an Aspaerger's dx. I have no idea which kids were classic and which were aspies, except for maybe the very high functioning and the severely low functioning. I don't even remember hearing terms like that until last year. It's all just autism to me. I was just PMed by a diagnosed aspie on one my teen forums, because he saw Wrong Planet in my sig. He said he's never really talked to anyone in the forum about it before. The stuff he listed was the same as what I experience.

Quote:
While the anxiety problem is less severe now, it's still a struggle. Other issues that are still problems these days include things like recurrent depression, sensitivity to noise and touch, basic motor control difficulties, mild trouble with speech, some trouble with short-term memory in certain circumstances, trouble understanding many social norms and faux pas, trouble understanding facial expressions and body language that would be obvious to NTs, unusually severe reaction to disappointments, interest in certain broad subjects become very intense for a few weeks/months but then rapidly disappear and become uninteresting.

I mean that's just autism to me. The same kind of stuff I deal with. I don't really see why there needs to be any kind of a division. I think that's old school thinking, where they had too narrow a view of what autism meant, so they came up with calling it Aspergers. I think Autism Spectrum Disorder is the only valid term. I'm ASD, The guy quoted above me is ASD, JoelFan is ASD.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 12:55 pm

JoelFan wrote:
After reading "The Complete guide to Asperger's Syndrome" and doing *much* research on Autism and AS last year I took this test and the following were my results:
[img][800:799]http://i.imgur.com/VPEruVD.png[/img]
However I'm unsure exactly what the numbers translate to

For the record
I also got an official diagnoses late last year the person used ADOS-2 module 4 and SRS-2 test (one was completed by me and another from another family member)

And yes based on the results of the tests I met the criteria for an ASD diagnoses. Now, I know that thanks to the changes in the DSM Aspergers is now under the ASD umbrella so going on the scoring of the picture above would it be positive that if AS were it's own disorder that I would have been diagnosed as having AS vs Autism?

Thanks

What it means is that its a dumb internet test.

I took the same test more than once and I always get around 100/200 each for aspergers and neurotypical with the conclusion that "you have both NT and aspie traits". But a couple of years ago I was officially diagnosed with aspergers.

You're apparently fixated not on aspergers vs nt, but aspergers vs autism. The test would have the same degree of accuracy with that question. Not much.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 11:00 am

I see it as a fun thing to do but I wouldn't put too much stock in it's ability to determine if you're Aspie or not.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.