military vets talking about their military experience

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 3:10 pm

As an aspie, I tend to struggle when socializing. However, I find it most annoying when I find my self in the middle of a bunch of young military vets talking and boasting their experiences when they were in the army, airforce, navey, or marines. I do have respect for people in or who were in the military, however, it gets annoying when a group discussion leads to a discussion about their interesting experiences in service and I can't say anything because I've never joined, nor plan on joining. Anyone else experienced this and get somewhat annoyed by it?

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Jun 2014, 8:39 pm

What environment do you end up around a group of military veterans?

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 9:56 pm

I live in SC -a lot of people are in the military there being there's an airforce and navel base there.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 11:13 pm

Most veterans I know do not enjoy talking about their experiences in the military, even with family, let alone boasting about what they have done, especially as it relates to acts of killing. I would stay far away from any veteran who boasts about having killed people in wartime. That is not a healthy mind.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Jun 2014, 12:38 am

Yeah they sound like A-holes who want to brag for popularity & may believe that anyone who doesn't support them isn't a real American.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 12:45 am

If they are boasting about killing people with little grins and smirks like I have seen, I think it has to do with emotional trauma. Normal people dont boast about blood and gore. All kidding aside, vets who behave like this need to be in therapy. I think they could be dangerous. How many of these vets do you know who drive around with multiple weapons in their vehicle? Every vet I know who boasts about the gore of war, drives around with a personal armory in their vehicle. They are usually taking anti psychotic medications given to them by the VA along with pain killers. I would avoid these people and maybe tell someone about them.

Mongoose1
Raven
Raven

13 Mar 2016, 9:59 pm

Not all veterans are like that. I've had my rough times, sure. But I was able to do some constructive things as well while I was in uniform that helped a lot of people. Being involved in search and rescue operations during Hurricane Katrina was something good. There are a number of other examples I could give. But, veterans, like this group of Aspies and Autistics, are prone to share their experiences with each other. That's normal. Just like us sharing our experiences dealing with neurotypcals is normal. Bottom line.....get over it!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 10:16 pm

I actually enjoy listening to the stories of military vets of all ages. Than again, I'm a very strange person.