Why is that when i interact with some people i knew they AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 5:51 pm

Why is that when i interact with some peoplei first time i'm almost knew they that they had AS, while i knew some aspies for not look like typical aspie at all.

For example, my colleagues in the group therapy for people with Asperger's, one looks like a typical AS highly intelligent but with the appearance of a typical nerd, the other well-read and very intelligent, but no one could have thought that he is autistic, easily establish connections with others, and quite talkative :-)

Similar at my university, I think that one or even two of my classmates have Asperger's, very good to me talking to them a lot better than with other colleagues, but I do not talk to them about autism, because I'm afraid that they might feel offended when I suspect them about having autism.

Similarly, my neighbor in my apartment block , my friend's nephew 13 years old, I'm pretty sure that he has autism, is an introvert has a problem with eye contact, a stutter, and has the appearance of a typical nerd, glasses, no trendy clothes etc (I know i'm stereotyping :D ) for variety, his older looks for ADHD age 19, loves fast motorbikes, I often seen as driving on the road in our neighborhood on his motorcycle a lot faster than allowed by the Polish law and City of Wroclaw local ordinance :)
Sometimes I thought to say to my friend who is his uncle, to tell the boy to ride more safely, it would be sad if something happened to that kid, because he is quite sympathetic guy , but a little crazy about of cars and motorcycles :D

Question: could you could detect other aspes based on first impressions and indicate people who in your opinion may have Asperger's syndrome?

Al725
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2014, 1:40 am

Yes. For the simple reason that it takes one to know one. One of my son's friend's dad clearly is on the spectrum. I could tell imeadiately. I got to know him and felt really comfertable talking with him. It's funny how we don't even say hi or bye or, how we should do something later. It's obvious we both know these NT rituals are pointless.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 9:41 am

Some are easier to pick out than others. Some aspies can be quite good chameleons - my psychologist told me I cover my autism well. I can tell you however that people who've spent any amount of time around me get how "different" I am - they've told me as much.

As for physical looks - people with ASD can look just like anyone else in my opinion.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 3:32 pm

Ok. but what do you think about ADHDs i think the oldest nephew of my friend obviusly had it due his dangerous and risky motocycle driving skills :D
But generally he is good neigrobhor.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 3:47 pm

I can't always tell, especially in females if it's mild enough. I talk to a woman on the bus sometimes, and I keep wondering if she lies somewhere on the mild end of the Autism spectrum. Sometimes I feel she doesn't, and other times I think ''yes, that's very Aspie'', and she's the only female I think this about, so it's not just me imagining things. I don't like to just ask her outright, in case she might be private about it (like I am myself), or might not even know she has it herself (might of never got diagnosed or even heard about it). A lot of people know her, and they tell me that she is ''hard work'' and ''can have her moments'' and ''withdraws a lot''. OK those things don't necessarily mean Asperger's but even when I talk to her I notice there's some sort of awkwardness or oddities in her characteristics what I can't quite explain. She seems pretty loud and chatty, but not all Aspies are quiet, shy introverts like me. Although she is chatty and a lot of people seem to know her and know her name, there is still a bit of social awkwardness there. She can't seem to keep in a marriage for long, and prefers to spend time alone away from everybody, like at Christmas, even though she is close to her daughter and young grandchildren. Somebody has said that she makes things up sometimes and believes her own made-up stories, just so she can feel like her life is different to what it really is and can feel happier in herself. Again, I'm not saying all of that means Asperger's, it could be anything or nothing, but just when I talk to her I feel there is something not quite right. She does seem a bit naive a lot too, even though at the same time she seems bright and independant too. She is an interesting person and I would like to get to know her more, but I don't think she likes making friends outside of her personal life. She has mentioned before that she prefers to stick to her family and some close friends she's known for years. She's also pointed out that the people she is friends with are very, very clever.