Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 9:31 am

My problem with atheism is not atheism itself; it's that people don't understand what it actually is. Atheism is simply the belief in no gods. That's it.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 10:35 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
In one short phrase, this is it: "no eternal hope".

So what?

Quote:
By definition, atheism is a philosophy which rejects all possibility of the supernatural (literally, "outside nature").

Nope, by definition, atheists "withhold belief both in favor and against the supernatural, untill conclusive evidence is provided"
Quote:
If they can't see, hear, taste, touch, or feel it emotionally, most atheists refuse to believe it exists.

The broader term is "sceptic", but generally correct.
This does mean that we can believe that is exists, once we can see it.
Refuse to believe =/= belief that it doesn't

Quote:
For example, does love or justice have a chemical formula?

Yes; love is a cocktail of hormones, and justice is a derivative of happiness over fairness
Quote:
Can we find a recipe for fairness or equality in the soil?

Not in the soil, but we can make one, sure
Quote:
Are our own thoughts just the result of unguided chaos flowing through gray matter in our heads?

No... they are the result of guided processes

Quote:
My overall point is this: from a purely human-based, naturalistic standpoint, atheists have no source for justice or love beyond this life.

No such thing is needed; As far as the sceptic/atheist is concerned, there is no "beyond this life".

Quote:
Their only claim is that hundreds or thousands of years from now, mankind's inner nature will somehow get better on its own...

Atheists make no such claim; they make no claim at all

Quote:
I am a Christian, first and foremost, because seeking God gives me hope that a much better existence waits for me after this unjust, fallen, often-cruel one ends.

Good for you; but irrelevant to others

Quote:
Of all religious leaders, only Jesus willingly surrendered His own life in exchange for mine.

Yet he was resurrected 3 days later: not much of a sacrifice (assuming it happened at all)

Quote:
I don't know what the purpose of my life is without Him, and nature can't explain why temporary survival's not enough.

You make your own purpose, you can do that since there is no set plan for you.
Temporary survival (specifically: untill your offspring can survive without your help) is all that nature dictates, everything else is added by the human need for fulfillment.

schopenhauer with a keyboard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2016, 3:25 pm

so it's an emotional rather than philosophical objection?
you're basically admitting that you're engaging in wishful thinking in that case.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 7:11 pm

schopenhauer with a keyboard wrote:
you're basically admitting that you're engaging in wishful thinking in that case.

I don't think you understand what "emotional" means. Just because someone says something that goes against your materialist sentiments doesn't mean it's "emotional".

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

schopenhauer with a keyboard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2016, 7:34 pm

Ganondox wrote:
schopenhauer with a keyboard wrote:

I don't think you understand what "emotional" means. Just because someone says something that goes against your materialist sentiments doesn't mean it's "emotional".

'In one short phrase, this is it: "no eternal hope".'

if that's not an emotional reason for 'belief' i don't know what is LOL. does that sound like a logic-based case against a philosophical position to you? no, it's something he finds depressive about the prospect there being no god.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 7:41 pm

Does one feel depressed because if being deprived or
A. Chemical imbalances
B. Sense of entitlement.
C. Other 8)
D. None of the above