Page 272 of 291 [ 4650 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275 ... 291  Next

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 9:44 pm

people repeatedly comment on how you never smile.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 11:51 pm

...you wish your RAADS-R score was your I.Q..

spacedog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2017, 12:34 am

You Might be an Aspie if... you are almost 50 and your 2 favorite things are dried mangos and frozen twizzlers

everytime you listen to your favorite songs a new movie plays instantly in your head

your favorite resteraunts have a menu online for which you are grateful so you know what to order when you get there

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 7:16 pm

yet again, you wish there was a database where you can easily find what you should say and do for every possible situation.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 9:36 am

...you laugh when people say they binge-watched a show and they only watched four episodes, because when you binge-watch a show, you watch a season and a half in a weekend.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 3:54 pm

For you, morning starts at noon, while evening starts at midnight.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 5:32 pm

You use the term "neurotypical" or its abbreviation NT a lot.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 11:47 pm

Once, my class was studying various neurological conditions, and I was working on another class’s work. The teacher saw that, and she knew I didn’t read the assigned textbook pages, so she called on me to elaborate on hydrocephalus. Well, that was my obsession at the time, so my answer included all the information about it in the textbook section and much more. :D

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 9:11 am

Forgive me for being serious for a moment, but some of you might remember the Chandler &Macleod on line test? I can't give you any numbers, but the vast majority of diagnosed aspies posted results that contained both the Autistic (now Artist) component and the Epiletoid (now Engineer). There were many variations, like NAE, ADE etc. (and, stragely, a significant minority of Paranoid Epileptoid, given how different are the Autistic and Paranoid aspects...):

The AE style person is easily distinguished by their commitment to technical accuracy and their complete absorption in their work. They are project-minded people, eager to ensure that all the details are in place. Completing a task to perfection is often more important to them than working within deadlines and, in their enthusiasm for perfecting specifics, they can find it difficult to formulate broader plans. Their focus on technical perfection can make them a valuable asset to an organisation, providing an alternative perspective to more commercially expedient approaches, although their commitment to high quality results can mean that the time taken or the procedures followed must be carefully considered in light of economic realities. They are frequently idealistic, imaginative and creative in their thinking processes.

These people are stimulated by opportunities to employ their creative talents and are more likely to enjoy being the sole operator, rather than having to fit in with team requirements. They are non-antagonistic as far as other people are concerned, but have a little difficulty in including others in their thoughts and their activities. Because they like to "do their own thing", they can become quickly irritated by interference in their area of work. This irritation is usually clearly visible to those around them, particularly if changes of plan or changes in project requirements are thrust upon them. When they are subjected to situations that upset them they will tend to cope by burying themselves in their work and shutting out what is going on around them.

The work situation they like best is one where they are given the space to work to their own high standards, rather than feeling they are under externally imposed time pressures. They prefer not to be disturbed or pulled away to attend to requests from others. Colleagues can sometimes find their preference for working alone difficult to understand and it could therefore at times be important for the AE style of person to consciously set aside times to interact with colleagues, to ensure that they do not convey the impression that they are antisocial or even hostile. They could also find it helpful to explain to colleagues that when they are engrossed in their work, they see attempts by others at social interaction more as irritants than as friendly gestures and, when they are placed under pressure, they are likely to avoid social situations, often coming across as aloof or irritable without meaning to.

They enjoy a work situation where they have the opportunity to work on finite projects, where outcomes are tangible and their own responsibilities are personally challenging but clearly defined. It is very important (for their enjoyment of their work and their ability to give of their best) for project requirements and realistic time frames to be agreed upon at the outset. They appreciate managers who are considerate and respectful of their skills, who recognise their excellent intentions and commitment to quality, who trust them in their work and show quiet recognition and appreciation of their efforts and accomplishments.

They generally view their social life as their own business, and do not appreciate being pressured by invitations to "join in", much preferring to generate friendships over time with people of a similar nature. For them, comfortable friendships often develop slowly over shared involvement in mutually interesting projects.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 9:16 am

Some of those terms on that test sound insulting and pejorative, especially Paranoid Epileptoid. The suffix -oid reminds me of an antique term for some with Down syndrome. I don't like it.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 9:20 am

You Might be an Aspie if...

you have déjà vu reading posts ( or you notice the repetitive nature of some posters )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 6:52 am

You do research on Asperger syndrome and disability issues in whatever country you happen to be interested in at the moment.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 6:42 pm

You can't spot when someone is mirroring you.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 2:42 pm

... someone else is watching some sci-fi thing on TV and you’re only half paying attention, and you aren’t sure whether the characters are speaking an alien language, or if your auditory processing is just that bad at the moment :lol:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 6:14 pm

The sound of babies and small children crying or shouting in stores makes you lose focus and you just don't have the filters in your brain to filter them out

You want to talk nonstop about your pet rats because they're just so interesting and adorable

You complimented someone's selfie on Facebook but you worry that you might have put too much niceness into the compliment that it might have made you sound stupid or even sarcastic

Seeing other young autistic people having a group of conformist neurotypical friends their age makes you wonder how the f**k they do it

You check WP several times a day for any new threads, posts or replies to your posts

You scroll through Facebook getting jealous of other people for being NTs but at the same time you'd feel lost if you deactivated your Facebook account

You overthink things, for example you could spend years trying to figure out why a person you haven't seen since 2004 won't accept your friend request on Facebook but is Facebook friends with everyone else you both know/knew, and it just eats you up inside

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 7:44 pm

You have posted to wrong planet over 25,000 times.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman