Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 6:52 pm

I recently bought Office 365 for students, I'm so happy that finally I was able to activate the son of a b***h, that is about all the programs including the latest versions of Access, I just wonder how can I use it in my thesis.

I had one semester at the undergraduate, everyone had to do relational bibliographic database on a chosen topic, I chose the Air Force during World War II.

I for my database, I got 4 (B in American and British grading system)

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 7:06 pm

store data in relational databases
write your own computer programs
create your own reports that generate from your databases
import data from other sources and/or export to other sources (e.g., Excel to Access or Access to Excel)

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 10:13 pm

Flush Office 365 down the toilet. I have Office 2010 on the Windows 7 partition on my Mac mini, which I was required to have as part of a Ticket To Work Scam that has yet to deliver on its promises. Office 2010 is damn near unusable. The interface makes it extremely difficult to do any work. I was better off doing spreadsheets in VisiCalc on an Apple 2 or Lotus 1-2-3 on a PC. At least their interfaces, crude as they were, didn't get in my way. Ditto for WordStar, as well as AppleWriter. I never had to do much database work, but dBase III was a lot easier to grasp than Access.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 10:55 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
I recently bought ... the latest versions of Access, I just wonder how can I use it in my thesis.

Well, that would depend on the subject and topic of your thesis.

I did a thesis in an Arts degree and a database would have been completely irrelevant, other than for bibliographic purposes.

If you were doing some kind of quantitative study in the social or natural sciences, then a dabatase could hold your data.

If you are studying computer science, then a database could be the backend of an application that you present in your thesis.

It all really depends on what you are writing about.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2014, 2:37 am

Well my task is to analyze a series of four national (Polish) conference "Information management in science"

I have done an analysis of presented papers, and authoring environment