Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What should we do with psychopaths?
Mandatory birth brain scans to identify and track them 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
High security units 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Termination (pre or ante natal) 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Sterilisation 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Ban them from any position involving the vulnerable or political power 25%  25%  [ 10 ]
Leave them to their own devicees 53%  53%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 40

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 10:25 pm

Misslizard wrote:
If we terminated them who would be left to run the goverment?

Not to worry, we just elected one to the White House, and he's bringing all his psycho friends into his cabinet.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 12:45 am

Is there no "other" option? The solution is to identify them while they are young and raise them well, teach them a strong sense of honor and build up relationships with them. That's what has been shown to be the most effective way for dealing with psychopathy.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 12:54 am

Ganondox wrote:
Is there no "other" option? The solution is to identify them while they are young and raise them well, teach them a strong sense of honor and build up relationships with them. That's what has been shown to be the most effective way for dealing with psychopathy.

Chances are, they'd take advantage of us, and either leave us broke, and/or dead.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 1:03 am

Janissy wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:
I suppose we could try to set them on a path where they could use their lack of emotion for personal success.

Take surgeons for example. Surgeons could have a competitive edge if they don't have emotions getting in the way.

I guess the key is to give them avenues to use their differences for personal success (after all they are selfish, right?)

I don't think brain scans are accurate enough at this point anyway (?)

You are right about surgeons. There's this:

http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2012/11/profe ... ychopaths/

Quote:
1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. Media (Television/Radio)
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police officer
8. Clergy person
9. Chef
10. Civil servant

And for those looking to potentially avoid working with the least number of psychopaths, here?s the list of occupations with the lowest rates of psychopathy:

1. Care aide
2. Nurse
3. Therapist
4. Craftsperson
5. Beautician/Stylist
6. Charity worker
7. Teacher
8. Creative artist
9. Doctor
10. Accountant

The lowest rate of psychopathy list is almost half made up of health care workers: care aid, nurse, therapist, doctor. Health care is populated by non-psychopaths with one exception: surgeons. There they are in the list of professions that psychopaths gravitate to. And it makes sense. Being a surgeon is probably the most pro-social job that exists for a psychopath. The lack of emotional connection is a positive and as a bonus they get to cut people up just like an axe murderer so long as they sew them back together again.

It's also interesting that "clergy person" is in the "most psychopathic" list whereas those people really should be on the "least psychopathic" list if all was right with the world. A psychopathic surgeon is a net positive (ruthlessly cutting out cancerous tumors). But a psychopathic clergyman just seems more wrong. It's good to see that accountants and teachers aren't that psychopathic though. And it's fine with me if chefs are psychopaths. Gordon Ramsay sure seems like one. But maybe it's not fine with the prep cooks.

Funny how accurate the stereotypes are. Only things I found to be a real surprise were chef and beautician (though dentist would be more stereotypical than surgeon). Anyway, the only occupations in the list where being a sociopath actually has pro-social advantages is surgeon, lawyer, and maybe journalist, as long as they don't have an agenda. I don't think it hurts to much to have a chef as a psychopath either, as long as they aren't going to poison anyone.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 1:07 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Chances are, they'd take advantage of us, and either leave us broke, and/or dead.

I'm talking about children here, they're not going to do that. I'm not talking about something hypothetical, this is something that has been shown to work, at least with those who are higher functioning. It needs to be remembered that while anti-social personality disorder is often caused by a particular neurology, it is not the neurology itself, and many people with the neurology are actually extremely pro-social because they make themselves into hereos.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 1:35 am

Ganondox wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

I'm talking about children here, they're not going to do that. I'm not talking about something hypothetical, this is something that has been shown to work, at least with those who are higher functioning. It needs to be remembered that while anti-social personality disorder is often caused by a particular neurology, it is not the neurology itself, and many people with the neurology are actually extremely pro-social because they make themselves into hereos.

In that case, absolutely. Psychopaths might be born, but often they're made by horrible treatment in their home lives.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 3:46 am

Clearly what is required is a rethink of any ideology which promotes the idea of "white privilege" as it's obvious that the real problem is "psychopath privilege".

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 4:07 am

Ganondox wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

I am dealing with this. A child in the neighbourhood. If she was in her twenties, it would be hard to spot, but as she is very little, she can't act all the time. I worry about her home situation, but I don't have any real information. They keep to themselves. I deal with her by being nice, giving her positive experiences, so that she has something to lose by being nasty. Then I make boundaries and consequences. For now I can handle her. When she gets older I don't know.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 4:23 am

adifferentname wrote:
Clearly what is required is a rethink of any ideology which promotes the idea of "white privilege" as it's obvious that the real problem is "psychopath privilege".

It's clear from your statement that you fail or refuse to understand the term privilege, but everyone knew that anyway and it isn't the point of this thread.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 5:04 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

It's clear from your statement that you fail or refuse to understand the term privilege, but everyone knew that anyway and it isn't the point of this thread.

I like to tell you that I'm surprised that you didn't recognise an obvious joke, but I'd be lying.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 5:16 am

adifferentname wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

I like to tell you that I'm surprised that you didn't recognise an obvious joke, but I'd be lying.

If you don't understand the meaning of the words you are using, people will have a hard time with your jokes.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 5:30 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

If you don't understand the meaning of the words you are using, people will have a hard time with your jokes.

Remember, kids. If you use a word in a joke, that means you don't understand it.

:roll:

You're not very good at this insult lark. Have you considered something less taxing? Crochet perhaps?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 12:54 pm

What to do?

Don't let them distract you, keep your powder dry, and let them know that they won't distract you from questioning them.

Question them until they learn to expect it, and wish to avoid it.

This may take some time, and may never work in the sense that you want it to, but the effort will pay off.

It may seem cruel and a bit demeaning, and I'd feel bad about that if the questions weren't so important, but if you could have a real debate with a psychopath, he wouldn't be a psychopath.

Tomzy95
Raven
Raven

25 Jan 2017, 12:57 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I voted to leave them to their own devices. In our country and civilization, you don't punish people for what they may one day do. And where do you draw the line? If people with the potential to be psychopaths are either aborted, sterilized, or banned from certain professions, how soon will it be till that applies to people with the potential for mental illness? Or how long will it be till they decide they can prevent school shootings by applying the same rules to us Aspies?
I wish one of the options had been to offer childhood education and therapies for children who might one day show psychopathic personality types, as is done with autistic kids.

This

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 1:04 am

Tomzy95 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I voted to leave them to their own devices. In our country and civilization, you don't punish people for what they may one day do. And where do you draw the line? If people with the potential to be psychopaths are either aborted, sterilized, or banned from certain professions, how soon will it be till that applies to people with the potential for mental illness? Or how long will it be till they decide they can prevent school shootings by applying the same rules to us Aspies?
I wish one of the options had been to offer childhood education and therapies for children who might one day show psychopathic personality types, as is done with autistic kids.

This

Why thank you. :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 12:32 pm

We should keep on doing to psychopaths what we do to them now.

Elect them president!

Makes it easier to keep our eyes on them.

And we certainly did not deviate from that policy in this last election!