Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 6:31 am

Kurgan wrote:
I use a stripped down version (distributed and modified by my university) of Slackware that's modified for low-level programming. Almost no user-space content whatsoever (no GUI, no package manager that does anything for you, etc.), apart from the BASH shell, GCC, Nano, Vim, and the very basics. It would be extremely tedious to use for everyday purposes, but it's still neat to have a distro that does just one thing, but excels at it.

Slackware based distros are one of the few distros (together with Puppy Linux) that has acceptable performance when you boot them live.

You don't really need more than vim and gcc to have fun =D

Do you have possibilities for C++ / C++11 compilation?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 7:26 am

Yes. It has G++. :) I've also installed Go (Golang) in it.

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2014, 12:56 pm

Kurgan wrote:
You can use KDE or Cinnamon instead. If you don't care how it looks, but just wants something that's fast and stable, you can try Fluxbox (in terms of aesthetics, it looks like something from a camp 1990s sci-fi movie, though).

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. So far I'm happy with Xubuntu, and as a beginner, I don't want to fix something that ain't broke (Unity was definitely "broke"!).

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 2:40 pm

But fixing what's broken, breaking it more and then fixing it is a great way to learn! A bit frustrating and a little risky, but a lot of fun when everything is working. And you'll have learned a lot in the process.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 2:54 pm

That's where Slackware and Arch Linux come in handy. Toying with them won't break them just like that. :) Bare bones, no-frills distros are like Lego, and you can customize them to do anything that Ubuntu does (without all of the drawbacks)?but not vice versa.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 3:59 pm

Crunchbang and Zorin are pretty nice, and Linux Mint is decent enough as well. I also really like Puppy Linux, as it's super-lightweight and it can be used to run a full GUI with persistence off a USB drive.