Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 3:28 pm

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy ... ut-n127981

SSDI is the US disability benefit. Its reserves will run out in 2016, and then all recipients will have their checks cut by 20%. I myself am on SSDI, and I think I could handle it, but many couldn't.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 4:05 pm

They already cut my EBT card by over 50%. Can't catch a break.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 6:40 pm

SSDI will only go down if congress doesn't re-allocate. bug the heck out of your representative and senators.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 8:01 pm

I agree. Keep after your one representative and your two senators.

From the article, it's been re-allocated before between social security main program and SSDI, and shouldn't be that big a deal. But some risk of political brinksmanship.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 8:25 pm

I am preparing for it, plus I am anticipating a CDR at the end of 2015 so kinda stressed

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 8:48 pm

pezar wrote:
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/disabled-recipients-social-security-fund-face-hefty-benefits-cut-n127981

SSDI is the US disability benefit. Its reserves will run out in 2016, and then all recipients will have their checks cut by 20%. I myself am on SSDI, and I think I could handle it, but many couldn't.

Sadly this is not something that comes as a surprise. Since like 2008 there's been articles about how the SSI is set up to collapse by 2022. The cuts that are coming are just the start of the process.

Simply put, the imbeciles in congress dipped their hands into the SSI funds when they should not have to fund other projects.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 9:25 pm

I'm paying so I'd better collect when the time comes. :x
If that many people have been paying and find out that they won't collect, especially if they would have to rely on it, there could be catastrophic consequences. Why? Because it's just unwise to f**k with that many people over something like that when those people will have nothing to lose.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 10:28 am

just think all the money that got blown on the iraq war could of funded this for another 100 years

why not cut some of the do nothing military bases to make up the difference
wait that will never happen because it makes sense

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 10:30 am

Raptor wrote:
If that many people have been paying and find out that they won't collect, especially if they would have to rely on it, there could be catastrophic consequences. Why? Because it's just unwise to f**k with that many people over something like that when those people will have nothing to lose.

You're expecting to end up on disability? That aside I'd agree usually screwing with that many people as well as putting them in a position where they have nothing to lose is not very smart at all.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 1:34 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Raptor wrote:

You're expecting to end up on disability? That aside I'd agree usually screwing with that many people as well as putting them in a position where they have nothing to lose is not very smart at all.

:doh:
My bad; at a glance I thought it was about collecting retirement social security and there has been rumor about that not being available in the future. Still, thought, they shoudlnt be screwing with SSDI either.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 2:19 pm

Well there goes the pool I was going to put in with my massive benefit check. :P

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 2:26 pm

Raptor wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Raptor wrote:

My bad; at a glance I thought it was about collecting retirement social security and there has been rumor about that not being available in the future. Still, thought, they shoudlnt be screwing with SSDI either.

They actually probably should not screw with SSI either....why is it you think they should? :? It would result in the same problems you mentioned in your post I responded to desperate people with nothing to lose.....yes not good at all.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 2:38 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Raptor wrote:

My bad; at a glance I thought it was about collecting retirement social security and there has been rumor about that not being available in the future. Still, thought, they shouldnt be screwing with SSDI either.

They actually probably should not screw with SSI either, yet somehow I get the impression you think they should considering the bolded D you included in SSDI.

If so I am curious what you think ought to happen with people who's disability prevented them from holding employment long enough to pay into SSDI in the first place. As usual I do not expect an an actual response to that question since people who say this kind of thing never have a real response.

Duh. Why don't you go back and read what I actually said. I even went back bolded it for you. What part of "they shouldnt be screwing with SSDI either" was hard for you to comprehend?
:roll: :roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 2:51 pm

Raptor wrote:
Duh. Why don't you go back and read what I actually said. I even went back bolded it for you. What part of "they shouldnt be screwing with SSDI either" was hard for you to comprehend?
:roll: :roll:

You said they should not be screwing with SSDI, looked like you where specifying SSDI as in they shouldn't screw with that but its fine if they screw with SSI....they are both Disability so with that bolded underlined D that is how it came off. Still comes off that way after going back to look... But I am assuming I misunderstood?

Nothing about they should not mess with SSDI was hard to comprehend however.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 2:58 pm

Now you're going back and, in effect, re-writing every thing I've said in this thread.
Whatever, I'm not going to go back and forth on this all day......

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 4:33 pm

Raptor wrote:
Now you're going back and, in effect, re-writing every thing I've said in this thread.
Whatever, I'm not going to go back and forth on this all day......

Uhh no I just got confused about the bolded and capitalized D...thinking as I said it meant you thought they should mess with SSI disability but not SSDI disability, if that is not what you meant with that then I misunderstood, my bad it happens and then people move on or should anyways.