Page 28 of 30 [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Should Alex Ban Sexist Opinions from L&D?
Yes 39%  39%  [ 37 ]
No 45%  45%  [ 43 ]
Undecided 17%  17%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 96

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 9:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This is a fruitless argument, going nowhere fast.

Everybody has their positions staked out. Nobody will budge.

This is like World War I--except without the killing, fortunately.

The two sides are in their trenches...stalemated. Let's hope this doesn't turn into a permanent siege.

I believe we actually like each other--man or woman. If we were to meet in person, we'd probably like each other.

Our regard for each other is temporarily derailed by this Gender Discord.

I don't think WrongPlanet will ever been seen as being a sexist forum. I believe it will always be a place where people with ASD's will come.

There are sexists on this Forum; there are sexists everywhere. If anything blatantly sexist is posted, it must be looked into the moderators, and action taken.

Actually, through all this, I haven't seen anything remotely sexist being posted. I believe the message has been conveyed. People might have different takes on notions, which might be alleged to be sexist by those who are searching far and wide for sexism. But the "all women like jerks stuff" hasn't appeared.

Don't you agree?

I agree.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 1:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
This is a fruitless argument, going nowhere fast.

Everybody has their positions staked out. Nobody will budge.

I disagree, there is a large undecided crowd who is not actively posting, and that is the audience I stage my arguments for. I'd say I've been fairly successful too, pointing out contradictions, unsupported claims, hypocrisy, etc, all while advancing my own arguments for vigorous debate and a light hand from the mods.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 8:38 am

Dox, I would like to understand your position further. These are my questions. Are you against censorship no matter what the case is. If yes, then why? If no, what are your exceptions? Why do you have these exceptions and not others?

What do you mean by a supported claim? What is permissible to you? Are you looking for primary sources only? Are secondary sources allowed or not allowed? In SA's mind she supported her position with the amount of population who feel this way. Why is this unacceptable to you? Is this considered a secondary source? Why is this out of bounds?

Are you only looking for posts in which the person made a misogynistic statement?

Don't tell me to do my own research or get educated. I could do my own research and inadvertently misunderstand what the material says. Others have told me this as well. They see this as laziness. Part of my learning, growing and understanding is to be able to discuss what I am educated myself on. Why is this considered laziness? I don't get it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 8:54 am

I know the question was directed to Dox.

Fundamentally, I don't believe in censorship. I believe, on this site, that intelligent people predominate. If somebody makes an absurdly misogynist/mis-anything statement, they will be called on it. Or they will be ignored (preferably, the latter). There's nothing which deflates the credibility of any statement more than the ignoring of the statement. This is the premise behind "don't feed the troll."

In this case, however, I believe an objective standard as to what constitutes "misogyny,, misandry, etc." should be created by a panel who does not indulge in rhetorical arguments. There should, instead, be an amiable discussion about it.

When the debate devolves into name-calling, accusations, threats to "go to the mods," and personal attacks, then nothing gets accomplished. People retreat to their respective "trenches," thereby creating a fruitless "war of attrition."

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 4:18 pm

AngelRho wrote:
You're projecting. You've allowed your apparent negative relationship with your father to bias your attitudes towards people whose views you dislike.

I believe accusing someone of trolling violates TOS. I'm telling the mods. lol :lol:

I see, so by your reasoning, anytime I disagree with someone it means I'm projecting my feelings about my father onto them? That's rich, and a good way to demean anything I might ever have to say. Has it occured to you that perhaps I disagree with OOM because I have a completely different definition of the word 'sexism' in my head than she does? lol And NOT because I didn't get along with my father? By all means, tell the mods, if you want them to see that you don't have a very good grasp of the concept of 'projecting', but I stand by my assessment of your trolling. If the shoe fits you might as well wear it, AngelRho.

Edit: If you're going to use your 'superior skills' of psychoanalysis on me, I'm going to have to ask that you show me a direct quote of mine in which I was projecting, otherwise I'm just going to never take anything you say seriously again. Good luck with that...

Edit again: On second thought, you might as well not bother, because I already know I'm just going to stop taking you seriously so it might be best to just skip ahead to that. Have a good day! :D

--Aldous Huxley

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 5:31 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:
Have a good day! :D

Will do?and you do the same! 8) See ya around. :D

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 5:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
When the debate devolves into name-calling, accusations, threats to "go to the mods," and personal attacks, then nothing gets accomplished. People retreat to their respective "trenches," thereby creating a fruitless "war of attrition."

Indeed. I've joked about going to the mods on several occasions, but I've only actually done that ONCE to prove a point. Apparently someone took issue with something I said, I wasn't backing down, and they got offended enough to call the mods on me. I thought it was a silly thing to do, but the truth was that I was simply responding to someone else who was insanely more vulgar and offensive than I was. The person who reported me seemed to have liked this guy more than she liked me, which is anyone's prerogative. But I thought it crazy-stupid this guy could get away with murder and I'm not allowed to so much as sneeze. So, yeah, I reported the guy tit-for-tat, not because I was honestly that offended by what he said, but just on principle. I've never done that since.

The only reason I joked about going to the mods in THIS thread was that's what a lot of points in this thread boil down to? You hear something you disagree with, you get offended, you go to the mods making some "-ist" claim on way or another. You get banned, and whoever makes the "-ist" claim gets to spew whatever self-righteous "-ist" language he or she feels like since he or she is in some bizarre protected class and the mods have to do everything he or she says--and there won't be any "offensive" language since we've already banned everyone who'd even deign to disagree.

If true equality exists here, I have every bit a right to disqualify anyone at any time by playing the "-ist" card. Someone makes an ageist remark and I call that out, suddenly I'm a troll. Well, that's a personal attack, which violates TOS. I'm not the only one who sees how silly this is, right???

@Nights: You SHOULDN'T take my remarks that seriously. Your emoticons seemed to indicate you weren't being all that serious yourself, so I just went with it. And I really wasn't being sarcastic in my reply to your "Have a good day!" That's my standard response.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 6:10 pm

Yes, and when someone actually DOES make an ageist remark, feel free to call them out. I, for one, don't disqualify anyone EVER based on their age and so I don't appreciate being accused of doing so. I form my opinions of things using the brain I was born with and the experience I've acquired in my lifetime and that is all, just like most people. If someone older than me expresses an opinion that I don't agree with then I'm going to question that opinion. If someone younger than me expresses an opinion that I don't agree with I'm going to do the same. Same goes for someone my age. You started this off by saying that 'others' might not be taking me seriously because I'm so much younger than them, so in a sense it's those people you should be directing the title 'ageist' to if you think that's actually what's happening. I only responded to you the way I did because it seemed like you were saying that YOU don't take me seriously because of my age, but all I said was that advanced age does not = wisdom/more experience, there's no ageism in that. If I feel like something has merit then I agree with it, if I feel as though it doesn't, then I don't. It's quite simple. Age is not a factor, neither is there projection in that.

Unless of course you meant astral projection because I have been trying really hard to hone my astral projection skills. It hasn't been going so well, though. (I KNEW I should have taken the brown acid...)

--Aldous Huxley

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 6:14 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:
Unless of course you meant astral projection because I have been trying really hard to hone my astral projection skills. It hasn't been going so well, though. (I KNEW I should have taken the brown acid...)

the brown acid is bad, man! if you've taken any of the brown acid you should proceed to the medical tent. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 6:24 pm

All this brings to mind the old cartoon about the wolf and the sheepdog.

At dawn, the wolf and the sheepdog arrive at "work." They both punch in at the same time, in the same place; they both seem to be co-workers who get along quite well: "Hello, Ralph", "Hi, Sam."

After they punch, the wolf goes off into a cave, and the sheepdog keeps watch over his owner's sheep. The wolf plots furiously to obtain the sheep; the sheepdog vigilantly protects the sheep. Both deal each other blows which would, in real life, probably kill them. This goes on for about 12 hours.

Then, suddenly, at dawn, the whistle blows, like the Flintstones' whistle, meaning "time to go home."

The wolf and the sheepdog cease their antics, and they both walk to the time clock. Both are bandaged up extensively, and walk on crutches. After both punch, they become buddies again: "Bye, Ralph, see you tomorrow." " Well do, Sam, say hi to the wife for me."

I think this is what's happening here.

After the arguments, just like after a softball game, all participants sit around and talk over beers, sodas, Grenadines, etc. The argument is forgotten. Everybody's best buddies again.

Until the whistle blows for the next argument!

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 6:37 pm

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 6:42 pm

starvingartist wrote:
the brown acid is bad, man! if you've taken any of the brown acid you should proceed to the medical tent. :lol:

I don't know man, I feel as though the brown acid is going to be the best aid in my lifelong struggle toward achieving astral projection, however I will keep the existence of the medical tent in mind just in case sh** gets real and everything goes awry. :)

--Aldous Huxley

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 6:44 pm

You found it, Ann!! !! !! !

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 8:48 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:
Yes, and when someone actually DOES make an ageist remark, feel free to call them out. I, for one, don't disqualify anyone EVER based on their age and so I don't appreciate being accused of doing so. I form my opinions of things using the brain I was born with and the experience I've acquired in my lifetime and that is all, just like most people. If someone older than me expresses an opinion that I don't agree with then I'm going to question that opinion. If someone younger than me expresses an opinion that I don't agree with I'm going to do the same. Same goes for someone my age. You started this off by saying that 'others' might not be taking me seriously because I'm so much younger than them, so in a sense it's those people you should be directing the title 'ageist' to if you think that's actually what's happening. I only responded to you the way I did because it seemed like you were saying that YOU don't take me seriously because of my age, but all I said was that advanced age does not = wisdom/more experience, there's no ageism in that. If I feel like something has merit then I agree with it, if I feel as though it doesn't, then I don't. It's quite simple. Age is not a factor, neither is there projection in that.

Dude?it's cool. Quit freakin' out already! lol

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:12 pm

No, it's really not cool with me, but that aside, there was actually no freaking out involved in that response. If you're going to continue to insist I said something ageist, I'm going to have to insist on telling you to stop saying things about me that aren't true, whether you are joking or not.

If you stop making things up about me THEN, and only then, will it be "cool". Seems only fair, I think, seeing as how I'm not doing anything like that to you. :)

--Aldous Huxley

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 12:13 am

Has anyone discovered any of this pervasive sexism the mods are ignoring yet? Preferably, without using the WABAC machine?