Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2005, 5:05 pm

I'm interested in going to ANI's "Autreat 2005" thingy in Philadelphia this year...can anyone give me more info about it...how is it, what's it like, and will anybody else from WP.net be going this year...and where in Philly is it located?

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2005, 5:42 pm

Wow. Does that like interesting.

I found out more by a google. This site has info.

http://ani.autistics.org/

BeeBee

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2005, 6:12 pm

I'm really glad you posted this. I want very badly to go to Autreat. I don't kno wif I'll be able to afford it though, the retreat is soem $355 by itself, not counting transportation! :(

Has anyone here been to it in years past? Is it worthwhile? It sounds really great.

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2005, 6:13 pm

However, that's exactly what was printed on their newsletter...I know all that stuff...how do you think I found out about it? :(

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2005, 2:44 am

I would like to go as well. I heard it was the most aspie-friendly and least condecending seminar/workshop/place/camp to go to.
I would like to hear if someone have been there, cause I can't just trust what I read on the website now can I..

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2005, 12:50 pm

Is England closer to Norway than America...they have something like that there as well. :)

But of couse, I'd be going to the one in Philly...it's only 2 hours away...that would mean 2 summer camps this year, as I've gone to a week-long camp for disabled kids that's only 30 minutes from me fo 2 years now(I've made friends there, but they all lived over an hour away from me, which sucks.). :)

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2005, 2:48 pm

What is the one in England called? Do you know the website? And yeah I'd rather go to England.

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2005, 2:55 pm

I can't remember...I'm in America, so I don't need to think about these things :(

codeman38
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2005, 3:26 pm

I'd really be interested in going, if it weren't all the way in Pennsylvania. I could probably negotiate on the actual cost of attendance (which is high enough, considering the rate for those without full-time employment!),, but even if I could get that decreased, paying for transportation would still be an issue. Yes, I checked Greyhound and Amtrak as well, and those were in the $200 range for a round trip.

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2005, 3:35 pm

Well, I live a 2-hour drive fom Philly, so I could make it this year though probably not the one after that as they do a different location evert year.

Hey, at least you'd have gotten to take Amtrak if you could come...I've always wanted to ride Amtrak, never been due to the cost, it goes into the hundreds just for a 200-mile trip!

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2005, 2:05 am

Are you sure about that? This is at least the second time they've held it in Philadelphia, at the campus.
Bec, here is a website from an autistic person about her experiences at Autreat. It takes the form of a diary and is available at
http://mjane.zolaweb.com/Autreat.html

I had saw the name of the UK autreat just yesterday but I cannot remember it now, sorry.

171NewYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2005, 10:33 am

But it will be different for me, that person's an adult and I'd be chilling with the teen crowd. 8)

But do people really come all the way from Seattle? :o

P. S. I sent an e-mail and apparently they don't give you the address until you register. :(

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2005, 2:03 am

171NewYork wrote:
But do people really come all the way from Seattle? :o

Yep. I met Jane from Seattle. I came from California (I'm not going this year though). People have even come from Israel, Japan, and New Zealand. Basically from all over.

Quote:
P. S. I sent an e-mail and apparently they don't give you the address until you register. :(

Yeah, they had trouble with a stalker (who's still active on the net) so they just want to make sure you're not him. He's made some pretty violent threats against autistic people in the past.