Would I be any more fulfilled if I went to university?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 11:13 pm

So... assuming that fulfillment is generally the best thing in life (at least it would be for me), and one possible way I could find fulfillment there is if (presumably) in the far future I could get my dream job (in neuroscience)... but it seems almost impossible to get there (as my Access course didn't have any sciences, nor was it possible to choose any... and geographically most unis are just not personally viable)... but, other than that I find fulfillment in merely reading about the subject and many other things... so, what's the point of suffering so much just in the vague hope of getting something remotely inspiring in this dying world? I could just as easily feel fulfilled right now by watching movies, playing video games, listening to the radio, and reading... so, what's the point of being tens of thousands of pounds in debt for a piece of paper that's not even absolutely likely to lead me anywhere after all? (We've heard about those degree-holders shelf-stackers... the zenith of fulfillment.)

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2014, 11:15 pm

Do Khan Academy and also go to university sites, download their syllabi and torrent the textbooks found there, work through the problems yourself and rely on the solution manuals. like do a complete course in bio if that's what you want to do.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 9:42 am

A university education is a rich education.

It also provides you with tangible qualifications.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 5:44 pm

No.

Go to college/university because you really want to, and you can afford it.

Getting into debt for a piece of paper IS NOT fulfilling.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 8:17 pm

I agree with Zer0netgain about really wanting it. I went to school because I "really" wanted it.

However, in this day and age, one must obtain qualifications. The competition out there is too fierce.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 6:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I agree with Zer0netgain about really wanting it. I went to school because I "really" wanted it.

However, in this day and age, one must obtain qualifications. The competition out there is too fierce.

But college/university is often the least cost-effective way to do that....especially if that paper makes you only one of hundreds of thousands who have the same credential.

Employers (USA) care more about ability proven in the workplace than a piece of paper. People who have experience have a better chance than someone who only has education.

Might as well get an entry-level or apprentice job and go to school WHILE working than to go to school and hope it results in a job post-grad.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 7:23 am

I wish there were more apprenticeship-type situations in the US, like there are in places like the UK.

Some people just are not academically-inclined. Provision must be made for them as well.

It seems as if most of the "trade school" type places in the US are at least close to being scam artists.

slushy9
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2014, 7:47 pm

because if you dont go to college after high school, you are an outcast and seen as a loser

some people just want to fit in or are pressured by their parents

if you feel fulfilled by watching movies, go for it

im getting a degree in comp sci most likely so I can hopefully get a good job