THIS MIGHT BE CONSTRUED AS SEXIST

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 12:08 am

What I am referring to is discussions on actual actions each of us is willing to take part in to improve the lives of all Autistics. I HOPE this is considered sexist, because then maybe it will actually be discussed.

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2014, 12:12 am

How's that sexist? Did you just use "sexist" in the title to lure us into the thread?

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 12:13 am

My cover is blown!

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 12:19 am

I completely disagree with OPs statement

Here are a couple of things I got out of reading too much into the OP.
They are not literally there but its probably what she was trying to convey

There this thread should remain alive for a while

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 12:46 am

so, how do you disagree?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 1:06 am

Sexism happens everywhere to any gender whether your a man or a woman, sexism towards women is common and recognized however sexism towards men is ignored and laughed at I dont think any gender is to blame for this just on how society sees it. I will set some examples like I did in the other thread. Society sees it as this:

"Women belong in the kitchen making sandwitches!" =sexist

"Men belong in the garage fixing the womans car!"=not sexist

Now both phrases are equally sexist and I find them both sexist however the majority of society would disagree or call me a misogynist for simply pointing out sexism goes both ways. They could simply say that I have no right to be offended by the second phrase. Society sees sexism only in women and it only goes one way regardless for you cannot be sexist towards men because it does not exist it only exists towards women. Society needs to change and the populous needs to change and learn not to stereotype genders or harbor grand hatred for one another we are all human.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 1:40 am

vickygleitz wrote:
so, how do you disagree?

Go back to the first page and reread my original post. Am I asking for too much?

Seriously though maybe we should stick to creating spinoff threads on POR but they would get mad at us for taking over their section

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 3:11 am

I like the capital letters. Very attention catching.

Vicky, did you post in Love and Dating on purpose?

Because in a sense every act of love and every time a person with autism takes a chance and tries to date, they may improve the lives of all people with autism if they are out and recognized-respected for their choices.

A lot of things though are done to benefit the person's self but can benefit all.

I hope you just need positive discussion and don't need every word to make sense. That makes the world better for all, too. I get too speak and try because you created the opportunity, I have something to say, I suspect my point may not come across and you gave me the opportunity anyway.

Thank you for that.

I think making the world better for all autistics makes the world better for all people. Most just won't know that. But it does.

Oops, you're talking about improving the lives. But same thing.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 4:37 am

THIS IS SPARTA!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 7:38 am

We, the Athenians, have to vanquish the Spartans!

I like Vicky's methodology. The emphasis is on improvement, rather than on the stultifying influence of victimization ideology.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 8:03 am

Sunday we returned from bringing my son to Ocate Cliffs to work on a retreat center being built and will later be run,exclusively by Autistics. We stayed a full day to discuss various programs in rhizome project, and will be returning next week to pick my son up.

Now,this retreat center being built is in no way related to AutHaven 2015, which will be the third week in March, is all inclusive at $150 for all 4 nights,food, etc.

Now, the leap into sexism. There is a girl at the work camp that my son likes who also likes him. If my son attempts to steal a kiss one evening without first asking permission, since I never told him that he should ask first, does that make me a sexist accomplice to kissing?

While this'incredibly important"topic is being discussed,I am hopeful that occassionally some ideas for improving lives of our Autistic brothers and sisters will also pop up and [with permission]be embraced.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 8:10 am

All the girl has to do is turn her head. And maybe say "No," or something more diplomatic like: "the time for that is later."

LOL....it's not like the guy's going to pass a note asking for a kiss!

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 8:23 am

Probably not a lot of note passing in the wilderness. Also,they probably both smell like last weeks leftovers at his point, so now would NOT be the time.

Are you coming to AutHaven next year?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 9:13 am

It would be nice to come. Is it going to be in Colorado?

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 7:16 pm

OP, don't you think it does "improve the lives of all autistics" to talk about how we can create a safe online environment where all of us can come and participate without feeling attacked or demeaned because of our gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.?

I've done a lot of tangible work aimed at helping people with ASD and the broader disability community over the years, through working at a social services agency and volunteering at an Aspie support group and meet-up group. And, I've loved it. But, right now, due to health issues, it's harder for me to travel and participate in the 'real world' AS community, like I used to. I'd like to at least be able to have positive interactions with other aspies here, online, but have stopped coming to these forums as much as I used to because the vitriol is too draining sometimes. Other women who used to be regular posters have also said they stopped participating because of how reading mysogynistic posts makes them feel.

Personally, I'm kind of surprised you'd be making jokes about discussing the problems with sexism on this site and addressing them, if you want to improve the lives of people with ASD. It's a legitimate issue that does effect members of the ASD community, both male and female. (Not challenging men who hold sexist views to change them isn't going to do those men any favors when it comes to establishing healthy relationships).

Just my two cents.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 7:53 pm

Sometimes, the "sexism" is borne out of screwed-up ideology, such as that found within the "mens rights" movement (I'd never heard of "mens rights" before I came to this forum; I find it an abject absurdity).

Sometimes, however, supposed sexist comments are the product of frustration. Frustrations leads people to generalization. What's needed is not accusations of sexism/sexual assault, etc., but a more objective, non gender-based education as to why generalizations are harmful. When someone is accused of sexual assault because they proffer a kiss while misinterpreting nonverbal "signals," that someone usually is not inspired to be educated. Obviously, there was no intent on the part of that person to commit a sexual assault.

The actual "vitriol" usually only occurs within the L&D and PPR subforums. It's men reacting to womans' vitriol, which is in reaction to "sexist" comments. It may spill over to other subforums, particularly the Members Only one. However, for the most part, people are supportive of others within this site.