Page 7 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 2:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
When I first started as a store-front "psychic", I was amazed at how easy it was to fool people into believing I had supernatural abilities.  Even better, the more I denied having such abilities, the more the[/color]  suckers  clients were convinced I had them!

This chap appears to have done something similar on a grand scale, with alarming success. He reckoned that of the many Americans he fooled, only a Pentecostal preacher bothered to even ask him, "are you genuine?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT3izBQfh5M

Better quality, if you can get it to play:
https://vimeo.com/46045821

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 2:28 pm

Yes, it all boils down to having enough CONfidence to CONvince people that you are the real deal.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 2:39 pm

just the opposite.

frequently i feel like almost everyone else has a "sixth sense" and i do not.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 2:45 pm

Once, I saw a "tea room" and went in, wanting a cup of tea. The main business there was the reading of the tea leaves, but I was the only customer, and was able to order just the beverage. Then, the lady didn't have enough change. I said I'd get change and return. I left my folder on the table, but walked as if I was not coming back. The "psychic" picked up on my body language, and didn't notice the security I'd left her. She admitted to being surprised I came back, and then I grabbed my stuff. :-) I don't think she had predicted the viability of her business correctly, either.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 2:48 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
. . . frequently i feel like almost everyone else has a "sixth sense" and i do not.
You have been CONned.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 3:01 pm

aghogday, I dont know what T'ype-Two Trigeminal Neuralgia' is like exactly, but it sounds bad, reeeal bad. Only thing I've had that could come close, is probably tooth ache. Sounds like you were crucified and resurrected. Lived to tell. Walked through the valley of darkness, until daylight dawned.

Talking of modes of perception, (psychic or not,) consciousnesses,brains. Ever hear of TPN vs DMN antagonistic networks? they were mapped/discovered about a decade ago, (I think,) by neuroscientists. In a sense it replaces the old left brain /right brain dichotomy/paradigm. It's more nuanced look at what goes on inside the brain. There's two specifically mutually exclusive systems, when one is activated, the other is disabled, and vice versa. One (TPN: Task Positive Network) involves analytical logical mechanical recesses, the other (DMN: Default Mode network) more interpersonal process, like social empathy, emotions. Its complex, there are scientific papers out there on it. I read some about a year ago.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 3:54 pm

theprisoner wrote:
aghogday, I dont know what T'ype-Two Trigeminal Neuralgia' is like exactly, but it sounds bad, reeeal bad. Only thing I've had that could come close, is probably tooth ache. Sounds like you were crucified and resurrected. Lived to tell. Walked through the valley of darkness, until daylight dawned.

Talking of modes of perception, (psychic or not,) consciousnesses,brains. Ever hear of TPN vs DMN antagonistic networks? they were mapped/discovered about a decade ago, (I think,) by neuroscientists. In a sense it replaces the old left brain /right brain dichotomy/paradigm. It's more nuanced look at what goes on inside the brain. There's two specifically mutually exclusive systems, when one is activated, the other is disabled, and vice versa. One (TPN: Task Positive Network) involves analytical logical mechanical recesses, the other (DMN: Default Mode network) more interpersonal process, like social empathy, emotions. Its complex, there are scientific papers out there on it. I read some about a year ago.

Actually, Iain McGilchrist's Work
on Left And Right Brain Processes
Are New And Also Replace the Old
Dichotomy of Left Brain And Right Brain
Specific Skills; It is More of A Difference in

Process of How That

Impacts The Way

We View And
Do the World Bigger
Or Smaller Picture This way As Metaphor;

And Yes, i Am Somewhat Familiar With 'the Default
Network' And Also too, How When it is Not Regulated
Well Folks Have Difficulty Filtering Out Stimulus From the

Environment; And Interestingly For Folks With Higher So-Called
Standard IQ That is Often More A Reflection of Mechanical
Cognition, They Seem to Be Able to Balance Themselves Better

Than Folks Who
Are Not So

Cognitively

Gifted As Such
As Without That Balance

Folks Tend to Go Off in 'Dreamtime'
As such for Metaphor too And Have A Very
Hard Time Returning, if Ever At All; And Of
Course, Nature And Nurture And Environmental
Challenges Make A Difference to How Epigenetic
Effects Come For Positive or Negative Change As
Well As Positive or Negative Neuroplasticity too...

And Yes, Type Two Trigeminal Neuralgia is Kind of
Like An Abscess Tooth, Yet it Was in the Area of my Right
Eye And Ear That No Drug Would Touch; Yep, It's Kind of Like
A Dentist Drill With No Novocaine too As That is A Very Painful

Place
to Have
Neuralgia
Issues Indeed...

There is No Real Science
Specific Explanation Why
The Pain Comes and Goes...

Mine Hasn't Come Back in
101 Months, Almost 102 Months
As of January 19, 2021; True there

Are Some Spans of Dates That Are too
'Holy and Sacred' Without Pain Ya Remember

As Truly Hell Will Make Even 'Normal Life' Seem Like
Heaven This Way So Much of How We Experience Joy
in Life Will Be Related to Points of Reference of How Far
We Have Escaped The

DarK to LiGHT

Indeed MaKinG
That Pain
A Greatest

'Job' Gift too in Life;

The Old Bible Has A Lot of
Old Archetypal-Like Stories
That Will always Apply to Life
Experiences DarK Thru LiGHT

For A While Longer At Least

Classically Evolved As We Are For Now..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 5:31 pm

just the opposite.

frequently i feel like almost everyone else has a "sixth sense" and i do not.

I have the anti sixth sense or the minus sixth sense.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 5:43 pm

Jakki wrote:
this thread is starting to cause me to lose my faith in stage psychics. :o

I personally still find John Edwards very entertaining. He uses a very intuitive form of deductive reasoning.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 5:50 pm

just the opposite. frequently i feel like almost everyone else has a "sixth sense" and i do not.

i was feeling mostly the same way until it laid itself on me. this revelation happened to me after i prayed for answers to my problems. :idea:

Nemesis2k7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2022, 3:46 am

I have noticed this about myself. I seem to "know" whats going to happen next. Its..weird. And i am often correct. like 90% of the time. scary.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 6:08 am

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 10:38 am

Nemesis2k7 wrote:
I have noticed this about myself. I seem to "know" whats going to happen next. Its..weird. And i am often correct. like 90% of the time. scary.

Can you do that with anything that would demonstrate your predictive skill, such as current affairs?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 10:44 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Nemesis2k7 wrote:
Can you do that with anything that would demonstrate your predictive skill, such as current affairs?
If the alleged prediction is posted after a past event has occurred, then the alleged prediction is invalid.  The prediction must be posted before the predicted event occurs for the prediction to be valid.

As a side note, I have noticed that prognosticators often use excuses like "The future is in constant flux", "There are many branches in the timestream", and "The winds of time blow erratically" to explain their failed predictions.

:roll:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 12:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
If the alleged prediction is posted after a past event has occurred, then the alleged prediction is invalid.  The prediction must be posted before the predicted event occurs for the prediction to be valid.

As a side note, I have noticed that prognosticators often use excuses like "The future is in constant flux", "There are many branches in the timestream", and "The winds of time blow erratically" to explain their failed predictions.

:roll:

Yes, I meant "can you predict a current affairs event that will happen so that we can see how the prediction pans out?" For example, I'd like to know what's going to happen to the UK pound to US dollar exchange rate over the next 3 months.

My favourite excuse is that supernatural events don't happen in the presence of skeptics, but I've not heard it used for a long time. I gather the idea is that the spirits stay away from people who are hostile towards them, but I'm not hostile, I just don't believe amazing statements without good evidence. Why that should annoy humans or supernatural beings, I don't know.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 12:16 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
. . . I'd like to know what's going to happen to the UK pound to US dollar exchange rate over the next 3 months. . .
I would like to know what tonight's MegaMillions Lottery numbers will be!

:lol: