Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 3:58 am

For the year, probably even less than, finish my contract with mobile operator.

I wonder how the phone can choose Android phone or some cheap versions of the Nokia Lumia.

Currently I have a phone Sony Xperia J, I ​​have to admit that in spite of all the features offered by the Android phone, comfort is much worse than my old Nokia 5235, I mean mainly on the use of the touch screen when pushing something nokia phone is doing what I wanted . When I press something on the screen Xperia phone is choosing something else, like writing text messages did it so much better on the Nokia.

I can not even take it to the service, because I got lost somewhere warranty card :(

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 6:26 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
...I wonder how the phone can choose Android phone or some cheap versions of the Nokia Lumia. ...

The Windows phone probably compares quite favorably to Android (although I've never used one).

The problem with Windows phones (at least in the US) is that Microsoft products are not thought to be "cool" so very few apps are created for Windows Phones. If having access to the cool apps is a priority, then you probably have to get Android. If not, then get whatever you like best (and can afford).

Golubaya_Krov
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2014, 11:35 am

Problem is, the Xperia J is very light spec'ed. A single core CPU combined with only 512MB of RAM are definitely insufficient to get Android ICS running with decent user experience. So you may have some hiccups while using the on-screen keyboard, switching between apps, or even scrolling a webpage inside the browser.
On the other hand, Windows Phone 8 runs very well even on the cheapest Nokia Lumia, and cheap Android phones won't hardly have any system updates. So yeah, if it is not important for you to have fancy apps or latest system out there, you can consider buying a cheap/affordable WP8 device.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 12:29 pm

And what do you think about Nokia Lumia 625 my mobile subscription end next year, my mobile operator now offer Nokia Lumia for two year contract for 50 pln per month (that is exactly what i pay now)

http://www.orange.pl/klienci_ind/smart_ ... ssType=NEW
(Polish)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 10:05 am

Android is a better platform than Windows, as it's an open platform, and has more apps for it.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 1:41 pm

Nokia has just released the Nokia X2 which runs Android.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2014, 8:41 am

This really comes down to personal preference :) My preference is Android due to the open source aspect.

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2014, 6:23 pm

IPhones rarely get viruses, unlike other smartphones. There are many more apps for IPhone than Windows phone.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 12:41 pm

A windows phone would be about my last choice. Maybe just a little ahead of one that doesn't work.

I'd take an Android phone over any of Apple's phones any day.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 1:47 pm

^ This.

lemmyd95
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jul 2014, 4:44 pm

The one thing I hate about Android is that Google has done too much with it in the sense that it doesn't commpliment the Linux kernl it is based on.

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2014, 8:00 pm

One drawback of IPhone is that ITunes sucks ass (IMHO), and if you want a good way to manage and listen to music you have to do some research and learn to use an alternative program (you'll still need ITunes installed on your PC if you use it with your phone). I use CopyTrans Manager, which is free and infinitely better than ITunes, which seems designed only to make money for Apple.

Another is that the Safari Web browser is not much better (again, my opinion). Mozilla doesn't support any Firefox apps so there's not a "real", trustworthy Firefox browser.

On the other hand, I've never heard of an IPhone getting a virus.

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2014, 8:04 pm

Sorry, I just noticed that my last post was off-topic, since the question was about Windows phones versus Android.

I've never seen anyone use a Windows phone, nor even read anything about them or about apps for them. There aren't that many apps available. I think Microsoft has failed at the smartphone business. You might as well get a Zune. Remember them? If you don't, I rest my case.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Jul 2014, 9:25 am

^ No, I agree. Apple can kiss my as*. :lol:

I've used all three. If I had to rank them, it would be Android>Windows>Apple. Android is a really flexible and popular platform, and there's just more applications for it. Windows phones are actually fairly robust, and getting a cheap Nokia Windows phone wouldn't be too bad of a decision either, so that's also a fairly nice alternative if you're not the type to like gimmicky apps.

Apple is my absolute last resort. Unfortunately, since my Galaxy SIII broke recently, I had to switch to another phone. Since I got a discount through work, Sprint just decided to give me a free iPhone 4S. Goddammit I hate this phone so much. I had rooted my SIII and modified the f*ck out of it, and I'm not used to having something that is so locked down. Not to mention that they're pretty much made of glass, and if you fry the battery like I did with my SIII once, you can't just order a new battery on Amazon, you have to get a brand new f*cking phone. It's more like a newborn child than a smartphone, I hate it so much.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2014, 3:54 pm

I would really love the iPhone but I have Android and it is okay. Just don't get the Prism 2 like I have because you will need to replace the SD card just to get a voicemail saved. I don't think Windows phone is any good.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jul 2014, 1:30 am

Android has many user created apps while Windows has apps only designed for a Windows OS, which is why I prefer Android over Windows.