Why do Russians think that Russianness is a different form o

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 8:37 am

Why do Russians think that Russianness is a different form of civilization (apart Werst and East)?

I am a Pole and so Slav, as Russians, Poles We always disagreed with our Slavic "oldersr brothers" from the east :-)
The Russians apparently believe that the Poles and Czechs are not true slaves, because we are not Orthodox, a true Slav should be a follower of the Orthodox Church, meanwhile we are followers of the Western Church, Roman Catholic or Protestant

I heard that in Russia there is a belief that Russia is in itself a civilization distinct from the western world and the world of the East.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 8:47 am

Wow I never knew Russians thought that! I always knew they wanted to own parts of the west but I didn't know they felt culturally superior. I thought they just wanted all Slavs to be united in their federation.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 10:17 am

pawelk1986 wrote:

I heard that in Russia there is a belief that Russia is in itself a civilization distinct from the western world and the world of the East.

This is partly true due to the fact that there wasa lot of cultural interchange, as well as intermarriage during Mongol and Tatar invasions. --You will notice that a lot of Russians and Ukrainians have a distinctly Asian look to them.

That being said though, Russian culture isn't that much differant than western cultures save for the fact that feudalism was still technically the rule of Russia until 1917, and Bolshevism and Stalinism weren't much better, and probably much worse in many ways.

At the same time, I don't know why Vovka is giving the Orthodox Church so much leeway in Russia, as it didn't exactly serve the interests of the average Russians before Russia became officially athiest during the communist era.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 12:03 pm

Nationalism is really huge in Russia, for some reason. It's always seemed like a pretty miserable place to live, but that's just me.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 4:20 am

I think because they have looked East rather than to the rest of Europe, and have been the center of an empire for a long time.