Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 7:09 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
People used to put factories here because we are poor and they could pay low wages,then they found other places out of the country that they could lay even less and moved the factories there.We had a Levi's plant,it moved to Mexico.
Ironically we have tons of chicken plants,Tyson's, most of the workers there are from out of the country.

Was it solely a labor issue or where there other factors?
Example: The steel industry went to hell not only due to labor issues but also from using outdated technology in the manufacturing processes and raw material issues from the expense of having to ship iron ore down from the upper great lakes.

Misslizard wrote:
Doubt it,most cotton is from the South,

And iron ore comes from the north. After being made into tannerite pellets it still had to be shipped through the great lakes followed by a nice train ride to someplace else in the north. Did Levi's buy raw cotton and have their own cotton gin or did they buy it allready in cloth form? It's all about how much it costs to make a product vs. how much it can be competitively sold for.

Quote:
not sure about the textile mills,as far as I know the sewing machines worked fine,many people had put in years at the Levi's plant only to lose out.
It's not about whether the sewing machines worked fine it's about the streamlining and automation (to include autonomation) of the manufacturing process.

Quote:
They just left for cheaper labor.Seems wrong.Levis being made somewhere else and not here in America.
I doubt that's the sole reason but it's the narrative of the left to blame "the man" for being greedy. When one industry goes kaput the wise thing is to think outside the box and look for another one or ones to take it's place, not just lament over what was and how wrong it is.

I never saw the inside of the place.from what employes told me they were just trying to sew jeans as fast as they could.People can work for Pace Industries,you smelt aluminum and when you get off work you will snot black stuff.They have a high turn over rate,unless you get a good job running a lift in shipping,and no one quits those jobs.Or you can work for Cloud corp and breathe glue,or Tanknetics (not your kind of tanks),and breathe plastic vapors.Get lousy pay and cancer too.Yay,the American dream,I want a crappy job AND a big tumor.

Does that mean they are somehow are getting around OSHA standards and don't conduct safety training, perform safety inspections, and don't issue personal protective equipment (PPE)? I know they sure hold our feet to the fire when it comes to ANYTHING having to do with safety.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 7:21 pm

You know they are a joke.Friend worked on a oil rig,the small kind like here in Ar,maybe a double,the rig fell over and the employes went out and barked the trees up where it looked like the support lines would be,just so they could keep OSHA from shutting them down.
You work a gubment :D job,of course they are strict.Maybe monitor you for paper cuts in the rest room.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 7:47 pm

/\ OSHA isn't infallible but I have a hard time imagining an aluminum or chemical plant being able to get away with not providing safety measures. When I was a kid my old man worked in a chemical plant (and it wasn't a gubmint job). Some of the people there were bitching about the chemicals making their snot turn colors but at the same time they would not wear the respirators that for a fact WERE provided to each employee. They were abundant enough even for the old man to snag one to bring home for me play with. The first time I put it on the old man said I looked like a wasp.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 8:09 pm

I'm not OSHA so I'm not going in there to inspect.Its possible they are not wearing the respirators,but it's hot in there and maybe they take then off to be more comfortable,not a good ideal.But no one cares what happens here,when I lived in SoArk the small town near me,Chidester,(featured in the Scorsese movie Box Car Bertha),the constable used to set the town dump on fire every Sunday,yes,nothing smells better on Sunday morning than burning plastic wafting thru the community.There was a major explosion in The Area,that's its name,in East Camden at a plant that made flares,Traco or Traycore,not sure of the spelling.Well,someone sparked and blew the place up from hell to breakfast.A few died and a few were horribly burned.I really doubt Arkansas workers are high on OSHA's list.Lots of other weird stories from there about mutated deer with two noses.General Dynamics and the former Aerojet are out there,it's a strange place with lots of abandoned thick concrete walls with radiation signs on them.Out in the middle of the swamps,easy to get lost.
I hear the same horror stories from people who worked petroleum refineries in LA.Lake Charles is an area that has been screwed by industry.You get a job,than get sick from it years later.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 8:13 pm

/\ I don't know how long ago that was but workplace safety has come a long way.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm

That's possible,most of the stories are from people my age or slightly older.Some are in a bad way from what happened.They deserve the disability they get.My bio mom gets a occasional asbestos check,lots of people got sick from that,and it was everywhere.
Don't know if you ever lived in a paper mill town,but the one they had in Camden,Ar would eat the paint off cars.Workers had to drive thru a car wash when they left or you would have a rust bucket in a few years.But what kept it out of the air?You could smell it everywhere,sulfury,like cabbage.Now the fish isn't safe to eat below there,dioxin.Then the hazardous waste incinerator in Texarkana,If I remember right they tried to burn radioactive materials.
Then the superfund sites......I could go on,but the poorer Southern states were just a dumping ground for years,people so desperate for jobs that no one noticed the or cared what was happening.Similar to the coal miners in Appalachia.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 8:57 pm

/\ I can't say I've had the honor of living near a paper mill. The coastal lowlands of Georgia and S. Carolina have a nasty smell like a salty fart if you can imagine that. Some attribute it to the paper mills and/or the tidal swamps. It's raunchy and I don't think I'd want to live there if I could help it.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 9:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
NobodyKnows wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I think you know that there are plenty of people who through circumstance are stuck in minimum wage jobs - especially since outsourcing is so popular with corporate America.

You mean the outsourcing that Clinton & Gore made possible by championing NAFTA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XEziSYRqhU

Even George H. W. Bush had been uncomfortable with it. And wasn't Perot (who opposed it) an example of corporate America?

Sure, Clinton and Gore made the mistake of being sold on an unregulated free market. But it also has to be remembered, the majority of Democratic representatives opposed NAFTA, while Clinton had to depend largely on the Republicans for support.
And while Bush was uncomfortable about it, I have to ask, when did he feel this way? Was it initially when it was being voted on? Or was it in retrospect?

I was going by the discussion in the Larry King episode that I linked to. It's just after the 2-minute mark. On re-watching it, I'm not 100% sure that Larry King was referring to Bush Sr. when he paraphrased "the president" saying 'Well, I'm basically for it. I want to see the side agreements, I want to hear what the unions object to, and then I'll come back and let you know.' The reason that I'm uncertain is that earlier King referred to Gore as the "vice president" (rather than vice president-elect), and then to Clinton as "Governor - now President-Elect Clinton." The interview that King paraphrased would have been shot in October 1992, but I haven't found it yet. Finding that would clear it up.

Quote:
As for Perot - as I recall, he was often at odds with the Republican establishment, who he claimed had threatened to fabricate evidence that his daughter was a lesbian if he didn't drop out of the race.

True. But I also remember some aggressive smears by left-leaning commentators on public radio, even though Perot supported a gas tax and other policies that Democrats often favor. I think that both sides were scared of him.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 8:35 am

chris5000 wrote:
thinking in factions is the biggest trap ever the founding fathers even heavily warn against it

^ this

It is also the whole reason why Abraham Lincoln went through with the Civil War in the first place. Yes, he was known as the president who freed the slaves, but he thought that the idea of a divided America could not exist at all. Or in other words that the unity of America is perpetual, and can not be broken. If we start to think that the US can survive in factions is when we are truly doomed as a nation. Despite our differences in politics we're all connected as ONE united nation, and can not survive divided.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 10:10 am

There is no free health care in America, except for those who are in the best unions--and even there, there are deductibles to pay.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 11:45 am

^ This kind of statement amazes me. Here in MN, we had years of debate about the ACA, but nobody seemed to notice until after it passed that we had a very good program for the poor all along. (MinnesotaCare) One of my friends who was a barista was on it, and it covered her newborn as well. There are often no premiums (depends on need). I have no personal experience with them, but both CA and WA seemed to have something similar.

Minnesota Public Radio makes a big deal of presenting themselves as intellectual, but it took a Canadian guest in an unrelated MPR debate to point out that Europe doesn't have a universal health care system either. (If you listen to public radio anywhere in the US, you probably listen to MPR content.)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 12:52 pm

NobodyKnows wrote:
^ This kind of statement amazes me. Here in MN, we had years of debate about the ACA, but nobody seemed to notice until after it passed that we had a very good program for the poor all along. (MinnesotaCare) One of my friends who was a barista was on it, and it covered her newborn as well. There are often no premiums (depends on need). I have no personal experience with them, but both CA and WA seemed to have something similar.

Minnesota Public Radio makes a big deal of presenting themselves as intellectual, but it took a Canadian guest in an unrelated MPR debate to point out that Europe doesn't have a universal health care system either. (If you listen to public radio anywhere in the US, you probably listen to MPR content.)

Then good for Minnesota's medical plan. 8)

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jul 2014, 5:00 pm

NobodyKnows wrote:

Well yes, that's because Europe isn't a country. Several European countries do, though increasingly they exclude immigrants.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 7:21 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
NobodyKnows wrote:

Well yes, that's because Europe isn't a country. Several European countries do, though increasingly they exclude immigrants.

Are those immigrants paying into the system in large enough numbers to pay for the services rendered to all of them?

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 10:09 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
NobodyKnows wrote:

Well yes, that's because Europe isn't a country.

I'm pretty aware of that. (I have family in continental Europe.) But as a loose federation, the EU is comparable to the early United States. Its revenue is based on payments from member states rather than direct taxing authority - the same system that existed in the US under the Articles of Confederation. It lacks a military, which the Continental Congress had, but it has free trade, free travel (including for work and residence) and something similar to the Bill of Rights:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_o ... pean_Union

Quote:
Several European countries do, though increasingly they exclude immigrants.

They're also going through the same states' rights struggle that the US has been engaged in for so many years. Some people want to centralize power in Brussels, and others don't. The trade-offs are pretty much the same. You might gain stability, but you become liable for other states' screw-ups.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 10:39 pm

NobodyKnows wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
NobodyKnows wrote:

Well yes, that's because Europe isn't a country.

I'm pretty aware of that. (I have family in continental Europe.) But as a loose federation, the EU is comparable to the early United States. Its revenue is based on payments from member states rather than direct taxing authority - the same system that existed in the US under the Articles of Confederation. It lacks a military, which the Continental Congress had, but it has free trade, free travel (including for work and residence) and something similar to the Bill of Rights:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_o ... pean_Union

Quote:
Several European countries do, though increasingly they exclude immigrants.

They're also going through the same states' rights struggle that the US has been engaged in for so many years. Some people want to centralize power in Brussels, and others don't. The trade-offs are pretty much the same. You might gain stability, but you become liable for other states' screw-ups.

The Articles of Confederation? Then the American far right ought to be tickled pink over them! :P