Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 12:27 pm

Yep! That´s why I am forbidden to name right or left, when I go on a drive with my friends. I´m only allowd to point :D

Last edited by Jensen on 01 Jul 2014, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 1:26 pm

I'm right handed and I drive on the right side of the road but I still get caught momentarily clueless when someone indicates the right or left anything (e.g. "make a right turn here", "take a look at that picture on the left" etc). It usually takes me a second or three to figure out which is which. One of the things that's helped is a small scar on my left hand that I got when I was 8 and I still find myself glancing down at that when the left/right distinction thing comes up all the sudden.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 1:40 pm

JoelFan wrote:
Hey gang,

Got a question is it a symptom of ASD to have difficulties from time to time differentiating between left and right I'll give an example when I was driving over the weekend somebody told me to make a left at an intersection and I ended up making a right thinking I made a left likewise sometimes when a person asks me to find something they would say it's in the right side of the room and I look towards the left is that common comorbidity for those whom are on the spectrum or is it another issue altogether?
I don't know if it is a spectrum thing but I have that trouble a lot. And for the person who asked if we were left or right handed, Sorry, I did not go back to see who you were, I am ambidextrous but I use my right hand for more things than my left hand even though I prefer my left hand for some things.

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 01 Jul 2014, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 1:43 pm

I too get left and right confused at times. I think it has to do with the fact that left and right are symmetrical, but up and down and front and back are asymmetrical. My brain can figure out FB and UD instantly, but LR, I have to think for a few seconds to figure that out. I don't this is an ASD issue at all since NT's struggle with that as well.

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2014, 6:30 pm

Technically, I know the difference between left and right, but I have trouble quickly putting that into practice. For instance, my first ever car crash happened when my dad told me to turn at the next *left*, and I reacted and turned too quickly at the next turn ... which was *right*. :oops:

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 7:09 pm

I am forever messing up right and left too. People are always saying "No, your other left." :)

It's almost as if I can't generalize the concept of right and left and apply it to different situations. But then again I also mix up right and left in familiar situations too. I open the wrong drawers and cabinets all the time. I'm bit dyslexic and I've always just assumed that that was the cause. And I've gotten a sense that dyslexia is a little more common among aspies than NT's, but I don't know if this is a fact or not.