Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 5:20 pm

How would you draw it? I'm not talking about emptiness. I mean nothingness. Emptiness is empty space. What I'm asking about is a state where even space doesn't exist. Matter doesn't exist but even if it did there'd be no space for it to occupy. What would that kind of nothingness look like? Could somebody paint me a picture (a literal picture)?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 6:40 pm

To start off, I remember the English version of Final Fantasy VI where Kefka said he would "build a monument to non-existence." I always wondered what that would like.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm

"nothingness", and "nonexistence", are two different things.

Nonexistence is the state in which something ( a particular thing) does not exist.

Nothingness is the state in which nothing at all exists.

To illustrate nonexistence simply draw a pic of a mythical creature that does not exist ( a unicorn, a chimera, a griffin, a job that pays a living wage,a cold fusion reactor, anything fantastic like that).

To illustrate nothingness draw the symbol for "the empty set". That zero with the slash through it thing.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 03 Jul 2014, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

RunningFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2014, 9:31 pm

probly a lot like a k hole

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 10:17 pm

Is this actually some sort of art project?

The first thing that comes to my mind is something like a black hole, which isn't exactly "nothingness" I s'pose, but it's the first thing that pops into my head when I think about it. lol

--Aldous Huxley

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 10:35 pm

Remember that time before you were born? There you go.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 12:39 am

I would paint an exploding brain because it is a concept that is impossible to imagine as we have no possible way to conceptualise it and to try would do my head in. Many physicists believe that a state of nothingness can never exist.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 12:49 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
I would paint an exploding brain because it is a concept that is impossible to imagine as we have no possible way to conceptualise it and to try would do my head in. Many physicists believe that a state of nothingness can never exist.

Seems fitting. lol My brain is feeling a bit like that now trying to contemplate it.

--Aldous Huxley

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 2:41 am

From a subjective perspective it is what you know of the universe and of yourself when you are in a deep sleep state.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 5:49 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
Remember that time before you were born? There you go.

Doesnt work, as the 'ingredients' that 'made us' already exist in the form of random particles, atoms, molecules etc.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

American
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2014, 10:01 am

seaturtleisland wrote:
How would you draw it? I'm not talking about emptiness. I mean nothingness. Emptiness is empty space. What I'm asking about is a state where even space doesn't exist. Matter doesn't exist but even if it did there'd be no space for it to occupy. What would that kind of nothingness look like? Could somebody paint me a picture (a literal picture)?

The problem of nothing is fascinating. It's nonsensical to speak of nothing because it is an impossibility. "Nothing" cannot be the state of affairs because the state of affairs is something. For there to be "nothing" there would, paradoxically, have to be something.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 11:26 am

maybe the space between one thought and the next thought. Or more specifically the point just prior to becoming aware of a thought. Not a complete thought, but the initial fragment of a segment that might become a complete thought.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 4:31 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:

It's the reciprocal of infinity. Or perhaps it's the plot to the movie Oblivion.